The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

BF once tried to charge me £many thousands to open a charity event from 15 minutes away.

Can't remember but I think it was £20k.

Norman Wisdom did it as a favour.

Nice to see you, to see you ...............nice!

He was obviously talking to some cash!

Regards

Richard

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

Frosty but beautiful blue skies here in Leeds. Her indoors has decreed that I do some grass cutting (but its wet... so what!) But I am allowed some time to do some modelling for me - a nice change.

weight loss on course for target despite the three course meal at the AGM I attended yesterday!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Barry O 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Curry for me too, last night, chez Sheena. A dall (lentils, which Deb thought tasteless and pointless) and other veg spicy thingie, and a pork dish with fewer spices, plus brown rice and yoghurt which I assume she'd made from goat's milk. I had an extra helping all round which says it all.

I've had another tax rebate - no paperwork in explanation yet, but £400 in the bank. Baffling.

Lovely Autumn morning, after a very windy night (er, outside) with wind whistling down the chimney.

Hope your day going well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

lovely bright (and no doubt chilly) sunny day with breakfast (brunch?) aroma percolating from the kitchen.  

A moment soon to remember all those who didn't get their rightful ration of such mornings but were sent to do the bidding of older, and probably much less wise, men.  And to think too of those who are still being sent.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Ian, I don't care much for Lentils either but they are a significant source of protein      - the highest after soybeans and hemp (people eat hemp?).

Btw since when has it been the 11th hour of the 10th day of the 11th month?????

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure the Cenotaph service has always been on the nearest Sunday.

Not always.  It got moved so it wouldn't mess up the working week.

Funnily enough,  most other Commonwealth countries still tended to observe the 11 Nov.

In the UK remembering on the day only seems to have returned in the last 10 years or so.

I spoke today about the one man recorded on our local war memorial who has no known grave.

I then related the reasons behind the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey, and the story of the selection.

After I finished I noticed that some of the ladies in the congregation were quietly weeping.

I expect that up and down the country there were many others doing similar.

As an old soldier, the older I get the more emotionally charged each successive Remembrance service becomes.

There are some hymns that I can no longer sing for fear of getting all teary.

Regards

Richard

I'm not an expert on modern shipping Don but I suspect the deck cranes will allow this vessel to load and offload containers (carried as deck cargo on the hatch covers) on and off docksides that are not as equipped as places such as the container ports of Avonmouth, Felixstowe, Tilbury and Southampton. Below the hatch covers it looks like there are traditional holds and these cranes would then be able to handle cargo from those - again without the need for dockside cranes.

All this is a little ironic as you saw this in the wider Severn estuary whilst up the coast from you and inland along the River Avon was the site of Stothert and Pitt, cranemakers to the British Empire and whose erections could be seen in general cargo ports around the world in the 1960's. The 2mm layouts of Bath and Bath Green park are located very close to the Lower Bristol Road site of S&P.

• Like 1

Pretty comprehensive Debs. I presume those funny bits along the deck are to do with loading/unloading.

Thanks Don

They`re three, port-side mounted self unloading cranes, Don........She`s unusual in the fact that her bridge and accommodation are forward.

Next port-call showing as 'Newport' on AIS.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Getting teary never did anyone any harm. Pretending you're not affected is much more harmful.

Early start this morning getting a young Beaver smart for church parade, then down to the village war memorial. I notice the attendance is getting bigger each year. I was interested to read how many of the men from our village in WWI ended up in regiments that were from the other end of the country, e.g. Durham Light Infantry. I'd always thought they joined regiments associated with their home county? 

Tomorrow the junior school will have a church service and wreath laying. 

For what it's worth Richard, each time my brother came home from a war zone I shed a tear or two. Ok, who am I trying to kid - quite a lot actually. Battle hardened marines tell me this is a good thing and healthy. Just hope he didn't trip over his sword today taking the salute, wherever he is. :)

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Boat = something which goes underwater .. a ship sails on the sea(!)

Been unblocking drains and cutting grass instead of modelling but managed to get 12 set s of coach sides with tumblehome formed..

yipppeeedddooo!!!

Strangely my father was in World War 2 and saw active service in Britain, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and India and he wasn't one to go to the remembrance services etc as he said he had enough bad memories....

edited for my awful s[pellung mostooks

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

A successful fayre today - we took just over £130 pounds, not bad for Jills hobby where we sell for around £4 per item to a general public.

A lovely day, plenty of sun around but we are now in for the rest of the day.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering if the ship was one of these new green vessels with hi tech auxiliary sails but fortunately those who knew replied. We can see the big cranes at Thames Gateway from Benfleet. Much more visible (at least in daylight) than the old refinery flare.