The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Yet another beautiful morning here in the Gotham Metroplex. Partly cloudy later. We're hoping for a bit of rain tomorrow but it will not be much.

Since we have have had clear day wind everywhere is inundated with leaves. Poor year for good Fall colour.

So many leaves around that they are impossible to bag we pile them at the kerb and the local council comes around (about three times) with a front loader and a fleet of large trucks.

Best, Pete.

Round here the council contractors cut the grass(ish) verges, allegedly clear the gutters, and trim trees.  When cutting grass they use a blower to disperse it - straight through my front gates unless I'm out there watching their antics and moaning at them like all good miserable old gits should be doing.  As fir clearing up fallen leaves - well if it would be anything like their efforts with snow they'd probably come round in December or January to collect leaves as they don't usually touch the snow until it's mostly gone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Late on parade!

My day was all planned out. Early start, and off to Le Mans to get my hair cut, then to Social Services to register my Form S1, which means from 12th November all my healthcare costs are taken care of by UK plc. [Actually it's only 70%, but it's the bit the State pays for in France, saving me about £2k p.a..] So by 8.50-ish I was ready to leave. One cat had failed to appear for supper, and again for breakfast. Sadly as I got to the gateway I found out why - a large furry mess in the road. So fetched a shovel and a bag and put her in the bin. No fun!

Thereafter things worked fine, my hair is now very short - timed to perfection with temperatures about 18 today - the SS now have my form, which they seemed to understand, and I've even got my prescription for a flu jab signed by my GP. I now have to take that to the chemist to get it fulfilled, then to a nurse (unconnected with the doctor) to get it administered. And then, having paid the nurse in cash, I can get that back by sending in a form to somewhere. If I can be bothered for about £5....

A promising start to the day had turned to drizzle by mid-morning.

Hope yours is more cheerful!

Round here the council contractors cut the grass(ish) verges, allegedly clear the gutters, and trim trees.  When cutting grass they use a blower to disperse it - straight through my front gates unless I'm out there watching their antics and moaning at them like all good miserable old gits should be doing.  As fir clearing up fallen leaves - well if it would be anything like their efforts with snow they'd probably come round in December or January to collect leaves as they don't usually touch the snow until it's mostly gone.

Local UK Government usually sucks but we pay through the nose for efficiency.

One of the few things free over here is the annual Flu shot - and I don't have to get a prescription first.

Best, Miserable Old Git in the US

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Good to hear that Barry is off to Betty's - turn on strong green reaction.  However not as bad as it could be as Mrs Stationmaster will be making bread and leek & potato soup so while our lunch will be a bit more 'umble than one at Bettys it will be mighty enjoyable, have a good time Barry.

Even better - managed a breakfast which had a piece of toast dripping in butter!!  - well worth the mortgage I paid for it.. then a brief walk around a very wet Harrogate  then home.. things to do people to see ....etc etc

And if you want fun read the NGT documents (environmental statement) - typical consulatncy engo babble

http://www.ngtmetro.com/TWAO_Documents/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the few things free over here is the annual Flu shot - and I don't have to get a prescription first.

We pay through the nose here for local Govt (and every other sort of Govt as well come to that) and our flu jabs are free although we have to pre-book - however some of the admin and records recording seem to totally defeat our current GP's office non-system!

Edit to add PS - Garden design lady duly visited and some worthwhile proposals for planting but even better she recommended we go to the 'Root One' (honest!) garden centre just the other side of Wallingford - which is great as it has one of the best garden centre (or anything else) cafes I've ever come across with top notch breakfasts, well worth the expenditure of diesel to get there.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian: £5 for a flu jab?.....

Just back from town where I picked up a Roald Dahl book that my daughter had reserved.

"That's 10p for the admin fee please", says the librarian.

Me - scrabbles around for small denomination coins and pays in 1p and 2p pieces

"Would you like a receipt?"

I'm wondering what else you can buy for 10p these days.  

Of course I shall be reverse charging my daughter by getting her out in the garden working. Well, copper pennies don't grow on trees yea know!  :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The people who do the work in our district seem to do a good job. Can't say I'm impressed with their political overlords/ladies/persons though. 

I will be joining the queue for my flu jab on Saturday. I "qualified" for a NHS flu jab years ago due to a dodgy immune system. The first one I had years ago I was in the queue behind some older chap who was berating a young woman for "taking something meant for the old folks". I (very politely) suggested that he should leave her alone and pick on me instead. He shut up. Now at least I'm in the looks old anyway group! Though I must admit I usually seem to be a group of jolly people in recent years.

At one of the previous Discworld Conventions, Terry Pratchett told a story of his mishap involving a sandwich, the resulting effects being blood pressure medication. His wife apparently found out that 1 beer halved the need, and 2 beers removed the need for the medication. There after he said she insisted he have 2 beers each evening, even ordering creates for him, very sternly insisting too according to him!

That was Terry's version. What did his wife say?

• Like 1

But are you a "miserable old git" yet, Tony? Somehow I don't think so..........your outlook always appears to be forgiving and sunny in nature.

Except when it comes to Leylandii of course.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

The Hunslet`s enclosed gearbox is now assembled and running like iLDottore`s Swiss timepiece! :boast:

Phosphor-bronze shim washers had to be precisely made, to take up side-play on the axle gear; it`s now down to an acceptable +.003 mm......Perhaps surprisingly, the difference twixt the initial float of .012 mm. and the final figure could be clearly 'heard' and seen in a fore and aft occillation of the motor`s shaft.

I`ve learned a lot about loco-gearboxes in researching and setting-up this part of the build. :yes:

Deb. & Co(llies) :friends:

• RMweb Gold

If you want to see the nice weather we are having (or even the bad weather during Hurricanes) go to this site:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/statueofliberty/

Some nice views of Gotham and the Harbour.

Best, Pete.

It's improving now the second lot we know of have had a wedding in NYC - the next door neighbours had excellent weather, the son of Mrs Stationmaster's oldest friend got married last week and I think that was when the weather was a bit worse but then they were off to somewhere in Upstate NY for a 'family party' so we'll no doubt get to hear how that went (although a friend of the newly acquired wife's family who she calls 'Uncle John' and his daughter Angelina were reported to be not attending!).

Edited by The Stationmaster

Unfortunately (depending on your viewpoint) the camera's are facing touristy sites, er, like Manhattan....

If they turned them the other way to the right we would see the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and all the big container ships and large TransAtlantic Ro-Ro's heading for the Port.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately (depending on your viewpoint) the camera's are facing touristy sites, er, like Manhattan....

If they turned them the other way to the right we would see the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and all the big container ships and large TransAtlantic Ro-Ro's heading for the Port.

Best, Pete.

Still much more interesting than the one on the end of Southend Pier!

Afternoon all.

Just back from Hundeschule with the Hairy MonsterTM. He just gets better with time and the patient effort I've put into him.

After reading about all the mishaps involving potholes, appalling council services, lack of good manners, etc. I realise that I am very fortunate to be where I am. The sheer efficiency of Switzerland means that it is very hard to be a grumpy old git (but I try, I try...) Of course, yoof are - as always - a suitable target. But even so, they do have some vestiges of good manners (I was most amused when, getting on a tram when I was on crutches , I had to get a kid to get his legs off the seat so I could sit. I looked him in the eye and said, in English, "move it or loose it" and went to sit down on his legs. The prospect of 100+ Kgs of iL Dottore landing on his spindly shanks made him move them pretty damn quickly...). Most kids here are pretty much polite and well behaved.

Unfortunately, since the 70s, we have had the rise of incompetence and mediocrity as acceptable work traits provided you can "talk the talk", combine it with the "me first" culture and political correctness and should we not wonder - as the poet put it - "and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born"

iD

p.s. I have finally completed the "under roof" (roof support) structures for the Old Blue Last. Once I have finished another minor prep task I will post pictures in my OBL/MBH thread.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3