The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

With regard to Horse transport one of my favourites is the Horse tram at Douglas (is it still there?) In fact Neil is rather spoilt for transport Steam Railway, Electric tramway, Horse Tram and Driving on the Groudle Glen. Still we have the WSR here at Minehead.

We need to change site but with all the dire weather didn't want to go elsewhere so have moved onto our drive for a few days while there are no builders around. I can pick up our Wifi from indoors its rather like having a 125 instead of the horse speed of the caravan site wifi.

Don

Yes, all still there - although Douglas corporation seem to discuss getting rid of the horse trams every year.  They would be very foolish to do so IMHO. Sort of getting rid of one of the things that makes us unique.  Then again, the previous tourism & leisure minister wanted to scrap the unused Manx Electric stock as they 'didn't need it' and it was expensive to store......moron.

Don't forget the SMR too, Don!  Oh and the 7 1/4" at the wildlife park.

• Like 3

:boast: I`ve been working on a new 7mm scale layout (it`s dual gauge too!).........you might describe it as "compact and bijou". :yes:

You might have guessed: it`s only barely the size of an A4 sheet of paper!......but does it still qualify as a layout?

Just expansive enough to use to demonstrate the use by photography of my 0-MF & S-7 track-gauge products.

I`ve struggled a little bit so far with getting realistic track-weathering (for the camera is a harsh mistress); but I`ll get there. :blush:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

:boast: I`ve been working on a new 7mm scale layout (it`s dual gauge too!).........you might describe it as "compact and bijou". :yes:

attachicon.gifUp and Down.JPG

attachicon.gifClose Check.JPG

attachicon.gifDual Gauge Gauges.JPG

You might have guessed: it`s only barely the size of an A4 sheet of paper!......but does it still qualify as a layout?

Just expansive enough to use to demonstrate the use by photography of my 0-MF & S-7 track-gauge products.

I`ve struggled a little bit so far with getting realistic track-weathering (for the camera is a harsh mistress); but I`ll get there. :blush:

Presumably you will be using those pics to gauge the reaction of potential customers?

The rain has gone (went about midday yesterday)

Now a totally clear, windless, bright blue sky at a mild 21C promised to rise to 24 later.

It's the turn of roast chicken today (I think it's a different chicken to last time).

Dessert is ice cream with fruit sauce.

I hope your day is happy.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Talk about recognisable design:

That first picture should be in two other threads, the one about how the real thing can look like a model, and the one about unrealistic human figures on model railways. Nobody looks like that in real life, and they havn't bothered to weather that train at all, or fit flush glazing.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Where's the groan button when you need it?

Two events in the last 24 hours - at opposite ends of the joy spectrum.

First the good news : A Xmas card arrived - yes, envelope & stamp, not virtual - from a very talented & popular RMwebber. I of course PM'ed him to say thanks - and he tells me he only sends 4 or 5 cards per Xmas, others being to former staff! There are times when people on this forum leave me speechless. Flattered? You bet.

Now the less cheerful. A rather self-important young woman on Facebook is tweaking my tail - which also ought to be flattering but isn't. She objects to my ongoing relationship - with her mother! I have a dilemma here. I know enough about the girl to severely embarrass her, possibly even blight her career if I were that nasty. I just want her to butt on out and let relationships take their course. But chopping her off at the knees is just so tempting. Sadly to do so might destroy the whole family, and my nicer side says I shouldn't do that.

A bright and sunny day, albeit a bit colder. Looks lovely, though.

• RMweb Gold

oh Ian that does sound rather awkward. But, moving on to your second problem.......

stupid mode off, serious mode on.......

Stupidity on facebook is commonplace. I know it's hard but you need to fist work out how bad the damage is/could be. Who sees what she is writing? What impact could her drivel have on the relationship? Do people see it because they are friends with her on FB or because they are friends with you? If the latter, you could cut it off by "de-friending" her. I suppose the primary consideration is her mother's opinion on what is being written. I guess an honest and open discussion about how she feels is needed. I try not to give advice to people, just help them to look at options to follow. I would be happy to help by PM at any time, as would many others on here if you feel the need.

Hope you are able to sort it Ian, you are entitiled to some happiness, and certainly don't need more upset.

All the best mate

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry and sunny here, eldest son going back to London today ala Virgin trains,house will seem some what quieter!

Facebook, hmm I find it hard to understand what/why people put certain stuff on there that they do, I know a lot of recruitment people who look at candidates on the net via Facebook Linkedin etc before they shortlist for interview.

I wonder if her mother is aware of it Ian? I would just let it go for the moment, you don't need the aggro. You are aware which equates to knowledge is power, you know but the daughter is not sure you know if you get my drift.

Stay calm it will sort one way or another.

Enjoy the day folks

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

ah - Farcebook, that ludicrous corner of the 'net to which so many attach great importance while failing to realise it is only a method of communication but one which comes with some serious side-effects if not treated in an adult and simplistic manner.  As far as I'm concerned the only reason I joined it, and usually my only reason for using it, is when RMweb falls over and it's useful to know when it might be back (or when Mr Nevard posts daft pics and sometimes when Mr Beast posts nice pics).  

Now to serious things - we have a hard frost and it's still here notwithstandinga  bright sunny morning.  But not to worry - it's going to rain again tonight!  Apart from taht no real news or matters of great import but hopefully Tesco will actually have complete newspapers today instead of yeserday's filleted copies of teh DT.

Have a nice day one and all.

• RMweb Premium

Now the less cheerful. A rather self-important young woman on Facebook is tweaking my tail - which also ought to be flattering but isn't. She objects to my ongoing relationship - with her mother! I have a dilemma here. I know enough about the girl to severely embarrass her, possibly even blight her career if I were that nasty. I just want her to butt on out and let relationships take their course. But chopping her off at the knees is just so tempting. Sadly to do so might destroy the whole family, and my nicer side says I shouldn't do that.

Ian, I'd be tempted to resist the very natural urge to kick back at her. Without knowing the details it does seem to me that if, in time to come, this relationship blossoms then it'll cause more problems for her mum who will be stuck in the middle of two warring parties. Perhaps better to mention it to your friend in passing and she can deal with her daughter's feelings herself? It takes time for children to accept that their mum (or dad) is in a new relationship as it seems disloyal to their other parent. 

Best, Andy

I'd love to offer words of advice Ian but I can't. My marriage is well into its fourth decade now and I still fail to understand women's minds. I do hope it all works out well and that the daughter stops looking at the ended relationship between her parents as if she has to worship and protect that one and starts to look towards her mother's future happiness.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,
After a cold frosty start the sun is shining & it has warmed up to 3oC.
Friends coming to dinner this evening so more food & drink to look forward to. After today I think a serious look at my "refuelling" habits is needed!

I have a dilemma here. I know enough about the girl to severely embarrass her, possibly even blight her career if I were that nasty. I just want her to butt on out and let relationships take their course. But chopping her off at the knees is just so tempting. Sadly to do so might destroy the whole family, and my nicer side says I shouldn't do that.

Difficult situation Ian but I think your last sentence says it all mate. 

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob