The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,  

Something quite new for me today - I'm (with a couple of expat colleagues) off to a wedding!   Not the traditional "African" one , nut the one in the church.  One of the girls in the office (my apartment mates secretary) is tying the knot, so would be churlish not to go? 

Not much else to report from here, 

try and have a good day all,

Trev.

• Like 1

Hi Sasquatch,

You are probably already fast asleep, but when you get into 'tomorrow', enjoy the dry wall erection in the train room!

I trust you will be providing suitable liquid and solid refreshment for your workers. Dry walling can be thirst inducing.

• Like 1

Having seen some of Debs (self posted) pictures of herself in action, 'Welder Woman' might be more appropriate......

Yes, welding is a skill I`ve picked-up over the years and surprisingly discovered I had a hand for it (co-ordination wise); I now even have some codings in the processes: SMAW, GMAW, GTAW/Heliarc & PAW.......not much use as a party-piece at Christmas time, though! :mosking:

I`ve always enjoyed the privilege of learning from other artisans and working in aviation research engineering; there were always lots of such highly-skilled trades close at hand and kindly/open-minds from whom to learn. :yes:

• Like 5

Welding is a skill that requires regular practice to be really good. When I was at sea, I did a lot and could almost do it with my eyes closed but I have rarely done it in the past 30 odd years so it takes me a while to get my hand in. I was always better at submerged metal arc than gas!

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Sunny and breezy here, 7c and forecast first frost at sea level tonight.

Welding, yes, the type of welding Gruff and myself were proficient at doesn't have much application in Debs aviation world!  Aircraft made from 30mm steel plate wouldn't fly..... :no:   I loved welding, something I had a flair for, which often came in handy on older ships at sea. :O

OK, off DIY'ing today, adding aerial circuits into the spare room so 'we' can watch TV (I use the DVD - trains :sungum: ) whilst using the exercise cycle.  Looking at a bare wall makes it hurt twice as much for some reason.  Then hopefully a ride on my new bike....maybe.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Sunshine/showers and a rumble of thunder here, looking at the clouds heading this way I think it will be very dark here in about 20 mins.

My dad once tried to teach me how to weld  as he did some repairs on my Singer Gazelle which for those of a younger nature is a car, wish I had taken more interest/notice at the time!

Have a great day

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Never quite cut the mustard as an arc welder, ok on brazing, siver soldering, lead work etc. Also became a dab hand at resistance welding stainless. We had cobbled up an old transformer to give a pretty hefty wack at about 4v. Hey Presto a manual spot welder. We needed to attach pyro elements to stainless steel vessels, which we did by spot welding stainleess steel strips to make small clips. I did wonder if the prcess could be used for modelling but when I changed jobs they kept the transformer.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Colder overnight, and that has continued, with early morning sun soon giving way to cloud and drizzle. Varian has now had a rug on for several days, which is a shame when it's actually been mild at times. We are having a wet Autumn.

MiL chat starts shortly. Last week we agreed I'd call the Administrator to see if she could put pressure on the Local Authority to get MiL into a care home. It took me until Wednesday to get hold of her - off sick - and apparently MiL had been shown a local, modern home and declined it. Naturally she hadn't told me that, almost certainly will genuinely not recall it. Is it any wonder that our chats are a bit stilted?

I note people's poor performing GPs, and can say I feel ours is great. One of the thinnest women I've ever met, not much younger than me. Tuesday afternoon is always open house - no appointment needed.

Thinking of Richard and his nasty jobs just now. Hope he can continue to drop in occasionally, as he did earlier. Chin up, mate.

Everyone else, have a good weekend.

• Like 1

I learned to weld when we had a Chevette. I soon realised it wasn't worth the effort. I was more successful repairing agricultural tools.

Didn't know there was any difference between a Shove-It and agricultural machinery Tony, my BiL had one in the early 80's and I had a good look at it after he slid it sideways into a tree!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,just had a burst of sunshine strong enough to throw shadows on the fence. It has gone again of course, there have been a lot of accidents this morning cars skidding on black ice. We are going out later to order the replacement for the Zafira we are having a Citroen C4 piccaso as the mpg is so good a saving of £50 a month cannot be ignored, might be able to pay the (british) gas bill.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

weather forecast is spot on thus far today, it's chucking down but I do wonder if tomorrow's forecast 'sunny day' will be a non-event.  No model railway exhibitions for me this weekend - credits being saved for next weekend (the Wycombe club's open day) and Warley (well someone has to go!).  I've never dome any welding but a good many years ago I did sell my Triumph Herald convertible to a welder, it kept him busy for a week or three.

Might get back to some scanning today - one or two nice station views are in mind including Southall - but I've also get some signalling diagrams to do for folk various as well and the first draft of the big Rule Book will be back soon from the railway concerned with their requests for changes (I expect).  Must get some wood into the ready use store tomorrow as herself is getting into 'we must have the wood-burner going in this weather' mode.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 2

So, whilst accepting that parents can often plead for antibios for viral chest complaints, iD, it is not necessarily clear cut? Maybe keep an open mind? 

I agree, Andy. Asking the doctor to examine a child (or oneself) with a URTI is one thing, but insisting on antibiotics when it is a classical viral infection is really not on (assuming, unlike in your case, you have a proper diagnosis made). In your case I'm really amazed how a bacterial URTI could be mistaken for Asthma (and yes, I do know that some of the symptomatology overlaps)

Currently I'm also working in the field of antibiotics (Abx) and we are, quite literally, running out of options, there are too many pathogens out there developing resistance to antibiotics and the new Abx pipeline is pretty empty,  Data have shown that those countries which have the lowest prescribing rate for antibiotics also have the lowest rates of antibiotic resistant pathogens. It's not coincidental that countries that permit OTC (over-the-counter) antibiotics sales have high rates of Abx resistant bugs and some of the Abx resistant bugs out there make MRSA look positively harmless!. (if you fancy a really sleepless night talk to a bacteriologist about virulent Abx resistant pathogens). So, yes, I do tend to get concerned at the way antibiotics are misused.

Ironically, many of these virulent bacteria (such as some of the E coli strains) live quite happily inside our gut, not causing any harm, it's only when they get where they're not supposed to be (through poor hygiene etc) that problems emerge (and, yes, I am simplifying...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"What's Strictly????" An absolutely GHASTLY TV  dance program hosted a by a chap with a voice defect which leads one to doubt his gender and who should have been strangled at birth!

I haven't watched Strictly but have seen the first and last few minutes when recording other programmes. As I never assumed Bruce Forsyth had a voice defect should I assume that Don is watching (or avoiding) a local version rather than the BBC version?  :) 

Welding, yes, the type of welding Gruff and myself were proficient at doesn't have much application in Debs aviation world! 

Here`s some manual-process TiG/TiP welding by my own hand (millimetric scale displayed):

Heliarc plasma-tungsten on a 4130 steel pitch-control crank.

GTAW-TIG (under 75/25 Argon/Helium) a Ti-6A1-4V Titanium turbine nozzle tube.

On both of these items the metal was fused under an inert gas-mix or hot-plasma shield, with the high-frequency electrode (often a radioactive thoriated-tungsten needle) held in the right hand, being used to both heat and pull-in molten metal from each component whilst stirring and pushing the pool of molten metal to form the desired even-ridges as the metal solidifies, with extra-metal being added to the pool by dipping-in a filler-rod (made of the same metal) using the left hand, the circular form of the weld-vector adds greatly to the positional dexterity required to produce a certifiable-pass.

The variety of processes and techniques used in the world of welding are fascinating and I`ve found learning and practicing them to be quite addictive.

Finally, this is the picture that Richard mentioned (that started this conversation): me, doing some 'old-fashioned' MMA (arc-welding)......... :whistle: yes, yes I know: "bare arms!" :nono:

• Like 4