The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I have never been to Dorking. Have I missed something?

25 miles from Central London, in true country with proper hills on three sides, including the highest point in Southern England - Leith Hill at 960 ft, and Box Hill, famous scene for Mods and Rockers to slug it out in the late '60s, as well as being the finish for last years Olympic Cycling marathon. Other than that, of course it's just a small town, although with a few distinctions e.g. the Leith Hill Music Festival, founded by local resident Ralph Vaughan Williams. Prominent residents in my time have included Andre Previn/Mia Farrow and Virginia McKenna/Bill Travers. And, although I didn't know this until yesterday - Felicity Kendall.

• RMweb Premium

I have never been to Dorking. Have I missed something?  

I have been to Rio de Janeiro a couple of times and my favourite beach there (in January) was LeBlon.

I do miss Rio, though....but it is not the same anymore.

Question: Do people lose their critical facilities when discussing Bachmann products? It's amazing to see from the perspective of their past performance over here with regard to QC issues...

Best, Pete.

Have I missed something? Possibly

Can't comment on Rio, Pete. Last beach I went to was West Wittering in a summer squall. Retreated to the nearest pub where they had a log fire!

I have to say I haven't had any problems with my Heljan or Bachmann products. Heljan seemed to have the edge on quality, perhaps. Their locos feel really substantial. Just don't get me started on Hornby. Their Class 31 was only fit for the bin and I keep it only to remind me not to darken their doors again.  

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

25 miles from Central London, in true country with proper hills on three sides, including the highest point in Southern England - Leith Hill at 960 ft, and Box Hill, famous scene for Mods and Rockers to slug it out in the late '60s, as well as being the finish for last years Olympic Cycling marathon. Other than that, of course it's just a small town, although with a few distinctions e.g. the Leith Hill Music Festival, founded by local resident Ralph Vaughan Williams. Prominent residents in my time have included Andre Previn/Mia Farrow and Virginia McKenna/Bill Travers. And, although I didn't know this until yesterday - Felicity Kendall.

My memories of it (or near locality) come from a Youth Hostelling trip with my dad and brother. We did a walking trip around Holmbury St Mary, Tanners Hatch (delightful) and one other that now no longer features on the YHA offerings and its name eludes me. Particular memories for this train spotter was sitting on the chalk down watching a blue DMU working along the line. DMUs - quite exotic for an LTS user! 

Years later I did a similar trip on bikes with my brother, starting at Gravesend (well, obviously we started from home in Leigh, but you get my drift). We stumbled across some major road works in Kent which later turned out to be the early stages of the M25 build!! 

Andy

• Like 1

I have to say I haven't had any problems with my Heljan or Bachmann products. Heljan seemed to have the edge on quality, perhaps. Their locos feel really substantial. Just don't get me started on Hornby. Their Class 31 was only fit for the bin and I keep it only to remind me not to darken their doors again.  

Andy

Heljian seem to be "patchy". Take the Lion (please!).

No, seriously, nice body let down by the most appalling "bogies" - half-round brake actuators, lack of any detail, looks like they were carved by some old lag in prison on a life sentence out of white soap.

I will try and make to Dorking......

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Good to see that the weather is keeping Pete pre-occupied, and climate change looks set to provide him with such entertainment for the foreseeable!

everyone has a restful day.

I believe it will. It actually started for me when some UN sponsored fool in India claimed a couple of years ago that the Himalayan Glaciers would disappear by 2025. He later retracted this "factoid" last year.

What is more troubling is when a researcher queries some Global Warming detail (i.e. questioning the new norm) and is threatened (instead, by answer) in having his research grant slashed unless he toes the line.  No use asking me for facts on this detail as I don't want to get someone into more trouble....

So, yes, plenty of opportunity for questions and we all should. I believe in reducing our overall carbon footprint (and any other sensible measures) but resent being bashed over the head (even metaphorically ).

Cheers, Pete.

PS Sorry about the bit of fun with Dorking....

• Like 1

I believe it will. It actually started for me when some UN sponsored fool in India claimed a couple of years ago that the Himalayan Glaciers would disappear by 2025. He later retracted this "factoid" last year.

What is more troubling is when a researcher queries some Global Warming detail (i.e. questioning the new norm) and is threatened (instead, by answer) in having his research grant slashed unless he toes the line.  No use asking me for facts on this detail as I don't want to get someone into more trouble....

So, yes, plenty of opportunity for questions and we all should. I believe in reducing our overall carbon footprint (and any other sensible measures) but resent being bashed over the head (even metaphorically ).

Cheers, Pete.

PS Sorry about the bit of fun with Dorking....

The BBC who are supposed to be impartial will not broadcast anything that questions the party line on global warming.

• RMweb Gold

Are people from Dorking known as Dorkadians?

....or Dorkastrians?

Or just pain Dorks?

;)

Well - I've never heard that one before (much). This might explain a bit http://www.ashcombedorkinian.com/ about Sherry's and my alma mater. In the pic that's Box Hill in the background, with the Millpond, leading to the Pipp Brook, in the foreground. Stirling Moss's Grand Prix cars were prepared in a workshop not far beyond the trees dead ahead - and sometimes tested on the A24 dual carriageway! 50 years ago I had a few dates with a pretty classmate, Stephanie, who lived in a house adjacent to that white house in the picture. Stephanie and Sherry subsequently did holiday jobs at the same offices near Dorking, and it was at about that time that Stephanie got to know David, whom she then married. A decade before, David and I had bumped into each other at Liv Street, where we admired the station pilot - a J69?

• Like 3

The BBC who are supposed to be impartial will not broadcast anything that questions the party line on global warming.

Sadly, the Global Warming issue has become an industry; there are too many people on the gravy train to let a little matter of factual accuracy get in the way of an excellent source of funding? Why spoil the opportunity to fly around the world, staying in superior hotels in order to attend conferences where the participants can never agree upon anything? Why are our various politicians determined to hold the UK as a self-righteous example in cutting carbon emissions whilst ignoring the impact upon our energy security and the cost effectiveness of operating businesses in the UK?

Yes, we need to be less profligate with our resources and more considerate of our environment but please present the arguments in a balanced and fair manner, unlike the University of East Anglia or the BBC!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe it was the aforementioned hiking trip to the Dorking area with dad and my brother that mum did her own trip to see her friend, Edna. 

We dropped mum off at the station and I was fascinated to hear that she was due to be going via Houston; well, it was around the time of the Apollo missions!

Somehow, Dorking didn't seem as glamorous.

BTW, Edna lived in Pudsey...  

Andy 

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, have to say I found Dorking and surrounding area to be very pleasant, many a nice pint in the Running Horses pub, indeed  Box Hill was used in the Olympics as per Ian's post. Now a favourite venue for some activity of a dubious nature beginning with d :dontknow: which tends to take place in the dark hours so I'm told!

Quite steep that slope up Box Hill behind Burford Bridge Ian, well impressed with the athletic ability you possessed in your yoof!

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Dorking - ah yes, a town with stations on two different routes, and to get from one to the other by foot takes minutes, and by rail needs a round trip with several changes.  Also boasts a large number of antique shops of varying standards and prices and which appears to be featured on the TV antique shows time and time again.

I'm off now as 30747 is feeling off colour and I'm down for dinner duty again - guess what?  I've decided to make a chicken Korma - there's a surprise.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Fan fitted in the loft and it all works. It was a bit painful on the knees and back but I managed not to get stuck. Aditi has been busy tidying the garden but apart from when I helped with some sawing of branches I just got on with car cleaning and dog walking.

I may even do some modelling. I am making a cardboard box  to occupy the space of this building on my station layout. Mine will be "inspired by" rather than a faithful model of the original.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all!

In between planning, keeping the flat in order and bouts of cream-crackeredness, I just managed to finish up a blog entry about the Slovenian 541.001 I mentioned on here a few weeks back...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/599/entry-12683-eurosprinter-mag-man-eben-–-slovenian-railways-541001-with-manner-advertising-livery-from-roco/

Off to the cinema tonight to watch "Catching Fire." I'm sure this will give me rather bad dreams, given how I took "The Hunger Games" last year... :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had an excellent day at Warley - reports on the Exhibition thread at #143 and #151.

We decided to take the 6 o'clock train home (change at Shrewsbury) rather that the 5 o'clock (change at Chester).

BIG[-gish] MISTAKE

The departure board had 'ON TIME' so at DEPARTURE time of 19:24 this ARRIVED - grab iPhone from coat pocket - now that does not look like a DMU.  :scratchhead:

post-14049-0-42073700-1385316209.jpg

post-14049-0-64118200-1385316359.jpg

Now, had I not got into this taking train photos lark, I wouldn't have this 'artistic' looking container.

Maybe I could turn it into a large canvas.  :O :o :O  :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Apologies for blurred photography - the reason for the small photo at the top - it doesn't look quite as bad at that size.

Note to self: Must learn the art of Off the Cuff photography.  :jester:

Enjoy the rest of your evening/other part of the day.

Polly

• Like 6

Very warming to find that one ER person (Polly) has been receiving expert tuition from another (Barry O) at a leading UK exhibition, i.e. under the spotlight. RMweb really does bring people together in the nicest way.

I wanted to do the same and went to Barry's stand four times, only to find him fully occupied at each visit! Two visits to the signalling demos were equally unfruitful. I did however talk with Norman Solomon about track laying and with a nearby soldering expert - whose name sadly escapes me - from both of whom I learnt a good bit so thanks guys!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening my friends.

A long day at Grumble Glen, tasks varied from moving a couple of tons of coal, to draining the Steamplex boiler and tanks for winter and to setting up our spiffy new gazebo thing on a test run for the Santa trains.  Mrs H attended for her fist visit since her knee op, she was excused moving the coal....however she did (bravely!) clean out the portaloo sort of thing we have, which is known as the, er, Turdis, in honour of a currently popular TV programme and it's blue colour.

Completely shot now, both of us, an early night beckons I feel, 'school' day tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Back from Warley having had a slightly less busy day 2.

Met a few more RMWebbers today and helped a visitor from the USA with his weathering problems and worries.

Gruffalo - I didn't have to tutor my "apprentice" - aka Polly/Southern42 that much she just listened to an idea and then went off and weathered one side of a Preflo - now I have to do the other side and ends.

Some of our other RMWebbers have had a bit of confidence boosting and should be fine with weathering now...

and all without an airbrush.... oooh err!!

Off to bed to sort out some catchy up sleep...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Back at home and on my way to bed now... Library visit with an 8th class tomorrow, or should I say, today...

I sure hope I'll find some time for catching up on the update backlog on my RMweb blog soon. This concerns these four locos already...

mobile.715spm.jpg

mobile.8qhkv7.jpg

mobile.9wmkgk.jpg

mobile.10w9k6u.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Dom, is weathering locos and stock a popular hobby interest in Germany? 

Have fun at the library. Do German librarians have the obsession with silence that once seemed to be the case here in the UK?