The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I think the narrow wheel, high profile tyres (even summer ones) are more effective than the wide, low profile variety in snow.

My brother used to do the emergency callout for various communication systems. He was once called out to sort out a radio transmitter (in Somerset I think) and the local police told him the road up the transmitter was closed to traffic. As it was their transmitter he suggested it might be in their interest to let him proceed. 

You're absolutely right, Tony.  My cars have generally had wide, low profile tyres and three years back I couldn't even get my 535 BMW out of our flat driveway with snow on the ground.  No amount of gentle throttle application or traction control on or off, would move it without violent wheelspin.  Jumped in Jackie's Yaris with it's thin tyres and front wheel drive and off we went as though the snow was not even there.

Despite my leg pulling on wide tyres and snow, I wouldn't venture out if the conditions were that bad as I know just how easy it is to slide a low slung car with wide wheels and 420hp doing its best to stick you in the hedge..

• RMweb Gold

Even all,

Yet another day off cluster **** up......get to the local airport just after 5:30 am for 7 am flight....to find after we had released the driver that the check in was at another part of the terminal complex...15 minute walk away...through the pot holed and untlit streets... all went well 'till we got to Portharcourt airport...a driver had been arranged to meet us..phones his office "where is he?" At the airport....so are we.....gets hold of the driver ....were are you? at the air port....well come and pick for the pick-up place.....I'm (ever so helpful) in the car park....this went on for twenty minutes....I am now VERY p'd off..luckily a senior person from a group company saw our predicament and gave us a lift...30 minutes later..the errant driver phones...were are you? In another car going away...well should I wait in the carpark? ...........give me strength!!!!

(And if that tale brightens someones evening, it'll be worth the hassle!

Off to bedibyes, nite nite!

Trev

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday Pete.

A couple of photos to (hopefully) bring a bit of good cheer into everyone's day.

post-14049-0-93867900-1384895592.jpg

post-14049-0-17020200-1384896781.jpg
1H89 Bangor - Manchester Piccadilly 1331

They were only taken on an iphone - no fancy gear or anything.  This is, possibly, a new pastime to get me out into the fresh air occasionally during the winter months - taking pics on the stretch between Bangor and Menai Bridge.  I'll see how it goes or, rather, how long I can keep it up.  The inspiration came from photos on here and elsewhere on RMweb so some of you have a lot to answer for - not that I'm complaining at all.  :D

The morning started with a good covering of hail followed by rain but by lunchtime, when I took the photos, the sun was blazing
.  Couldn't be better.

Polly

• Like 13

Evening All,

Living as I do in Switzerland (where snow is not unknown) and driving a SAAB (designed and built by Swedes, who also know a little bit about snow) I LAFF WITH SKORN at stories of you Britishers battening down the hatches when you get 2mm of snow. In Switzerland if the snow really is too bad to drive through (like in the Furka pass from October) then we just build a tunnel to get through it (e.g. The Furka Base Tunnel). Most of the Swiss mountain railways operate normal services during the depths of winter, even on those steep stretches that require rack and pinion traction. I don't think the Swiss are mentally capable of grasping the concept of the "wrong type of snow". Snow is something you drive or plow through, or - if really no alternative - dig under.

Turning to modelling matters, I now only have three roof panels of the refurbished boozer to finish adding slates to. For these curved sections, I am laying individual "slate" strips to follow the roof contours and so far all is going acceptably well. I should have the roof finished shortly after the Warley show. And I will post pics... On which note, I will now issue today's modelling prescription:

iL Dottore's prescription for modelling mental health. No. 42 Avoid modelling any roof shape that is not an L, T or I. Any other shape (e.g. U or C) risks triggering severe psychotic episodes when being modelled

And on that note Güte Nacht, mittenand.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7

First of all we'd better clear up the confusion about Christmas - which is clearly linked to God's Wonderful Railway as it involves three Kings following a Star, so they obviously started out from Swindon.

"We Three Kings of Orient Are, Bringing Gifts From the G.W.R..............." :laugh:

• Like 5

Until recently I had an Alfa Romeo MiTo which had a Dynamic / Normal / Adverse setting switch, amongst other gizmos.  The Dynamic made it go like the proverbial, but I think I was most impressed when last winter I used it in Adverse and it churned through the snow like a Chelsea Tractor.  Brilliant!

Why haven't I still got it?  One of the other features was a 'Neutral Engine Switch-Off' which was meant to operate when you stopped at lights, etc. applied handbrake and put it in neutral.   Three times when braking for a turn, and then selecting a lower gear, it shut the engine off.  Hairy wasn't in it!  Twice they 'cured' it, but the third time was just too much and I traded her in.

I hired an Alfa Guilietta when in Italy recently, like the MiTo but bigger and faster and on some seriously narrow, twisty Tuscan roads it did the self-same thing.   Needless to say I won't be buying another!

• RMweb Gold

I could see snow on the South Wales Mountains this morning from Minehead. I suspect that was a bit more than 2mm.

Don

It was quite widespread over the eastern part of the Brecon Beacons. But the A470 was completely clear over the pass at Travellers Rest.

Since I was enroute to Margam, I then cut off up over the mountain towards Penderyn and Hirwain,on the A4059 and there was no snow up there at all , apart from some in the stream beds and deeper gullies, so I assume most of it had just melted.  I did see a gritting lorry turning around in one of the car parks on the top, but a distinct lack of sheep and the mountain ponies that frequent the area.

The roads were very wet, and with the low sun, there was quite a nasty glare.  when I was on the M4 at The Briton Ferry Bridge between Neath and Port Talbot, the gritters were out again.

The temperatures this afternoon were around the 3 degree C mark, although when I came in this evening they were hovering just above 0 according to the car thermometer.

I could do with a lazy day tomorrow, but have volunteered to take my nephews to school via a feeding session at the local duck pond, so that will be an enforced early start!

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Last minute (literally) of auctions of two identical items of which I wanted one. If I lost the first one, I was going to bid on the second one, finishing twenty seconds later. Brother-in-law Skypes us on the laptop I was using, so I hand that to my wife, pick up her tablet and log into E-bay. The phone rings, and it's a call I can't ignore, so answer that. It's a short call, but by the time I get back to the tablet, both items have gone. Oh well - I guess I've saved some money.

All the best for today, DD.  I just hope it goes as well as it can…:-(

Off to Old Thorns for a winter league match.  Who on earth suggested being there for 8.15am?  Thankfully we still have no sign of the winter weather others seem to be suffering.  Perhaps a light dusting of frost, but nothing more.

Lovely to have Mrs S back home again after her Scotland trip.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

The cars on the other side of the road have frosty coatings. I haven't been out yet to put the bin bag out as it isn't light enough to see properly.

DD. Have  a safe journey,

Tony

Morning All,

There's no frost here this morning, just rain - although the higher parts already have a dusting of snow.

I am glad I have my winter tyres on.  They aren't actually a requirement in Germany - but if you have an accident and you've got Summer tyres on, then you will end up in hot water for not having your vehicle adequately prepared for Winter.

Have a good day everyone...