The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Great that Ian had a good day with 6233 - a magnificent beast indeed - and I agree that Premier Dining is a great way to add to an already great day.

Went up to Kirkby Lonsdale this morning, to discover that the town square is being converted into 1820s Cornwall for the filming of Jamaica Inn for the BBC - fascinating to watch, I must say - set is being dressed now, and filming is on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - I was told that the scenes will probably total about 20 minutes, and for that, the town is disrupted for almost two weeks!

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/10/itvs-prey-bbc-ones-jamaica-inn-add-to-casts/

Other than that, not a lot happening here, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

46233's sparkling performance is over and she slips quietly away to be replaced by ex-ATW 57313 at front and 47/8 'Diamond Jubilee' at rear. Can't get used to the clunky bump of the 'tail' playing catch-up at every braking/acceleration !

Congratulations to all at PMR Ripley....staff,volunteers,support crew, train crew,Gravy Train (sic!) catering and mostly to Sir William A.Stanier.....after all,he was Swindon trained !!

Sounds like an excellent day out Ian - glad it went well although I do wonder about the 'clunk bumop' of the tail loco, that shouldn't happen (was the operator West Coast Railways by any chance?)

As others will know, every Show is in danger from imminent catastrophe.

Yesterday, 4 entertainers crashed on a Z bend nearby.

I told them off for almost being late.

One major act (about 28 stones of him) had a 'funny turn'.

Couldn't stand up let alone perform.

Had visions of him being carried out by eight strong men.

The Show must go on so he mimed.

Told him to eat less.

etc., etc.,.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like an excellent day out Ian - glad it went well although I do wonder about the 'clunk bumop' of the tail loco, that shouldn't happen (was the operator West Coast Railways by any chance?)

Indeed it was....my only experience of top & tail so far.Pronounced only on the inbound journey when Dellner-equipped 57313 was leading & the 47/8 was on back.Odd,is it not,that 46233 adds its own support coach & completes the S & C in each direction unaided ? Yes,I do realise there ARE sound reasons for t&t.

The Show must go on.......

"One`s trodden the boards, Darlink!" :scenic:

:swoon: You`re now an adherent, a supplicant of Thespis.........a purveyor of Dionysial dithyrambs.........a thespian! :O

......filthy beast! :laugh:

Edited by Debs.

Hello all:

Before breakfast RMWeb was down and after breakfast my provider was down, so I didn't try again until now.

Having successfully logged on I first read ERs up to date.

Grate (I knew there was an 'e' somewhere in 'great') to see DD back in form.

Weather here so-so. Cloudy and cool though with some blue sky.

I'm back to wearing Winter pyjamas

Having said that, Sun has just begun to stream in through my window.

Loved Ian's desrciption of the train trip.

The last time I was behind steam was in about  1990 and the last time I had meals behind steam was was in the last days of steam being the prime mover in 1976.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Dd had some emergency plan and could have entertained the audience with renditions of West End show tunes or extracts from Hamlet to make up for any missing performers.

Aditi was asked to do a 20 minute introduction for some trainee lecturers recently and just as she started she was asked to turn it into a 2 hour presentation.

• Like 2

Sad and funny tale;

One of the very recently deceased had a lady friend (companion/adherent) who since his decease has rather lost it and been moved from her own room into "Frail Care". One of my table mates and friend who looks nothing like the said deceased except for a mop of white hair, went out for a walk. At the home gates he passed the lady, being assisted and accompanied by two nurse aids. Immediately she saw him she broke away from the nurses and ran after my friend. He retreated swiftly, followed by the lady. He couldn't find the duty Sister, so took refuge in my room. The nurses found the sister  who managed to subdue the lady, but only temporarily. Some time later she, the lost lady, was still wandering the passages looking for my friend. He eventually escaped from my room to his own(unaccompanied)!

You have to be tough to be old.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

DD. Looks like your friend could do with a bit of an incognito make-over for a bit.

Hat and shades, maybe?

Machines unfortunately seem to pack up before their time.  Our white one with black trim still looked smart.  I never guessed anything was wrong - until it cut out after 20 seconds..  New one cheaper than repair job.

So, one new popty ping now up and working in the kitchen. :yahoo:

Black with stainless steel trim.

Not sure I go for the grey interior, though.

Yes, grey - so dismal. :resent: What ever happened to mirror finish stainless steel?

I'll have to keep the door closed.  :D

Polly

• Like 2

Just to correct any misconstrusion, Ddolfelin did not build "Kidmore Magna" (Post 29/12/12) . There are no items sourced from this excellent constructor on said RM published layout. Where I have previously used his services, credit has duly been given.

Just to correct any misconstrusion, Ddolfelin did not build "Kidmore Magna" (Post 29/12/12) . There are no items sourced from this excellent constructor on said RM published layout. Where I have previously used his services, credit has duly been given.

Not sure I can search that far back, David.

What inspired that post?

Found it!

"Has anyone got hold of a copy of the December issue of Railway Modeller?

I need to see a picture of "Kidmore Magna" contained therein.
I believe I built most of that for my customer."

That certainly contains that suggestion, David.

That followed your tip to me to look in Railway Modeller for Kidmore related work.

I probably mixed up the Kidmores - for which I apologise and am suitably humbled.

• RMweb Premium

Some may agree - but I think you meant Don.

Yep, dunnit again. :sclerosis: 

I meant Don, DD. :O  Kind of you to point it out.

Must try harder.

Polly

David:

Here is an extract of your e-mail which triggered the enquiry for Railway Modeller:

"Don't know whether you take "Railway Modeller", but one of my layouts

("Kidmore Magna") is in the December issue with a picture of yours trully!"

• RMweb Premium

And indeed,thank you, all was well .46233 trailed 13 behind leaving Hellfield,now including support coach. Spent the time up the 'long drag' to Ribblehead leaning (health/safety horrors !) out the window,something I've not done in 50 years.Just looking...and listening. Photo &video opportunists seemingly behind every wall,tree,barn,sheep....flashes dancing in moorland light....wave to the Duchess everyone. Ribblehead a scene from a 'Lord of the Rings '.spectacular....crowd extras everywhere,like toy soldiers on every fold in this spectacular landscape. The weather brought a particular luminous lighting quality to it all.Into our stride we rush through Dent  & down Aisgill to the familiar quieter beauty of the Eden Valley. Our caravan park is still there! No stop at Appleby and an ontime arrival at Carlisle. Photos taken and a pot of coffee in a quaint backstreet coffee house in Carlisle. More photos...and off we go. Dinner is laid .We are fortunate in sharing our table with a charming couple from Lincoln.Important to be at ease here because you're stuck with each other's company for 14 hours...so all is very well here. Dinner is to be served after the Appleby water stop. Wine uncorked...excellent St.Emilion at a very reasonable cost. 46233 going like a well-tuned Rolls. Race off to other side of line to photo water stop at Appleby. Behold..a genuine water tower and 'crane' to fill tender. Takes only short time before loco issues warning hoot to get back on board. Climb through Kirkby Stephen and then the Aisgill climb...one slip only,quickly corrected. Interestingly scenic meal. Wine stays steady on the table. Any drop splilled is down to me.Enjoyed the terrine,beef and sticky toffee pudding. Through the tunnel.. bright Dent moorland,Ribblehead and all too soon back at Hellifield....46233's sparkling performance is over and she slips quietly away to be replaced by ex-ATW 57313 at front and 47/8 'Diamond Jubilee' at rear. Can't get used to the clunky bump of the 'tail' playing catch-up at every braking/acceleration !

Congratulations to all at PMR Ripley....staff,volunteers,support crew, train crew,Gravy Train (sic!) catering and mostly to Sir William A.Stanier.....after all,he was Swindon trained !!

Thanks for your reminiscences.  That brought back memories of our turn on The Fellsman 2012.  This year we stayed in one of the platform cottages at Kirkby Stephen and watched it go by - two of those "seemingly behind every wall,tree,barn,sheep" - station conversion in our case.

Planning another steam tour, now, for next year.  My, doesn't it get addictive.   :laugh:

And thanks to coal and steam.... :yahoo:

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  A nice day spent at Groudle, turning old paint and rust from 'Parracombe' into newly flying dust......which is now all over the carriage shed of course, at least those molecules that aren't adhering to NHN.    Too a long while to get clean this evening.  Spent an hour helping Rich fit one of the new cylinders to 'Annie' too, crumbs they're heavy.  That wasn't the word I used at the time, funnily enough.  Full size modelling has some downsides!

• Like 1

Larne Lough over. :( No more 186. Probably ever.

This was the RPSIs first outing to Larne for the first time since 2006.

At Carrick'.

IÉ 231, "Abhainn na Maighe/River Maigue," arrived at Central seconds after 186.

Departing Central for the last time. :( All good things come to an end, eh?

Lo and behold, 134 years of mainline service (minus a few gaps) gone. Hopefully it won't remain in the same state as it's only surviving classmate, 184... Although the chances of it returning to service would be weakened if it were to be a static exhibit...

Ah well, at least we have the rest of the stuff, like 131, 171, and the rest in line for overhaul. :)

Then again, rumours are spreading that 186 will haul the, "across the tracks," railtour next week. I'm not sure that's a good thing, as I was looking forward to seeing 112 and 461 both hauling it.

Edited by Jawfin
  • Like 7