The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Crime is still alive and well in Cape Town. I stopped driving almost three years ago and the lady who has since then given me a lift to and from Church was last Sunday night deprived of her car at gun point as she stopped in front of her residence.

It was not a very new car so I think it was probably stolen to be used in the commission of another crime.and not for resale.

Oh dear, that could have turned out really nasty... :O

I well remember that article published in Der Spiegel in the late 90s, which described how South African car owners keep coming up with creative anti-theft devices. Among those mentioned in the article were buckshot shells hidden in the driver's seat which could be remotely triggered to execute any illicit driver; flame throwers mounted along the car sides; and nail bombs built into the dashboard.

• RMweb Gold

Likewise here yesterday! Lovely sunshine for taking our visitors to Brixham then for an invigorating walk over Berry Head. Rounded off day with an enjoyable evening at The Little Theatre for the final performance of "84, Charing Cross Road." Brilliant!

So, yes, Don, we are sleeping in a little!

Ah now I do miss walking on Berry Head there and Sharkham Point.

the other Don

• RMweb Gold

BAck in Minehead toaday after a few days on relatively flat walks the hills did seem a bit steeper this afternoon.

Neil we were staying on a campsite at Stover (next door to the country park see photos the other day) which is an easy run into the Show site at Exeter so if you fancy an autumn break it is worth remembering.

Don

My area doesn't have stunning scenery - think Bluebell Railway rather than Welsh Highland, but there can be some nice views from the train.

Looks pretty stunning to me. You don't need mountains for beauty.

Just heard on the radio that Hayling Island suffered a Tornado..................today?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Worth noting, thanks Don.  The ferry cost is the issue - this week's journeys cost £400.  We would come away much more often if it was more reasonable, as it is we only come across for proper holidays now rather than a long weekend.  Robbers...

• RMweb Premium

Just heard on the radio that Hayling Island suffered a Tornado..................today?

Best, Pete.

Yep hopefully no one hurt - we have just had the odd lashings of rain in Leeds today

Roast Beef and Yorkshire puddings demolished by her indoors, Herbert and myself having slaved over a hot cooker for a while .... Now need a beer to wash it down

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Worth noting, thanks Don.  The ferry cost is the issue - this week's journeys cost £400.  We would come away much more often if it was more reasonable, as it is we only come across for proper holidays now rather than a long weekend.  Robbers...

yes and no more LBA flights either..

• RMweb Gold

Posed carefully in front of the steam loco yesterday, as well as re-appearing at every stop, was this motor-bike. Knowing there are several bikers and ex-bikers on here, I though it might be of interest. A 1971 Moto-Guzzi.

post-4295-0-98569200-1382292233_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The seat on the BSA C15 I acquired in 1973 looked much worse. A cat had clawed it and made a comfy resting place. My first task was to get the engine working though as the previous owner who was a engine tester at  the Longbridge car factory had given up. 

Edited by Tony_S

Cloudy with an almost gale force South Easter wind (45kph). Temperature only expected to reach 18C (15C as I type), so not a very pleasant day outside. Even inside looking out with the trees  waving in the wind and the sky mostly cloudy it doesn't look appealing.

A rather forbidding looking Monday.

I hope your day bodes better.

Morning All,

Just back from the holiday hovel and I'm just about to take the Hairy Monster for his morning constitutional.

I've a lot to catch up on, here on ER and I want to (finally) finish the under roof of the pub.... (ha, ha)

Sympathies for those on antihypertensives, I too am afflicted and have been on an ACE inhibitor/Hydrochlorothiazide combination for many years now. My BP is higher than I'd like, but the GP attributes it to my current stressful situation (work related [what else???] and hopefully not for much longer). Fortunately, there are data showing that owning a dog or cat significantly reduces hypertension and the incidence of cardiovascular events. That, and walking the HM every day for at least an hour, I hope will provide some benefit - both physical and psychological.

Will drop in later....

TaTa for now...

Good Monday Morning all, 

Not much to report from here, but I thought you'd like to see Friday mornings sunrise...(dull n dismal here this morning)

Go ON smile, you know you really want to.. 

Have a good un, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-09149500-1382333785.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Raining again, 14oC and plenty more rain to come.

This morning I have to take Chris to the dentist as she appears to have a loose filling. This will probably be traumatic for all three of us (including dentist) because anything more than a checkup causes major anxiety & the end of the world as we know it.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Morning All,

I am back in the office this morning - but a little later on parade having sat in a traffic jam.  In typical Monday fashion, there was an accident that delayed progress significantly - despite the fact that it is still the Autumn school holidays in Hessen.

Nice to see the old Guzzi.  There was definitely something about the style and simplicity of 70s bikes.  My Father has an old Kawasaki Z400.  Before that, he had a CZ which was another bike of incredible simplicity.  Like the Guzzi, the electrics were terrible - but mechanically, the bike was ultra reliable.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

Our weekend weather has been better than forecast, enabling us to visit various local places with our friends, including Cockington yesterday afternoon. In the morning, whilst we were in church, our visitors took themselves off to Shaldon and Teignmouth but were drenched when the heavens opened when they were some distance from the car. They decided it was divine retribution for not attending church!!

Last night, we had another rehearsal for "The Railway Children" which was fun. The Director is excellent; last April she broke her back in a ski-ing accident in France but has made a full recovery and had an active part in last week's play ("84, Charing Cross Road") which entailed carrying books and climbing up and down steps with them!

100% chance of rain here and it is! Happy Monday!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Glad Sherry is showing her guests all the right places - Cockington is lovely, for those who may not have been. And that pub......

Quite a bright morning here, which is nice. Despite yesterday afternoon being forecast as merely cloudy, we had heavy squally showers, knocking out my Internet connection for an hour at one point.

Hope beasts's weather this week is better than he fears. I see Don Bradley regards 18 as not warm enough - quite pleasant, really, Don! And as for 45kph being nearly a gale, well......

Some shopping required today. Hope your day goes well.

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Raining and blustery here.

The morning started with a workman we hired to do some garden clearance crying off due to a bad back - (yeah, right - see above!)

I'm thinking that it may be me filling the skip up at the end of the week; good exercise though. 

The plan is to level the last 12 feet of the garden and turf/gravel over. We've ordered a Serviceberry tree to act as a view blocker to the house at the end of the garden - model railway skills being transferred! Railway sleepers are being delivered later to act as mini retaining walls.  

Delighted that my daughter was awarded her 5th badge and certificate for "politeness" at school last week. The boy is a work in progress. :) 

Hope you are all well in ER-land.

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a rather grey and draughty Yorkshire.

Girls gone shopping, man of the house at work, not-god-daughter   :wub:  at  (rather posh Quaker) school, so I'm home alone.  The school wasn;t chosen on religious grounds, rather that the skirts are below the knee....

Nice to see the old Guzzi S7 being used. 16 classic bikes in the garage here at our friends, all have to go as a result of the domestic calamity.  I predict more shopping hell later.  Our trips to the UK do consist of a lot of shopping due to our proces being rather higher on Fraggle Rock, and choice much more restricted.