The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Thoughts with DD

Very dull, dreary and wet morning down here, it's still raining now. Forecast to rain all weekend too so it looks like a quiet one involving war gaming and video rendering is in order, I was hoping to get out photographing but, never mind.

Have a good day all.

Barry, much as I'd like to I can't really shred the in-tray as the Courts may take issue with me....I really don't want to get locked up for contempt!

I used to work with a senior HR manager in the NHS who had a cross-desk system.  New work entered on the left and as the pile grew she moved them across her desk, one A4 size (Paper, not Gresley) at a time. When it reached the right hand side, if it hadn't been dealt with, it went in the bin.  Her reckoning was if it was important, they would contact her again, and if not, it was remaining binned!  It seemed to work for her, but as she was certainly 'a force to be reckoned with' perhaps folk were scared to chase her for things!

I used to deal with the stuff that I thought important immediately, and then bin the rest using the same logic as Neil's example. This system worked OK for me for over 20 years.

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can't do it in this job though, every stage is logged, audited, signed for and.....er... and I'm the person responsible for that!!! :scared:

Nice and sunny here still but it's reet windy.  The office is like the Marie Celeste - either I need to change my deoderant, or they're very busy seeing what we laughably call 'clients', or....it's poets day.

• RMweb Gold

Back from shopping and then walking in the rain with Robbie. I seem to have one of the few all-weather dogs so we had the park to ourselves, no joggers, picnickers, or families exercising their offspring today.

Tesco seemed quite busy. I treated myself to a copy of Railway Modeller as it had a red engine on the cover.

I spent some time yesterday when I wasn't being creative with styrofoam and a hammer trying to find out how the doors on station buildings in the BR LM Region in the 1960s were painted (yes, I'm sure a brush was involved!). I know the shade of red but it took ages to find a colour image of a door that wasn't on rolling stock or a signal box. I wanted to know if the whole door was red or if any panels were cream. I can't remember as  when I used to live in the Midlands we only seemed to go on former Great Western routes and even when I went to Scotland we went from Snow Hill as New St was being rebuilt.

• RMweb Gold

That she was.

Not the funeral I would have chosen for her.

Still going on as far as I know.

Very sombre.

Trust you are ok after it all DD?  

Over the years I seem to have attended rather a lot of funerals as at one time (maybe still) we always attended the funeral of any of our staff if they died while still employed or very recently retired.  Of all the various ones I attended it seemed the West Indians were generally the best at giving their loved ones and friends a really good send off with stupendous singing at the graveside, verbal tributes from anyone who cared to make one, and after whoever wished to threw some flowers onto the coffin the male attendees set to and back filled the grave.  All of which seemed very touching and a proper celebration of the life of the deceased.  And that, in my view, is what a funeral should be - a celebration of the life of the departed, all about the good points of their life and remembering those highs. 

• RMweb Gold

Tonight, we are planning on mostly eating Paella with mussels ...........prompted by finding 1Kg of beautifully-fresh, Shetland mussels for 50p. at the local fishmonger.

I`m not much for the celebrity/Tv. cooking shows; but this "Hairy Bikers" recipe looks lovely. :good:

What`er your evening holds in store; enjoy! :friends:

We have a few of the Hairy Biker books, not the diet one though, the ones with pies.

I thought the dentist was only going to look at my broken tooth today so delayed lunch. At the surgery he said he could fill it today so I think it may be best to not eat anything on that side. It was a big filling. At least I'm not numb as he didn't offer a pain killing injection! 

Over the years I seem to have attended rather a lot of funerals as at one time (maybe still) we always attended the funeral of any of our staff if they died while still employed or very recently retired.  Of all the various ones I attended it seemed the West Indians were generally the best at giving their loved ones and friends a really good send off with stupendous singing at the graveside, verbal tributes from anyone who cared to make one, and after whoever wished to threw some flowers onto the coffin the male attendees set to and back filled the grave.  All of which seemed very touching and a proper celebration of the life of the deceased.  And that, in my view, is what a funeral should be - a celebration of the life of the departed, all about the good points of their life and remembering those highs. 

Fine, thanks Mike.

Got out while the going was good.

Everywhere she went she created laughter and affection.

Not doom and gloom.

Sure enough someone mentioned God's mysterious ways and swmbo saved him from a slap.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The bizarreness known as Leeds buses..

an empty bus has just gone past the window..normally known as a NIS (Not In Service) ... was on its way to Guide Dogs... come back the old roller blind list.

• RMweb Premium

That she was.

Not the funeral I would have chosen for her.

Still going on as far as I know.

Very sombre.

As per The Station Master - in the North East a funeral was always seen as being something to take in a positive way. The service used to include a review of achievements then it was off to the local Hall for a wake.. again something involving a celebration of achievements.  

And all of my family to date have had such a funeral. I hope the rest of your day passes quietly

• Like 2

........And that, in my view, is what a funeral should be - a celebration of the life of the departed, all about the good points of their life and remembering those highs.

Totally agree! It can be harder to "celebrate" the departure of a younger person like Lynnie but it sounds like she made a bigger impression on those who knew her than many of us could hope to do in a long lifetime.

Too much doom and gloom at funerals serves no purpose other than to allow certain people to indulge in wallowing in their grief.

Everyone on ER's is here for you, DD.

It's a comfortable feeling that I took that for granted, Ashers.

These gloom merchants forgot the next part of the sentence.

"God moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform"

This wasn't a wonder - it was a tragedy.

• RMweb Gold

Having been through that mill not much more than a year ago, as you all know, I'm with DD, Mike et al. The departed is a loss to those who knew them - be they gone at 8, 18 or 80 - but life must go on, and celebration is exactly how we should view the day. The joy of having known them, of having gained from that good fortune, all that stuff. The eulogy should be upbeat, emphasising their achievements, their qualities, their contributions to life. Leave the sombre stuff to our inner thoughts. I hope I offend no-one when I say that the Believers' wish to make things solemn when their beliefs suggest the deceased has gone to A Better Place doesn't make much sense to me. Sorry.

• RMweb Gold

When a dear friend died I didn't go to her funeral but went on one of our favourite walks instead. I might have offended some people but it just felt right for me.

I got the feeling that she agreed too.

• Like 8

I've donated what's left of me for research.

Expect they'll want to put my head on display, he says modestly.

Probably hold a raffle.

Eaten by worms or bits re-cycled? Tough choice.

Anything above the waist is up for grabs, lads.

Below the waist - there is a queue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's right. A couple of years ago when we gave one of our offspring a large sum to help fund a house purchase, I was infuriated by her solicitor demanding we visit him in person to verify our ID! This was at a time when our own conveyancing solicitor (we were also moving house) had happily accepted scanned copies of our passports. By referring the matter to a senior partner, we avoided the 60mile round trip that a visit to the office would have entailed.

He also required copies of our bank statements, even though this money had come from savings. Crazy rules!

Just picked this up...yes..it IS due to concerns re: money laundering. Last year the same situation occurred with us. Payment of a solicitor's bill ( for offspring ) made online had to be preceded by photocopy of MY passport sent via post (registered & insured ). Copies of bank statements ? God..lawyers make their own rules and have no concern for your security.

• RMweb Gold

I've donated what's left of me for research.

Expect they'll want to put my head on display, he says modestly.

Probably hold a raffle.

Eaten by worms or bits re-cycled? Tough choice.

Anything above the waist is up for grabs, lads.

Below the waist - there is a queue.

I'm just wondering how Debs is going to comment on that post ..... tehehe