The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I have to disagree, Andy. The demo certainly didn't really show the versatility of the analogue MOOG. I still think that the analogue models (Mini-Moog, Micro-Moog, Moog-Prodigy and the big daddy: the Moog Modular) as having amazing sounds (as did the ARP 2600 or the Prophet or the VCS3). Every time I listen to Keith Emerson's MOOG solo in ELP's Lucky Man, I get shivers....

When I was student, I managed to acquire a Micromoog, for $50 (yes, fifty dollars) which I stupidly managed to misplace (it may be in the attic of my parent's house, I don't know).  Amazing sounds....

iD

Nice solo, iD. But "Fanfare" was my favourite. As with many things I guess the quality of the end product is down to the craftsman, not the tool.

For anyone that likes

, here's a band whose tunes we play in the workshop. They're based, I think, in the Bridgenorth area. 

And if anyone wants

along to a bit of Wurlitzer here's a bit of beer-related culture from the excellent Len Rawle with backing singers!  :drink_mini:  
  • Like 2

That sounds as if it was made by the old lady who sits in the local town's shopping precinct playing a small, battery powered Casio organ and trying to raise funds for some cats' charity! I much prefer ELP, Bach, Widor and the rest!

It was meant to be tongue in cheek ;)

• Like 2

A beautiful but frosty morning here in the West Midlands after a cold night. The campsite is attached to Kingsbury Water Park. It was dark when we arrived so we could see there was water and hear some quacking however today we shall explore the park and the nearby canal. A flock of long tailed tits just flew past the van window which is nice.

Don

The marvellous Echills Wood Rly.(7 1/4" gauge) is co-located there.......will they be running?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I admit to being an ELP fan, but not of the later stuff - Love Beach?  Atrocious.  I'm more of a fan of 'Welcome back my friends....' live album.

It's still sunny on FR, what's that about!  A decent walk at lunchtime beckons to get the hip moving plus we have a continental christmas market to mooch at, although I suspect it may 'not quite' measure up to the ones discussed on here recently.  Ahem.

Oh, a PC has just entered the office looking frozen solid, so it looks as if the sun is masking a rather cold day.  Funny how popular our office becomes to the neighbourhood officers on days like this! :angel:

I especially love those notes in the very low registers (as in the beginning of Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra or Bach's Toccata and Fugue), which is something most digital systems reproduce quite poorly.

The Willis Grand Organ at Liverpool`s Anglican Cathedral has some 64ft. 'resultant bass' pipes; one`s entire torso resonates when they sound....a not entirely unpleasant experience! :imsohappy:

I have always considered such magnificent 'instruments-in-concert' to be the shock and awe weapon in the religious arsenal! :yes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have always considered such magnificent 'instruments-in-concert' to be the shock and awe weapon in the religious arsenal! :yes:

At Hindu ceremonies it isn't the sound that does the shock and awe, if you are in the area near the Pandit you can get singed eyebrows if someone gets enthusiastic with the fire. At one ceremony at the parents in laws house in Nottingham one non Hindu family member (not I on this occasion) misunderstood and instead of adding about a spoonful of ghee to the altar fire chucked the lot in. It looked rather like a mushroom cloud as it headed for the ceiling. Fortunately it was a very high ceiling to the lounge.  

• RMweb Gold

The Willis Grand Organ at Liverpool`s Anglican Cathedral has some 64ft. 'resultant bass' pipes; one`s entire torso resonates when they sound....a not entirely unpleasant experience! :imsohappy:

I don'tr think I've ever had an entire torso resonance experience ..... although my trouser legs have flapped about a bit with sympathetic vibration.

• RMweb Premium

I'd struggle with more than 2 keyboards at a time. Can't even begin to imagine coordinating my feet at the same time....Anyway, here's a great clip from Deb's shock and awe weapon! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've done it again..... Funny instead of friendly and supportiive for Debs taking her mother in for the cataract op. (I did manage to change it though)

Probably just as well I'm getting my cataracts sorted out soon.  Although then I will have no excuse for my ham fisted finger prodding..

An excellent drive back from Margam.  very little traffic and another day of glorious sunshine.

Now off to pick up Elsa from the kennels.

Regards

Richard

I can't manage one keyboard let alone two and use my feet in coordination as well!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've done it again..... Funny instead of friendly and supportiive for Debs taking her mother in for the cataract op. (I did manage to change it though)

Probably just as well I'm getting my cataracts sorted out soon.  Although then I will have no excuse for my ham fisted finger prodding..

I can't manage one keyboard let alone two and use my feet in coordination as well!

Don't forget that certain icons have been re-positioned in the last few days, following discussion in another thread. So the order at the right hand side is now different, and may need a moment longer to check before clicking.

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of Thorens decks and ELP is almost enough to make me get up in the loft and retrieve my Thorens TD160 with Shure M75ED along with some vinyl. Then again perhaps I'll just stay here in this nice comfy chair and prepare myself for expedition to Warley tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Mother`s home from the hospital and looking like a elderly-pirate, with her protective eye-patch. :blind:

Are you alright Mum? :scratchhead:

:yes: .......Arrrrhhh! :mosking:

Interesting Debs - when mine was done I just went home with two lots of drops to go in 4 times a day - no eyepatch. One set of drops is used for a week and the other for a month - and I had to get a prescription from the Doc as the month one runs out after about 14 days

• RMweb Gold

It's funny what differing health authorities prescribe for eye protection after the cataract operation.

I've already been told I'll have to use a clear patch at night when I'm in bed to protect the eye from any potential collisions with the pillow.

My wife has pre ordered the requisite parrot and a wooden leg (sadly Hatton's didn't do any).

I already have the sword, but it is a straight infantry pattern version and not the curved cutlass style.  However, the infantry sword is longer so gives you a better reach when giving some scurvy swab a quick tickler in the avast astern.

Eye Eye

Cap'n

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Plenty to catch up on for a late arrival but I reckon with weather like that iD you should head off somewhere nicer for teh weekend - oh sorry, forgot - see you at Wetherspoons tomorrow all being well.

SAnywhere I have spent mu non ER day industriously - first visiting Waitrose (yes, it's Friday) but in Tilehurst diu to usual lack of parking spaces here but back via  nice country route.  Then off to Swindon to collect a package from Steam, first test being to try to male sense of the mass of conflicting information give on various screens at Reading - it really is quite remarkable how folk in possession of umpteen thousands time more immediate information than was ever available even 20 years ago seem unable to turn it into coherent information on passenger customer inmformations screens.

Anyway nice walk along the road to 'the tunnel' at Swindon (always takes me back about 40 years walking through there) and round to Steam to collect my package and also be given a freebie round the museum which led to me actually taking my time to get round it slowly for once unencumbered by a model railway exhibition - very interesting and well worth a visit.  Also they now have an excellent little cafe which does a top notch bacon roll and has teapots which pour properly while their menu is a hoot - 'Star Burgers' and all sorts of sillies like that but well thought through so working out well.

Then home on a punctual train with a second opportunity to navigate the peculiarities of Reading station - I wonder what foreign visitors make of it?  Now a ramble through a day's worth of RMweb, have a nice evening all.  And of course off to the NEC tomorrow to visit Wetherspoons, and possibly a model railway exhibition.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7

All this talk of Thorens decks and ELP is almost enough to make me get up in the loft and retrieve my Thorens TD160 with Shure M75ED along with some vinyl. Then again perhaps I'll just stay here in this nice comfy chair and prepare myself for expedition to Warley tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

Had both a Thorens 150 & 160 in the past, the latter fitted with a SME arm and Shure V15E II cartridge.

For the past 30+ years its Linn Sondek with Ittok arm and Linn cartridge that have been connected to the hi-fi - I haven't used it in the past couple of years.

Now that I wear a hearing aid I can no longer get the benefit of full hi-fi so these days all my music is on the laptop in iTunes and fed to my Quad 77/707 and Castle speakers via a Fubar USB Digital/Analogue converter. Currently listening to a Tchaikovsky Symphony.

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Since I started wearing hearing aids I appreciate music more.  My deafness was brought on by measles as a child and so I have a characteristic lack of response over certain frequencies.  I didn't know this until I was tested only recently.  My hearing aids act as mini graphic equalisers in my ears as well as a general boost in hearing.  Having said that I have never been one for top hi-fi gear, I guess because, without knowing why, I could never appreciate it fully. 

Since I started wearing hearing aids I appreciate music more.  My deafness was brought on by measles as a child and so I have a characteristic lack of response over certain frequencies.  I didn't know this until I was tested only recently.  My hearing aids act as mini graphic equalisers in my ears as well as a general boost in hearing.  Having said that I have never been one for top hi-fi gear, I guess because, without knowing why, I could never appreciate it fully. 

My hearing has a dip in the middle so the hearing aid like yours acts as a graphic equaliser and amplifier. Had it about 3 years - wished I'd gone years before.

When my hearing was tested the nurse asked if I'd been in the forces as the dip at those frequencies is associated with firing guns - no I told her it seems to run in the family. The pity is my father would never consider one and would have really benefited from it.

You mentioned measles as a child; my mother also had measles and was deaf in the right ear as a result.

To all you ERs who have hearing issues go and see your doctor about getting a hearing aid - I have a free NHS aid and the batteries are free! Being able to watch TV and listen to music without having it blaring is great.

Incidentally we've had three really lovely autumn days in Cardiff - been out taking some nice Autumn snaps photographic masterpieces (I wish!)

Regards,

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And of course off to the NEC tomorrow to visit Wetherspoons, and possibly a model railway exhibition.

Hope to see you tomorrow - Wetherspoons tried today - had a pint of "Complete Muppetry" which seemed apt and was very nice!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I may see you at Warley tomorrow then Mike. I also wonder which was the nice country road back from Tilehurst I used to know all of the roads north of Reading (plus many round other sides) as trips out on the push bike for railways then bike and car to the pubs plus walks in the woods were a big part of my youth. I think I would be tempted to go out to Pangbourne and over the toll bridge these days since they have pushed alot more traffic through cow lane bridge.

Don

• Like 1