The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning, sunny with showers  albeit heavy ones which mean the lawns are off limits, as for logs the wood store is full to the brim and also  3 rather large oak branches waiting to be cut up and split for storing to use next year or the year after.

Apart from ash which occasionally I burn green everything gets a minimum of 12 months or longer, two of my neighbours are having wood burners fitted so I might have some competition for the free offcuts I get around the village!! However I'm retired they are not which gives me an advantage if needed lol.

Have a good day all.

• Like 2

A late good morning to all, RMWeb was broken when I tried (much) earlier.  Having just paid a fortune to have the jungle that passes for a back garden cleared and turf laid, I find myself fancying one of my favourite trees-a Weeping Willow. Do any of the gardeners on here have any views please?

Ed

A weeping willow is a lovely tree, but has disadvantages - particularly in an urban environment...

They grow very quickly, get very large and the roots are very invasive.  You need to make sure that it is planted in a location where it cannot interfere with foundations, drains and so on.

An alternative consideration would be a Salix Integra - perhaps a half standard - if you don't have room for the weeping willow.

I can't claim to be a gardening expert - but I worked weekends at a Garden Centre for quite a few years :)

Edited by Robert

• RMweb Premium

A late good morning to all, RMWeb was broken when I tried (much) earlier.  Having just paid a fortune to have the jungle that passes for a back garden cleared and turf laid, I find myself fancying one of my favourite trees-a Weeping Willow. Do any of the gardeners on here have any views please?

Ed

Hi, Ed,

Funnily enough I was just out in the back garden planting a tree having cleared the previous Yew and Ash trees out. The tree I put in is a Serviceberry (aka Juneberry). 

I've no connection (usual disclaimers) to the supplier but it's worth taking a look at www.Barcham.co.uk

They have all sorts of trees available to buy online and you can also see a video of the particular tree in a species you wish to buy.

Like you I love the Weeping Willow, but they can get quite big and I believe take a lot of water? I have to suffice with just having one on my OO layout instead! 

Best, Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine has a garden railway and a storm brought down some HV voltage lines across the tracks. Some track was damaged the signalling and control circuits (they dont like 11KV up em). The electricity board did pay for some track but no compensation for his time and trouble.

Don

Morning   Afternoon all,  Site was broken when I tried earlier too... between 5 & 6am (GMT)  Turned out quite nice too, sunshine showers and found my car is quite good in deep water / mud that made one of the roads on the trading estate I've been to this afternoon , what you would call an "interesting" journey...decided it was silly driving past the apartment to go into the office for an hour...so now sat on the balcony with nice breeze, pack of Ginger nuts, and very large coffee,  suns not quite got to me yet but its currently around 30c, and 75% humidity....

Ok best get on with some work....

Enjoy your evening.

Trev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all - sorry I'm late, work.

Went to Saxmundham this morning, dodging a not inconsiderable amount of storm damage (trees etc.) - as I arrived my phone was ringing, it was our janitor telling me not to come in as there was no power, "too late I'm here", so I went into the office for 2 minutes and then headed back home - I have to ring up near to 5 to see if power is back, otherwise another day at home beckons.

It's going dark already and it's only 16:15  :angry:

Have a good evening all.

Back.

Next holiday will be through Death Valley on a bike or a fortnight down a Coal Mine.

Got the last ferry into Dover before it was closed and have been recovering since.

Those Storm Chaser programmes on TV spring to mind.

If you ever think of driving to Spanish Coast and back, go and lay down in a darkened room.

It's a very silly idea.

post-7041-0-51388100-1383064189.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm back home now after returning the Hyundai, collecting the Land Rover (not only fixed but very clean), dropping in to the nice model railway shop in Chelmsford, and finishing up with the garden centre (very busy) and then M&S for some food. After that lot Robbie got a walk. He was ecstatic on seeing his car back at home.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

Back.

Next holiday will be through Death Valley on a bike or a fortnight down a Coal Mine.

attachicon.gifCalais.jpg

They organise a half Marathon through Death Valley....

I'm back home now after returning the Hyundai, collecting the Land Rover (not only fixed but very clean), dropping in to the nice model railway shop in Chelmsford, and finishing up with the garden centre (very busy) and then M&S for some food. After that lot Robbie got a walk. He was ecstatic on seeing his car back at home.

Duffield's?

Is the car still clean?

I just came back from the Vets and was startled to see a brand new Volvo with British license plates in front of me. NEVER seen that before over here.....

I bet he gets stopped by the Cops a lot.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see you back safe and sound DD. I think it was yesterday or the day before I wondered if you had actually arrived in Spain.

I saw the 'Calais 7, Calais 6' signs last time I was there.

I remember thinking what an exciting local derby match that must have been.

Today, I am told, I have been accessorising the bathroom and kitchen.

I thought I had been shopping.

• RMweb Gold

They organise a half Marathon through Death Valley....

Duffield's?

Is the car still clean?

Best, Pete.

Yes, John Duffield's . A proper model railway store.

Car still clean but not for long I suspect. 

• Like 1

It was the second half they organised.

We saw a notice recently, at the top of one of the few trails down into the Grand Canyon. It said 'Going down is optional - coming back up is mandatory'.

Edit - sorry, I got the wording a bit wrong. Here's the sign itself - http://www.lifeinus.com/Images/AZ/gcanyon0427.jpg

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So there was Mr Shark, swimming round the bay one morning, when he met the local squid. "Morning, Mr Squid - how are you today?" "Not so good, really, got a bit of a thick head this morning." "Never mind, jump on my back and we'll have a quick trip round the bay - blow the cobwebs away!" So off they set. Quite soon they met a whale "Morning Mr Whale" said the shark "Here's that six quid I owe you!"

Normal service has been resumed.

Have a good day.

There were two prawns, Herbert and Christian. Christian didn't speak to Herbert for a long time after he tried to feed him to a shark. One day Christian saw Herbert by the reef and was about to hurry off when Herbert shouted to him "Don't go! I'm so sorry about what happened - I was confused and having an identity crisis. I thought I was a shark" You can trust me now though.........

wait for it...........

Scroll down a bit..........

how bad can it be..........

".........I'm a Prawn again, Christian"

• RMweb Premium

There were two prawns, Herbert and Christian. Christian didn't speak to Herbert for a long time after he tried to feed him to a shark. One day Christian saw Herbert by the reef and was about to hurry off when Herbert shouted to him "Don't go! I'm so sorry about what happened - I was confused and having an identity crisis. I thought I was a shark" You can trust me now though.........

wait for it...........

Scroll down a bit..........

how bad can it be..........

".........I'm a Prawn again, Christian"

You tried God knows you tried............

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just came back from the Vets and was startled to see a brand new Volvo with British license plates in front of me. NEVER seen that before over here.....

I bet he gets stopped by the Cops a lot.

Best, Pete.

I saw a Landrover in Naples Florida with British plates earlier this year, I assume that there is a time span to get them changed to USA plates? Cant believe someone would ship one over for their holidays lol!