The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Why is it that heating systems always choose the most inconvenient (and expensive) times to breakdown?!?

Christmas is now well underway here, the little guy has arrived, the goose is in the oven, and a roaring fire is burning.

I wonder what Santa has left under the tree?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Why is it that heating systems always choose the most inconvenient (and expensive) times to breakdown?!?

That very same thing happened at the in-laws three years ago, I think it was. And as it happened, it had been a very hard winter when Leipzig had been submerged in snow, I should add...

Robert,

I know that I've got the DeWalt JigSaw that Gordon suggested! No excuse not to work on new baseboards now.......(it is still wrapped up, I can't sleep due to too much Alaskan Cod last night).

With regard to issues at Christmas - that is just a combination of Sod's Law and Stuff Happens rolled into one. Usually with me the night before Christmas is the time when the smoke alarms start "chirping".

So far so good.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The dinner cooking process is well underway and promised for 'about 2 o'clock' but could well be later - no problem.  Present opening not yet underway - family 'tradition' is to get the work out of the way first, comes of always spending Christmas on a farm when I were a lad and there the work had to be done because for the animals it was just another day.

Have an enjoyable day - I'm wondering how much longer our blue skies will last as rain is forecast.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

After so much rain later yesterday, this morning is bright with a lot of sun. I've lit the fire again, and Benjamin Britten's "Ceremony of Carols" has rung out, as every year for at least 20.

Santa has behaved well, with a nice fleece, and a completely unnecessary but truly gorgeous retro DSLR with a full-frame sensor. It means I can at last take digital pics with the 35mm f1.4 lens (circa 1973) I have owned for some years. I will be collected about 14.45 and whisked off for Xmas Dinner, for which I am supplying wine, cheese and crackers.

On a sour note, when I read Andy Y's good news about a September event, I was totally dismayed to then find one of the resident clowns defaming the whole affair, or at least it's intended venue. Some sort of football vitriol. So much for "Goodwill to all men"!

I hope your day goes well - Merry Christmas ERs!

On a sour note, when I read Andy Y's good news about a September event, I was totally dismayed to then find one of the resident clowns defaming the whole affair, or at least it's intended venue. Some sort of football vitriol. So much for "Goodwill to all men"!

I hope your day goes well - Merry Christmas ERs!

Thank you, Ian......here`s wishing you a really-nice day in joyous company.

`Similarly saddened to see such immediate negativity (even if supposedly ironic) in the face of somebody just trying to benefit us and our shared hobby.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't really made any progress in deciding between these three units...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/JRW_683_Series01.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/DC283_hokuto_001.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Hokuetsu_Express_683.jpg

What'd your vote be for?

Though I'm sure I'll be obtaining one of the 683s and the 283 eventually, in fact...

Edited by 1216 025

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all and a VERY Merry Christmas to all and sundry.

I've cooked us all a "healthy" breakfast and having opened our presents we are now relaxing, I'm about to go for a wander around the fields to alleviate the settlement of said breakfast on my tummy.

I hope we all have a wonderful day.

• RMweb Gold

Well Christmas Dinner is apparently coming up fast over the horizon, one cat has been sick (we got him to the porch on time), a neighbour has just called to look for and retrieve a ball kicked over from a nearby-ish garden (she can call again any time as far as I'm concerned), son has a bread poultice on one of his big toes, pressies were well received by all concerned - I shall probably start on mine by reading either 'The Wipers Times' combined volume or a book by Jeremy Paxman (and give him my opinion of it the next time I see him in the pub up the road).

I agree fully with all that's been said about the stupidity (alas no other word for it) regarding the 'live' event, and everyone on here is being as pleasant as usual which makes this a nice place to visit - enjoy the rest of the day folks and for those in the USofA you have something to look forward to of course.

And on a less happy note - the champagne is finished byut we do have a rather nice bottle of red to go with the meal and then onwards to the very nice port (of the liquid sort). 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just had the oddest Christmas dinner ever - we had our "feast" yesterday as we bought two chickens at the weekend, one was longer dated than the other, and managed to  cook them in the wrong order - so we had a short-dated one earmarked for Christmas dinner, and which had to be cooked - so we had the three course plus wine etc yesterday, and I curried the leftovers today - so Christmas dinner was a Stewart special korma with Naan and all the Indian style trimmings. 

Had a visit from some friends the other night, and their lad, whom I introduced to single malt appeared with a bottle of 46% unchill filtered Ardbeg, which I countered with my 20yo unchill filtered single cask Caol Isla.  This lad is now about 20 but is rapidly developing a taste from the finer products of Scotland, and in particular, those from Islay - lucky him!

Regards to All

Happy Christmas again

Stewart

• Like 9

Lunch has been consumed and I did my best to consume the Chateau Neuf on my own.  Not that it was hidden from view, just there were no other drinkers around the table.  The Queen has been watched and all those over 85 are now snoozing quietly despite asking to watch Deal or No Deal.

A little peace now until daughter and SiL arrive from Cardiff around 7 this evening.  The 9 hole Boxing Day roll up is looking more attractive by the minute...

• Like 4

Merry Christmas to One and All,

It's piddling down outside Schloss iD, but my father-in-law and Mrs iD's Aunt greatly enjoyed the rare roast beef Christmas lunch (and, for a change, I spent little time in the kitchen). I am now enjoying a few moments to myself...

My lovely wife has been icing a cake too.............

attachicon.gif1511049_10200361629443708_827325621_n.jpg

Alas, my cakes - though tasty - never look as spectacular as this. Still, there are compensations, not having to make cakes that also are kinderfreundlich, means that I can "feed" the cake strong spirits, safe in the knowledge that when consumed there is no risk of the cake inebriating the tinies. Two more "feedings" of the whiskey cake and it'll be ready for guests on the 27th.

Enjoy the rest of Christmas

iD

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I thought I would suggest this here and gauge opinion before presenting it in the correct thread within RM Web.

RM Web Live Sept 2014:

One presumes that such a magnificence would open extra early for all the ER fraternity?

Perhaps ERs could also have their own little corner, sequestered away from railway matters?

We could have a monologue from that doyen of the stage: Ashers.

'A Collie sheep herding demo': Debs and Co

'The rules of cricket, and how to guess them: Barry O

'Caffs I have known':  A railwayman tries to remember:  Mike the Stationmaster

'How to Fraggle Rock':  NHN.

What do ERs think?

Do you have any other (un)worthy suggestions?

Regards

Richard

• Like 10