The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning or afternoon its going to be close at 11.59!

Grey and dull here not inspiring me to do some tidying up in the garden, great picture of the robin, we have a resident one here, tends to sit on my spade handle whilst I'm resting!

Enjoy whats left of the day.

Unusually it's been peeing with rain all night - we have a severe rain deficit and so need it. I suppose I can put up with it for 24 hours...

Thanksgiving tomorrow which is my favourite holiday because the food is close to a traditional British Christmas dinner but without the angst of gift giving/receiving.

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

Survived Christmas shopping in Richmond.  Pleased to say we parked OK and it was surprisingly quiet.  Managed to get the things on the list and still had time for a pub lunch, so it was OK.  

Of course I can't let Mrs S know or she will expect it me to do it every year….  :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Christmas deliveries by the ton appearing at chez Oliver - despite 5 hours in town the other Saturday!!

Almost sorted and inventoried the 12 boxes of stuff to sell.....

and 

"Reading some other threads around this place I'm wondering if their collective name would be "Gripe", a "Niggle", or a "Pernickety"." - AndyB you may be correct.

Beast - her indoors thinks you've been in our garden with camera as she swears blind the birds are on next doors pear tree!!!

• RMweb Gold

Beast - her indoors thinks you've been in our garden with camera as she swears blind the birds are on next doors pear tree!!![/font][/color]

I know it isn't our pear tree. Some of the leaves had orange blobs that had to be removed and destroyed before falling to the ground. So there aren't any leaves at all now. When it is cooler I have been requested to move a juniper away from the pears as the particular orange blob producing pest (allegedly) needs both plants for some reason.

Tony

Coincidence or what?  

Just sold my push golf trolley on eBay to a guy in Glasgow.  

Turns out he is a member of Eastwood Golf Club.  Of course the name Eastwood comes from the suburb of Glasgow where I was born…hence Eastwood Town.

Eastwood near Clarkston?

I spent a lot of time in my youth there in Clarkston at Fereneze Ave (Furryknees Ave). Actually just up the hill from Williamwood Station....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

* - No sign of batman though (well that's not strictly true, we get the bats at dusk, one day I'll photograph one of them)

In my last house, I had a large(ish) roost of pipistrelles  in the loft, and spent night after night watching them coming out via the eaves (and from time to time, a loose slate) and it was fascinating to say the least - contacted the Bat Conservancy people who offered to send an inspector round to monitor them - but I declined - from what they knew of the locality and known roosts nearby, they thought it might be a maternity colony from a large roost in the nearby castle, as it was a very hot summer, and they would be looking for a North facing area in which to have their young - if that was so, then there was a pretty good chance that they were temporary visitors - and so it proved.  They sent me a load of literature including a sign to place in the loft showing that there was an active bat roost which was not to be disturbed.  One of my colleagues, not knowing that bats are a protected species, suggested that I should be calling the Council Pest Control!

Oh yes, and there was I thinking Gordon was a Berkshire lad, and he's Scottish born - I often travelled through Williamwood to Glasgow Central, as it was easier to park at Whitecraigs and to get the train than it was to drive into the City centre - every train was a 303 (aka Blue Train)

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

The very one, Pete. We lived in a tenement block in Thornliebank and went back every summer to stay with my grandparents. Endless summers with a trip up north on the WCML behind a Coronation Class and then out every day on the tram to Central, St Enoch and Queen Street. Even as small kid I was allowed to go on my own and spend all day scribbling down numbers of loco's rarely if ever seen in London..

Wonderful memories..

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 4

Evening all,

Couple of pictures for you today (though I'm not going to post the one my GF's sister sent from Ontario this morning! One of the confusing Nigerian railways level crossings...half the barriers work, but of course not integrated with the adjacent traffic lights!

Literately just round the corner is the road-side goat market (though they are known as rams here!) Around 16 quid a head...

try to behave this evening!

Trev

post-4282-0-28239200-1385572585.jpg

post-4282-0-05888000-1385572617.jpg

• Like 1

The very one, Pete. We lived in a tenement block in Thornliebank and went back every summer to stay with my grandparents. Endless summers with a trip up north on the WCML behind a Coronation Class and then out every day on the tram to Central, St Enoch and Queen Street. Even as small kid I was allowed to go on my own and spend all day scribbling down numbers of loco's rarely if ever seen in London..

Wonderful memories..

Agree, endless Summer days......Beach at Croy.

I still love Glasgow! Much better than Edinburgh...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful memories..

Wot - no trips to Buchanan Street?

Agree, endless Summer days......Beach at Croy.

And digging the car out of the sand before coasting "uphill" on the Electric Brae

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

Ah, the memories. I spent a very culturally enlightening time in Glasgow between 1969 and 1970. I lived in Kelvinside and worked in Springburn (not accessible on the underground network). When I was told that was where my posting was, I was not very keen but as it turned out it was a grand time that I would not have wished to change.