The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Heck of a wind last night, but chuckled at the BBC News team at Byfleet in Surrey.  They must have been driving round for ages looking for a big enough puddle to film their news report.  Cars going past were in no more than four inches or water.  

You might like the first 25 seconds of this clip, then -

Just been introduced to the 'After Eight' game.  Only to be played when the party spirit is in full flow and your guests have warmed up.  Take an After Eight and place it on your forehead.  You now have to move it to your mouth only using your facial muscles.  If you drop it, then you have to pick it up and start again.  We now have a family with faces covered in chocolate smears looking like Red Indians….:-)

Great fun if you want a good laugh and don't mind making a fool of yourself...

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't need an after eight to make a fool of myself - I'm a natural!

Winds dying down at last, a mere force 8 or so.  BBC Manchester news gave 74mph winds recorded here, but local radio weather (much more reliable - they are actually here) claims 84.  Whatever, it hasn't been a pleasant day.  Where are the after eights then?

Evening all,

I am slightly shocked by this evening's dinner, my guests actually left about 1/4 of the whiskey cake I had baked. Mind you, they had managed to consume most of a cold joint of rare roast beef, a roasting pan full of herb roasted potatoes, Cajun spiced greens plus mince pies and Christmas pud with cream.

Being half-Italian, I believe in fare la bella figura, which in culinary terms means providing good food "in abbondanza"

I also opened the home made blackberry liqueur and home made nectarine brandy I had started in May. The brandy was better than the liqueur.

Apart from dashing out to buy a toaster to replace the one that died at Christmas, I managed to avoid the sales, although Mrs iD did mount a morning expedition to the sales in town (first words when back "I'm home", second words when back "now, don't be angry...")

Have a great evening

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

our annual eating and drinking section of the Leeds MRS went well with Mr Edge  travelling by bus/train/bus from barnsley, Nictoix walking to the local. etc. Leeds Pale was very nice and lots of discussion re model railways etc.

Just watching England making a disaster of bowling at the Oz tail enders - they are just not switched on and would be awful to umpire.....

Have a great Saturday good people!

• Like 2

:O After Eight Mints; errr, no thank you very much! :no:

I`m not a chocolate or candy person; I much prefer cheese, salami or savory things as treats.........I guess that must mean that I find sweet things to be 'unsavory' :scratchhead:

Do you enjoy a good Saveloy, Debs? I haven't seen one for years.....

Best, Pete.

Hey, It's raining. No objections,though. After days of warm Sunshine it makes a pleasant change and clear weather is due to return tomorrow.

Due to the cloud cover it was a darker dawn than usual so I didn't wake up until 6:30.

Enjoy the day and if you are working, tomorrow is Saturday.

• Like 3

Morning all, not as windy and wild today. Lovely clear sky this morning at 06:00 which usually indicates a frosty night but there was none. Stars very clear and bright with the Milky Way visible. No, I haven't been in the corner shop before anyone asks. There was supposed to be a spectacular comet earlier this year but I didn't see anything of it. Perhaps it was put down to global warming. Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dry and calm weather here this morning.

After taking Robbie out we are going to lunch at Aditi's sister's house in Enfield. The Christmas eve tree is still in my garden. Its owner can't get through to her insurance company to arrange removal even though its name implies some sort of direct line!

Tony

Morning all.  Cleared away the wreckage of various board games last night and breakfast will soon be on the table.  Surprised at the lack of real general knowledge from the youngsters, despite decent education and degrees from Uni's.  Playing name games, Gregory Peck and Mr Micawber had them stumped.  King Canute drew a total blank…but then us oldies struggled with numerous rap artists and current 'celebs'.

Never mind, fun was had by all and the chocolate smears have all been wiped away.

Needless to say us oldies are up, fresh as a lark and about to enjoy the first meal of the day.  The 30 somethings might emerge around 10...

• Like 1

Interesting. Over here you are responsible for trees fallen onto your land - despite where they were standing.

Dog just had to go out and I heard some kind of "Screech" Owl in the distance. Clear night and calm, I like that.

I met that Gregory Peck once. He was a (silent) Director of Capitol Records up until about 1973 before EMI owned 100%.

Bed soon.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A windy night has faded away into calm, with heavy overcast. Meteo seems to think we're getting gusts up to 35 kph, but we're not. We have had an awful lot of rain, which suits me as I had had a "problem" with the pipe to the soakaway, now very thoroughly dispersed. Sorry - what were you having for breakfast?

May do a little shopping later.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Like 1

Morning all, clear and bright start to the morning down here in the midlands. A short jaunt over to the east to visit some family and then will be heading north up to Hull later this evening. Lot's of travelling, but providing there's no delays- should be fine! 

Have a great day all.

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

Had a good evening last night, joined several other escapees from 'Christams Cheer' down at the clubroom.   We got quite  alot of ballasting done and I got the crossing frog made for the last point and a good chat was had by all.  

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

| lovely morning down here, one I won't be taking advantage off as I have a cough, possibly an asthmatic reaction to something as it seems to happen every year around Christmas.

We finished the turkey off yesterday so now we can look at the pork - and it's crackling, mmmmm, my favourite.

Have a good day all, ours is an easy one, lazing around.

• RMweb Gold

Hey, It's raining. No objections,though. After days of warm Sunshine it makes a pleasant change and clear weather is due to return tomorrow.

Due to the cloud cover it was a darker dawn than usual so I didn't wake up until 6:30.

Enjoy the day and if you are working, tomorrow is Saturday.

Morning, recovering from last night, gales have ceased and patches of blue sky are about.

Am I missing something Don ie tomorrow is saturday? cos i thought today was saturday, if I'm wrong I can replay Friday night and have one glass of port less which would be of enormous benefit given the way I am feeling this morning.

Have a good day all

• RMweb Gold

Am I missing something Don ie tomorrow is saturday? cos i thought today was saturday, if I'm wrong I can replay Friday night and have one glass of port less which would be of enormous benefit given the way I am feeling this morning.

If it's any help Alan - I think you're right. Must be something to do with hemispheres.

• RMweb Gold

It's all very confusing. 

We always seem to get five weekends in a fortnight at this time of year.

Except for every five or six years or so when we just get longer weekends.

See what I mean - confusing

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, feels and looks like a bright September morning here if I go in the garden for long enough to do some tidying I might be reminded it is December. A lazy day was the plan but already Dad's taxi is in demand..... 

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Just a stiff breeze here now, blue skies apparent, what a change from yesterday. 

As for Debs savory tooth - I have that as well as a sweet tooth, which explains my middle age spread!  I'm not as bad with sweet things as I used to be, but cheese is a downfall.  Especially with a Port, when my willpower weakens - as if I had any that is.  We have a nice selection of cheeses and sausages from the continental market that visited Fraggle Rock recently, rather better than local fare.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Very bright and sunny here but it's struggling to deal with the very hard frost of earlier on.  Interesting to hear that young Beast has just got to the crackling - it's a Christmas morning treat here as the pork is being done for Christmas dinner, very yummy.  And yes, I agree with Gordon about general knowledge among the younger folk although Dr Station Cat is something of an exception in many areas (but not all), however her younger brother is definitely of his generation when it comes to g.k. but he does seem to know about pop singers and football - which is more than can be said for me.

Today's adventure will, I think, consist of venturing no further than Tesco for teh 'paper and a loaf of bread;  have a good day everybody 

• Like 1