The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Don

ps Pete you did keep mentioning the storm. I know one tornado would probably do more damage but it hit the south east where they are not so used to it.

I've been watching various radars throughout the night and that doesn't surprise me one bit.

The storm system was. in some respects more like a very strong frontal system than, say, a Hurricane. It looked like a series of Squall Lines or Gust Fronts which affect quite small areas in turn.

After all it's no comfort to hear that the next town to you escaped any damage when your house is the only one in the street with a tree through the roof (or worse). Overall it could have meant millions without power - that does not seem an issue.

After "Sandy" we were without power for nine days - I still consider that we, as a family, got off lightly considering the circumstances - and no one is used to Tornados, there is absolutely nothing you can do against such a force of nature, it is devastating. I'm so glad that you were OK in the motorhome....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's gone, the sun is coming out and the rain has more or less stopped. I think we survived intact, I'll do a "reccy" later.

Hope everyone else is untouched by Mum Nature and Ian (roundhouse) gets his roof sorted.

• RMweb Gold

I've been watching various radars throughout the night and that doesn't surprise me one bit.

The storm system was. in some respects more like a very strong frontal system than, say, a Hurricane. It looked like a series of Squall Lines or Gust Fronts which affect quite small areas in turn.

After all it's no comfort to hear that the next town to you escaped any damage when your house is the only one in the street with a tree through the roof (or worse). Overall it could have meant millions without power - that does not seem an issue.

After "Sandy" we were without power for nine days - I still consider that we, as a family, got off lightly considering the circumstances - and no one is used to Tornados, there is absolutely nothing you can do against such a force of nature, it is devastating. I'm so glad that you were OK in the motorhome....

Best, Pete.

Depends how you count 'without power Pete' - according to earlier reports the number is certainly in the low hundreds of thousands people.

• RMweb Gold

Have just ventured up into the loft which was quite heavily affected by the re-wiring etc.

Started tidying, cleared away a pile of old loft insulation and cable, moved a load of junk around, hoovered up two Hoover bags of dust and, why ya bugga, there's some track and trains under there. .

Edited by BoD
  • Like 5

Depends how you count 'without power Pete' - according to earlier reports the number is certainly in the low hundreds of thousands people.

Not sure of your point, Mike. After "Sandy" 66 Million people were without power - 2,600,000 of New Jersey households included. 73 fatalities. New York subway filled with water from about 30th Street on down etc., etc. That was a big storm.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

It's gone, the sun is coming out and the rain has more or less stopped. I think we survived intact, I'll do a "reccy" later.

Hope everyone else is untouched by Mum Nature and Ian (roundhouse) gets his roof sorted.

Thanks

Just in the middle of a hail storm so will go up in the loft and make sure no water is getting through.

Think we have only lost some ridge tiles and theres quite a bit of mortar still inp lace so hopefully that will hold the roof felt in place and avoid any leaks.

Gave up trying to get into work. Supposedly an hourly service running from here to London but the last one was terminting hsort at Bew Cross Gate. Was also conserned about getting home again so doing some work at home. DOnt think my boss is happy nut he only has to drive from West London. Very few made it into the office.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Although the big storm has passed it has still been a wet day when walking it took a few minutes downpour to soak us and then kept topping it up with sudden squalls all during the walk.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I've just read the update from C2C and they are only running trains to Barking. It would appear there are trees on the line near Fenchurch St. I wonder where they came from?

Edit

Curiosity has driven me to look for trees on Google Maps! 

They seem to be some near Tower Gateway near Minories. I've never noticed trees that close to Fenchurch St before.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I've just read the update from C2C and they are only running trains to Barking. It would appear there are trees on the line near Fenchurch St. I wonder where they came from?

From little acorns

• RMweb Gold

I've just had a phone call to say my car is ready but I'll go tomorrow. By then I hope Chelmsford will be less jammed up. The Travelodge roof is still being removed from the road. I'm sure Pete recalls the Army and Navy roundabout. The hotel is located where the pub used to be and its roof is now perfectly located to cause some "chaos". I was amused to see that the hotel is described as "Refurbished with our fresh new look" .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure of your point, Mike. After "Sandy" 66 Million people were without power - 2,600,000 of New Jersey households included. 73 fatalities. New York subway filled with water from about 30th Street on down etc., etc. That was a big storm.

Best, Pete.

Just a bit of info as much as anything - definitely not a comparison with Sandy of course (the figure quoted is 240,000 homes without power).  Incidentally the weather people described it as exactly what it was - a relatively fast moving extreme depression bringing very strong winds and rain.  Hurricane Force winds were forecast for certain Sea Areas and they got them.

Agree, nasty weather that could have been much worse - also agree with your earlier comments on lineside vegetation. It has to be looked at pronto and dealt with, unfortunately people have short memories...

Debs, someone used the term "Damp Squid" in the "Bad Weather" thread. "Squibs" are up in arms. Actually I think a lot of people have forgotten the "1d Banger" and certainly that they were also called squibs....

Best, Pete.

I've just had a phone call to say my car is ready but I'll go tomorrow. By then I hope Chelmsford will be less jammed up. The Travelodge roof is still being removed from the road. I'm sure Pete recalls the Army and Navy roundabout. The hotel is located where the pub used to be and its roof is now perfectly located to cause some "chaos". I was amused to see that the hotel is described as "Refurbished with our fresh new look" .

Yes, I do.

Does the "BritVic Roundabout" still exist? Does BritVic?

The amount of BritVic Orange I bought as a young kid dating young girls in Brentwood.....they've probably gone bust now.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Power went off this afternoon and just came back on. 

How we take it for granted!

Cooked tea by torchlight; well the gas hob helped! 

Couldn't boil kettle for a cup of coffee, but found a rather nice bottle of red in the half light.

When SWMBO got home she found quite a lot less of a bottle of red.  

In hindsight I could have boiled the water on the hob, but it was a very enticing bottle of red. 

Best, andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Phew, what a day.  Looks like a busy ahead week for me, and my few colleagues actually at work!   It never rains....

That bottle of red is a very enticing prospect too, there's a few laid down, but that would result in a no-show at work for me tomorrow also.  This would not be good at the moment.

I was going to walk down to the garage ( all of 80 feet) to gloat over my new bike, but the sound of the rain on the back porch roof has made the log burner in the lounge a more enticing prospect.  I tired.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Power went off this afternoon and just came back on. 

How we take it for granted!

Cooked tea by torchlight; well the gas hob helped! 

Couldn't boil kettle for a cup of coffee, but found a rather nice bottle of red in the half light.

When SWMBO got home she found quite a lot less of a bottle of red.  

In hindsight I could have boiled the water on the hob, but it was a very enticing bottle of red. 

Best, andy

We found out a long time a go that a bottle of decent red is an excellent way of dealing with a power failure - thoroughly recommended and far more comforting than ringing your electricity supplier's recorded message.

I was going to walk down to the garage ( all of 80 feet) to gloat over my new bike, but the sound of the rain on the back porch roof has made the log burner in the lounge a more enticing prospect.  I tired.

We need photos!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

We found out a long time a go that a bottle of decent red is an excellent way of dealing with a power failure - thoroughly recommended and far more comforting than ringing your electricity supplier's recorded message.

Blimus - for a 9-day outage like Pete had I'd need to buy a vineyard...and then it'd probably cause a blackout!