The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't pop over to England to dig a hole for a shrub could you Robert - guess what I'm asked instructed to do today.

Mike,

To save Robert coming over to England, I've just finished digging the hole you wanted.

Since I wasn't sure where you wanted it I've dug it on our ornamental banking at the bottom of the garden.

You are free to drop the shrub in anytime this week!

regards

Richard

• RMweb Premium

back from the AGM - bit breezy but noce sunny day otherwise.

Might get chance for some....modellling this afternoon while preparing tea.

Have a nice restful Sunday

Barry O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Don't dig it there, dig it elsewhere, you're digging it round and it ought to be square" etc

Surprised myself by spending an hour on the lawn tractor. The ground's a bit soft, so I had to use a higher setting than usual, and have left tyre marks, but it's shorter at least.

I try to keep Deb's PCs up to date with Microsoft Updates etc, but her desktop - quite modern, w Win 7 - has decided it can't run Update. I've just downloaded IE10 and Security Essentials, which has scanned with no problems. Will try again later.

"Don't dig it there, dig it elsewhere, you're digging it round and it ought to be square" etc

Surprised myself by spending an hour on the lawn tractor. The ground's a bit soft, so I had to use a higher setting than usual, and have left tyre marks, but it's shorter at least.

I try to keep Deb's PCs up to date with Microsoft Updates etc, but her desktop - quite modern, w Win 7 - has decided it can't run Update. I've just downloaded IE10 and Security Essentials, which has scanned with no problems. Will try again later.

Ian - My XP has 7 updates - mainly to Excel and similar, which will NOT update no matter what is done - my GURU has done/run various arcane things without success - It simply comes up with "update failed"alongside each installation on the list. I have suffcient anti-nasty-mal-thingies so I am ignoring them, on his instructions.

Edited by shortliner

FiL taking the last rites today (or what ever they call it nowadays). Now before you all write in with supportive posts - I never liked him nor him me particularly. If we ever meet up for a drink sometime I'll explain why. Just to say he is/was an unpleasant man. Still, I don't like to see him suffer so do hope it is over swiftly and comfortably for him.

Personally I believe that his demise will be the making of my MiL who I do love dearly - even if she does have a sharp tongue (when I need it).

Anyone watching the NYC Marathon will note there is a chilly North wind and it is cloudy. I had to take the Dog out at 3:00am and we even saw wet snow flakes.

Later, Pete.

• Like 2

I`m reasonably 'savvy' with such things, but I still find computer operating systems are infuriating; no sooner does one have a fully upto date computer, than yet another critical-update comes along, claiming to require immediate attention and wanting inconvenient restarts (when one`s trying to work: the reason for having just turned the thing on).

I`m certain most of us have owned our cars (another complex machine) for years, without the base-method of operation and security system needing to be updated even once.

Like a car (or my trusty-old Tv), I just wish the computer could simply turn on and off (without several minutes delay on both of those actions) and work repeatably well; day after day. :yes:

.....We think we`re so technologically-advanced and well served by our computers but often: "computer (still) says; No!" :drag:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There was a recent set of Windows 7 updates on Matthew's laptop that tested my patience somewhat but I did succeed. Unfortunately for anyone else I don't recall what I did though it did involve adding the updates one at a time and not in the order they appeared in the list. The Windows 8.1 upgrade on my PC installed flawlessly. The assorted iOS 7 upgrades (about 4 now?) seem to have gone smoothly on my iPod so I'm obviously due for some major IT failure soon.

I enjoyed seeing the layouts at the exhibition, Aditi dug lots of holes while I was out and has filled them with bulbs and wallflowers so the garden will look pretty in Spring. I have taken Robbie out but I kept to the footpaths in the park as my boots have started leaking. I have now cleaned and reproofed them but if that doesn't work I'll go and buy another pair (from one of the brands that I have purchased before that don't let in water) and keep these for the summer. They are very comfortable but I don't like wet feet (unlike my dog who likes wet everything).

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I`m certain most of us have owned our cars (another complex machine) for years, without the base-method of operation and security system needing to be updated even once.

Never owned a Freelander 2 then?

• RMweb Premium

I'm planning to stop by at the very nice model shop of Mr Bertram's tomorrow to have a look at that H0 scale 171. Actually, I haven't been to his shop since he moved further east on Eisenbahnstraße, so I am curious how his new location looks. He doesn't seem to have the type of mid-entry Halberstadt coach I'd like to add to the loco to represent one of the typical 1- to 2-coach formations which used to run on the Rübeland Railway, but I'll be sure to ask anyway.

• Like 2

Afternoon all,   

While looking for some thing else I came across a couple of photos of this  0 gauge loco I built for a client  in 2004. Made a change at the time from all the German  NG stuff I was building for my self!

post-4282-0-27723500-1383497848.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I tried to post earlier before work but RMweb seemed to break and it was still on the screen so round 2 haha

Morning all.

It's grey and miserable out, I'm up early on a Sunday. Its work again! After a run of 2230 finishes (one of which became and 0330 finish) today's the early start that wipes me out!

Interesting to hear of Fridays M25 tales from the opposite direction Dave, my parents were in the reverse direction coming home to Wiltshire from a weeks holiday in Southwold

As a post script, though it was crazy busy (do people have nowt else to do on a reasonably sunny Sunday afternoon than go to Sainsburys?) and the start of the build up to everyone's favourite shopping period seems to be beginning, all went to plan and I'm looking forward to iplayering the F1 after tea!

jo

Edited by ewsjo

• RMweb Premium

Evening. 

Great day was had at Groudle, special running day for visitors from all the narrow gauge railway staff groups from the UK,  Sea Lion and Steamplex in steam, intensive service and a lot of 'cabbing'.  NHN was guarding today, plus a little diesel driving shunting about this morning.

It was a lovely sunny day if a little breezy at times, chilly 6c now though.

Photos later if I can be bothered as I am somewhat cream crackered. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyable trip across to the Lake District today. All four seasons in one day. Strong winds early on then vey heavy squally showers mixed with glorious sunshine. Snow on the high fells. When the sun was out the autumnal colours were stunning. To cap it off though, a heavy hailstorm so intense that the ground looked covered with snow even at low levels.

One for the trivia buffs amongst us.

How many lakes are there in the Lake District?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK, so I could be bothered...some trains, as it's Sunday, and trains are my religion.

Steaming up this morning - Jack Dibnah (yes, that one) visiting for a drive as he has moved away from the IoM now.

post-10195-0-93683200-1383510732_thumb.jpg

Ready for the off - Sea Lion and the Steamplex, Matt Durkin as Guard for train one.

post-10195-0-04901300-1383510759_thumb.jpg

Mmmmmm  :-)

post-10195-0-95860200-1383510876_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

A few from last week - at the K&WVR we were lucky enough to see the Coal Tank....

post-10195-0-39649500-1383511874_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-56536600-1383511896_thumb.jpg

River Mite on the Ravenglass and Eskdale....dramatic lighting, we didn't get wet either - just!

post-10195-0-29267300-1383511926_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-55192800-1383511978_thumb.jpg

Finished up at the Lakeside & Haverthwaite.... Bagnall Princess.

post-10195-0-57316800-1383512044_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

One for Pete, as I haven't been able to photograph my new bike properly yet, here it is on my trailer waiting for the ferry last Sunday!  A jobsworth told me off for taking photos in a security area, but as that is a station platform on the right behind the car and that is open access.....#sigh#

post-10195-0-33404900-1383512306_thumb.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 7