The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Had to save a young person from being eaten by an elephant last night - about 04:00 if my alarm clock was anything to go by.  :scared:  :superman:

Thought the nocturnal visit was due to watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and encountering the Childcatcher. :no:

But no, it was an elephant coming out of the left field.    :dontknow:

Catch up with you lot tomorrow! 

Best, Andy

• RMweb Gold

The way to get flowing curves is easy.  You lay the curve and then with a couple of clicks, insert the turnout into the track.  It's really nothing like other track planning software and when used properly is a fantastic bit of kit.  

That is exactly what I do except it is not clicks but pencil marks either on paper when planning or on the baseboard when building. When doing the paper planning I start with a defined space then draw in the limiting curves at the ends or corners. then freehand in the linking bits. I can usually draw up a simple plan fairly quickly. Once I like the plan I redraw it paying a bit more attention to turnouts train lengths etc. Perhaps having drawn up all sorts of plans over the years I am able to do it quickly and just find learning Templot slower with little advantage.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I remember now I think I suggested diesel......

Some gales from the north would do nicely. The council charge £400 (paid by person complaining) to adjudicate in tree disputes. It almost seems worth it to get the trees an ASBO with big fines and daily penalties for non compliance (payable by the tree owner not the tree!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some gales from the north would do nicely. The council charge £400 (paid by person complaining) to adjudicate in tree disputes. It almost seems worth it to get the trees an ASBO with big fines and daily penalties for non compliance (payable by the tree owner not the tree!)

The high charge is intended to avoid frivilous complaints and to encourage parties to try and resolve themselves first. However it seems to me that having had one blow over it does rather support th e claim that their height is excessive. I would make some notes about when it happened the time taken with no response from the owner to resolve it. All these things may be useful in indicating to the council that the neighbour is not acting reasonably. Trouble with all these things though it creates bad feeling.

Some years ago with had problems with a neighbouring garage burning waste oil creating fumes and soot. We progressed it through the environmental health dept at the council. It caused a lot of bad feeling. The council officer was intimidated by the garage people. I called the fire brigade twice once when the building seemed to be on fire the second time when flames were coming out of the chimney (the fire brigade officer insisted that flames couldn't becoming out of the chimney and was too pleased when I told him he was talking out of his rear because I could see them).

We took lots of pictures and kept a diary. After getting nowhere I wrote to the head of department with photos and the diary notes. Result a rather embarassed Council officer took out an abatement order.

Just to show these things are not always as easy as they seem.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Great if you have the spare storage to let it season for next Winter and can burn it indoors. Not so good for many who have no real fire and no spare space.

If it is Leylandii or any sort of fir you need to let it season for at least two years before using it in a wood burning stove (one tree surgeon has told me to allow even longer and I have found that 4 year old soft pine woods aren't too bad after 3 years but still burn a bit on the dirty and smoky side.  But split it now - although that can get rather messy so make sure you wear gloves when handling it.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Morning all,  after Sundays dull and dismal day today dawned bright and sunny....lunch at one of those huge food barns (buffet style) for around a fiver....as much as you can stuff in! Followed by a walk in on of the state parks....though seeing warning signs for 'gators is a bit unnerving! 

Enjoy New years Eve.  

Trev

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Damp & drizzly here at the moment, 9oC and a lot more rain is forecast today.

Back to early starts as Chris returned to work this morning but she is off tomorrow. We're on our own to see the New Year in tonight (if we stay up that is!) We must be getting old because this is the second year running we've opted for a quiet night.

Hope that everyone partying has a great time & a Happy New Year to all.

Have a very good one,

Cheers, :drinks:

Bob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

As my dad used to tell me - there's a man at the door with the same number of noses as there are days in this year.

Bet you haven't heard that one before.

Have a good time whatever you are doing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Well, as we're talking of what to do with chopped-down wood, I stumbled across a market stall in town a couple of weeks ago where the chap had turned felled logs into all sorts of household objects, ranging from chairs and tables through to trinket boxes and book ends. I bought swmbo a new fruit bowl made from a piece of Yew. Quite beautiful the way the hollowed out centre cuts through all the layers of wood. Anyway, the unexpected side effect of a nice-looking fruit bowl in the centre of the table is that fruit consumption has gone up dramatically with both children munching away at apples and satsumas for their elevenses. 

Hope the cold gets better, Tony.

Have a nice day everyone. And better fortune and health for all in 2014. 

Andy

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

?....better fortune and health for all in 2014. 

...... and so say all of us.

There are a few who will be glad to see the back of this year and I'm sure we all join together in wishing them a happier 2014.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all..

dull and overcast here but -- s*d it - time to enjoy the rest of the year(!).

Have a great New Years Eve people.... and just remember tomorrow is a new year - time for the slate to be wiped clean and for new opportunities to be sought out..

Barry O

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning ER's

Another wet, dark and miserable one here, awful outside.

Indeed we will both not mourn 2013, with us both having being under the orthopaedic surgeon's knife.  I can't see us staying up either, a good night's sleep is a better celebration these days.

Spent a little while yesterday chipping an EMU, only to have the interior lights not work on re-assembly.  Useless contacts presumably, of course it is one where the body shell is an absolute swine to get off.  Bah.

edit for spelling - Morne is in Ireland!

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

back to the caravan site today. I would be quite happy with an early night. But there will no doubt be those who will let off fireworks so loud they will terrify the dogs even if the other side of town. Not one of my favourite nights. However happy new year to all.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Ernie - The BigBee Line - has already given a Norfolk report and nothing much has changed in the last few hours, it's still dark and damp - not much light around even though the sun's been up for nigh on two hours,

Slept all night so it looks like my cough is off, and not a coffin carrying me off in.

Have a good day all.

• Like 6

Morning All!

Wet and windy but not too cold here in Spalding.  With the wonderful planning regime that exists here work finished last week on our local traffic light junction, near the main level crossing into town, which has caused chaos for weeks.  The day after they finished railway contractors shut the road off to start work on the crossing................................which will take weeks.............................. :banghead:

A Peaceful, Healthy and Happy New Year to one and all.