The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Enjoyed visiting the Manchester MRS yesterday.....chin-wagged and ogled-craftsmanship to exhaustion, stocked up on 'bits-n-bobs'.

Affaire du jour: "Building Model Locomotives" (Roche/Templer: Ian Allen Press) for just £1.......happy I am! :boast:

Eldest Collie (14 yrs.) has a bout acute tummy troubles "trottage", so we`re staying home today so she can be Collie-modelled. :tender:

Hope the colliewobbles are soon overcome  :angel:

• RMweb Gold

On the few occasions Robbie has had "tummy troubles" he has been put on a diet of white fish and rice. He likes this so much he is reluctant to go back to his normal food and has to have some rice piled on to get him to eat it at first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I've not posted to ERs from anywhere in the least exotic although I have read it in the middle of the Bristol Channel, in fact I've probably never been anywhere really exotic unless you count the highest pub in Ireland and the most southerly pub in (West) Germany and a night club in somewhere else in Germany, oh and i have walked through about 1 km of the Channel Tunnel service tunnel.

Anyway back to normal and I'm told 'garden' is today's agenda - however the grass is far too wet to cut unless it manages to dry out considerably so I think it might be a day of geotex and sand laying in the front garden for me unless I'm required to cut down something.

Have a good day folks and trusting the collie-wobbles will be greatly improved by being collie-cuddled.

On the few occasions Robbie has had "tummy troubles" he has been put on a diet of white fish and rice.

Thankyou Tony, I have some Pollock 'trim' in the freezer, so will steam it with some soft-rice for her supper.

The poor love must have tummy cramps; I can her her stomach from 12 feet away!

Morning all, miserable day here (damp, drizzly, grey and chilly). Bacon and leek pudding is steaming nicely, I've bottled the home-made nectarine brandy and have just finished part III of my witterings about Schotty (cute photo to follow text). Enjoy, (I hope).

Schotty – The Real Story:

PART III

Hidalgo's body language was the very picture of misery; his body hunched, his tail held tucked between his rear legs and his ears flattened back on his skull... Hidalgo sat back on his haunches and started howling: Stanley, the elderly Beagle, had died during the night and now the humans were cremating his body.

Stanley, by no means a “top-dog”, was a real Diamond Geezer. Everyone's mate and nobody's patsy: reliable, solid, trustworthy Stanley. He may have not cornered the snout market like Alsatian Rex, or inspired fear like Lucky The Labrador, but Stanley was rich in respect. Even dogs like “Mad Frankie”, the South African Boerboel who laid into anything on two legs or four, had respect for Stanley...

Hidalgo continued his howl and one-by-one, all the other dogs in the tierheim joined in. And for one memorable minute the entire inmate population was united in respect for their “diamond geezer”. As the howling died down, Hidalgo recalled one of the last talks he had with Stanley before Stanley was taken to the intensive care station...

You got a great chance with this iL Dottore bloke, son, don't blow it” said Stanley. He went on; “I know what you're planning, boy, you get nice, you get out and you then get 'lost'” Stanley coughed and continued “don't even begin to think about it. I've heard of this iL Dottore, you really - and I mean really - don't want to mess him around...

What? 'hard” is he?” Hidalgo scoffed “'hard' doesn't frighten me

Stanley coughed and wheezed on; “no, he's not 'hard', he's worse than 'hard', he's...

Oh, yeah”, Hidalgo broke in “he's worse than 'hard', right”. Hidalgo snickered.

Shut your gob for once and listen”, Stanley snapped angrily, “there are things worse than 'hard', he's a medical research scientist...

So?” Hidalgo wuffed.

So? So?” Stanley shook his head in amazement, “you just don't get it, do you? If he, as a senior medical research scientist, decides that your euthanasia serves the public good, he'll order the procedure without even blinking and you're a dead dog walking. And not one human will say otherwise. Why else do you think that Lucky The Labrador never expanded into Switzerland?”

Oh sh1t” Hidalgo moaned “what have I got myself into.... that Mrs iD lady said that failure is not an option and now I know why”, Hidalgo shivered and whined, “I'm a dead dog, I'm toast”.

Stanley coughed and wheezedly eased himself into a more comfortable position. “Nah, you're not toast son, at least not yet - if you do it right. Listen to me, do what I say and you'll be OK

What do you mean Stan?” asked Hidalgo

You go into this whole heartedly”, barked Stanley “keep to the straight and narrow and become il Dottore's faithful companion and not only won't you be toast, you'll have a life most dogs can only dream of

OK” said Hidalgo “I can do that, easy. But why are you telling me this? How do you know what will happen?

Stanley's eyes teared up. “Many, many years ago when I was a young dog, full of myself, iL Dottore visited the kennels, he wanted to take me with him, give me a home, but like the idiot I was, I bit his hand as he tried to feed me...” Hidalgo stared, amazed, good old Stanley biting the hand that fed him! “What happened next?” asked Hidalgo. “Nothing”, replied Stanley with a lump in his throat “he just moved on to the next cage and took my best mate, Harry, instead”. Stanley gave a heavy sigh, “Harry kept in touch through the evening howl, did very alright for himself did Harry....” Stanley shook himself, coughed and then stared Hidalgo in the eyes. “You get yourself sorted with iL Dottore, stay with him, be a good dog to him, don't be an idiot like me...” Stanley turned and retreated to the corner of the room where he curled up tight and said no more.

Saturday morning dawned cold, clear and sunny. This is it”, thought Hidalgo, “judgement day”. He knew he could be a good dog, no - a great dog, if he could grab the chance, pass the audition and be welcomed by iL Dottore.

TO BE CONTINUED

post-123-0-68902900-1381054868.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sorry I've been absent for a while, due to other pressures - 'nuff said.

Also not caught up on all the action here, as there's about 20 or more pages to read from the last time I looked.

Had a grand day out last Saturday when I went to Chester behind Glaltea, a loco I've not seen since long ago - and she was on cracking form, making up about 20 minutes of a 47 minute loss on the outward journey, after a long signal stop at Clitheroe followed by a very slow climb up Wilpshire bank due to following the service train which was a block in front.  On the return, we were hammering along and were early at almost every main timing point, and 11 early then held 16 minutes at Lostock Hall.  We were still early at Hellifield, then were held for time after the water stop, and still got to Carnforth 8 early.  Great running, and exemplary driving from the WCRC drivers, and with 45699 souding like a sewing machine - one of the marks of a well balanced 3 cylinder loco being that you can't hear that it is a 3 cylinder - the beat was so even.

Anyhows, I'll try not to keep it so long next time.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou Tony, I have some Pollock 'trim' in the freezer, so will steam it with some soft-rice for her supper.

The poor love must have tummy cramps; I can her her stomach from 12 feet away!

I just gave the fish a quick blast in the microwave! Aditi did however tell me that she had made a fish pie for her mother with some of that nice white fish in the freezer. I said it should be OK as it was what was left over from when Robbie was ill.

Tony

...Eldest Collie (14 yrs.) has a bout acute tummy troubles "trottage", so we`re staying home today so she can be Collie-modelled. :tender:

Poor lass. I hope she recovers both well and quickly. I must confess the idea of taking care of a sick dog quite worries me, will I do right? Will I get it right? All I can do is observe and hope I can properly brief the Vet.

Anyway, enough gloom and doom, I'm sure your Collie will enjoy being "Collie modelled" and being treated like a Princess, despite the tummy troubles.

Good news tomorrow, I hope.

iD

• RMweb Gold

Poor lass. I hope she recovers both well and quickly. I must confess the idea of taking care of a sick dog quite worries me, will I do right? Will I get it right? All I can do is observe and hope I can properly brief the Vet.

Apart from the emergency op last year and the sock eating induced abdominal "looseness" Robbie has been very healthy. However he has had a couple of events needing a visit to the vet. Probably as a result of eating something nasty he has found in the undergrowth. Vets seem more concerned with vomit than diarrhoea as dogs can quickly dehydrate. Everything happens so much more quickly with canines, they seem to go from bouncy health to looking unwell quite quickly. 

• RMweb Premium

The sad saga continues it is no wonder a lot of people die in hospital at weekends. She can't have an infection because her blood and urine tests say so, sadly she hasn't had any tests to have results from? I would have done better taking her to the vets.

Oh Mick!.........Please know that you and she are (surely) in all our thoughts.

Don`t be frightened to "make a fuss" and make clearly-known your concerns to medics, nursing-care staff and clinical-management.......in this modern world it seems that it`s often a case of; "them that shouts loudest......" (and all that!). :yes:

....and the clod? :mosking:

Seems to be retreating, thanks! Probably scared off by my indignation at the intrusive body search at Gatwick (for the second time this year) when my resurfaced hip set off the security alarms. When I complained, asking a customer service guy how he'd like to be grabbed between the legs, he said that wouldn't happen as it would be an assault. Apparently having my breasts prodded is not! When I pointed out that only my GP or husband were permitted to touch, he said that was too much information!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have made some progress on the latest layout this afternoon. The 180cm gap in the baseboards was bridged and track fixed down. Coaches were pushed round in best Brio style. The BR Mark 1 models didn't hit anything but some Airfix GWR Centenary stock I got down from the loft clouted the platform foundation edge so a little carving (of the platform not the coaches) took place.  I'll wire it up tomorrow. Shouldn't take too long as DCC only needs a couple of wires :jester:

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ashers,

Do you tell them prior to going through the scanner you are probably going to set it off?

Having shown one young lady with the metal detector my 'war wound', she said: 'Waugh!' and sent me on my way.

If you have to pat down somebody, it should be done firmly and promptly.  Not the soft and lingering  caress that some of these 'sekuritee' people think is correct, but is in fact probably perverted.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I have made some progress on the latest layout this afternoon. The 180cm gap in the baseboards was bridged and track fixed down. Coaches were pushed round in best Brio style. The BR Mark 1 models didn't hit anything but some Airfix GWR Centenary stock I got down from the loft clouted the platform foundation edge so a little carving (of the platform not the coaches) took place.  I'll wire it up tomorrow. Shouldn't take too long as DCC only needs a couple of wires :jester:

Tony

Tony,

Were you not aware that the GWR Centenary stock had a very limited route availability as they were wider than the average passenger coach of the time :angel: 

Regards

Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Were you not aware that the GWR Centenary stock had a very limited route availability as they were wider than the average passenger coach of the time :angel:

Regards

Richard.

Yes that was why I retrieved them from the loft. I thought if they missed the platform edge most other stock would! Can anyone think of any other OO model that has such a larger width at platform level? The curve leading up to the platform edge is 42" radius and the Centenary coaches steps just clipped the woodwork although they were fine on the straight. I've got to allow a bit extra as I need to clad the platform edges with some brick effect product.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ashers,

Do you tell them prior to going through the scanner you are probably going to set it off?

Having shown one young lady with the metal detector my 'war wound', she said: 'Waugh!' and sent me on my way.

If you have to pat down somebody, it should be done firmly and promptly.  Not the soft and lingering  caress that some of these 'sekuritee' people think is correct, but is in fact probably perverted.

Regards

Richard

Ah indeed - I think I re-iterated the tale of being asked to hop through the scanner two days post-op......words fail me.

Good morning people by the way...ahem.  A good day at Groudle was had, even took some photos which I may manage to post tomorrow of developments.  It rained, of course.

• Like 1