The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Fennecs are rather cute too, Mick...

Two hours since I first read Dd's post and I still don't understand it! Either I'm being dim this morning or Dd's gone mad from trying to see tiny details on N gauge...

They may be but I haven't been stood next to one,Fennecs I seem to remember as an example of animal adaption to their enviroment.

Sorry, Mike.

Just commenting on the deserted nature of ERs when I posted.

Marie Celeste sprang to mind. (I think it was 'Mary' in reality).

However, you are right in that N scale is driving me nuts.

There you go. Proves it. I was being dim. :D

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Recovery day today after entertaining the masses at the MHR's Thomas event. I do feel somewhat guilty as although it's still the railway's biggest money spinner I don't like it much so, despite having today and tomorrow off work, have not volunteered for any more turns. I drew the short straw in having to prep 850 'Lord Nelson', that thing takes pretty much a full hour to oil up properly and you have to squeeze right up inside the motion. I can see how people used to get killed doing this, any movement of the loco and you wouldn't stand a chance. Still, nice early finish and of course one feels duty bound to check that all the young mums are up to scratch....

I also got signed off on the new colour light signalling at the Alton end of the railway. In all the time I've been there it's been run on the 'one engine in steam' principle which has severely limited the operating potential of that end of the railway. Now it has all sorts of weird and wonderful possibilities which we will have to get used to. I do applaud both the railway for financing it and the volunteers of the S&T department who designed and built it. It was commissioned by Atkins as a training exercise and passed with flying colours. Next thing now will be, after a settling in period with Alton signal box manned, a switch to fully automatic operation so it can be run unmanned. That should be fun as there will be scope to cock things up (such as stopping in the wrong place on the track circuiting) and bring the whole railway to a grinding halt. It's bound to happen....

• RMweb Gold

There you go. Proves it. I was being dim. biggrin.gif

Don't worry Mike. I went back through the posts looking for Marie's post.

Then I read the second line.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright in these parts. Expected to go out and do something today according to SWMBO. Not quite sure what the something is but it will mpact the modelling time that's for sure.

... Still, nice early finish and of course one feels duty bound to check that all the young mums are up to scratch....

Poop, poop said Thomas. Though with only half boiler pressure he couldn't pull anything let alone troublsome trucks.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately, the 17 year old lad died as a result of his injuries. He was the fireman and had been carrying out checks underneath the locomotive when he was run down by another locomotive on the neighbouring line. They airlifted him to hospital, but he didn't make it.

Yes, I just read this, too :( .

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Nice day here so far.

Until Matthew started infant school we used to go to the Thomas events at Mangapps Farm. The big advantage of attending on those days was that everything that could move did, so there were lots of rides.

I may do the gardening today I didn't do (ie any of it) yesterday. I'll start by mowing the lawns. I'll move the cars well away from the front lawn. I once had a side window break when a stone thrown out by the mower hit it. The lawn is covered in pebbles as the concrete that crosses the tarmac pavement is breaking up (winter damage). Apparently the County Council will repair it.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

He has taken me out twice. One shortish walk when he first arrived and one long walk this afternoon.

It's not the first time he has stayed John so he already knows which cupboard the biscuits are in .

Morning All,

It is another nice morning here. Thankfully not as cold as it was yesterday morning.

I seem to have come down with a cold/ virus sort of a thing - so it's light duties for the next couple of days.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Looks like a calm morning up here. Weather appears to be nice, too :) .

Next month there'll be a reunion of my old grammar school class on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of our graduation. Gee, am I really that old yet? :unsure:

Took me a while to work that one out DD.....smile.gif

Had some new dressings applied yesterday, complete with a white cotton glove. Looking like a cross between Michael Jackson and a snooker referee...

Not to mention the surgical glove to use in the shower. Second thoughts I could be a gynaecologist...icon_winker.gif

Is it a snooker referee or umpire? ;)

Morning all. We do seem a bit thin on the ground with Don on holiday. Only 2.5 working days to the weekend, thank goodness. We've got an accommodation move on Friday, we're moving a hundred yards along the corridor so everything has to be packed away into tea crates by Friday midday. We've barely started yet!

The building I work in has the longest straight corridor in Europe, or so I've heard. The building's almost exactly the same length as the Titanic.

• RMweb Gold

... so everything has to be packed away into tea crates by Friday midday. We've barely started yet!

The building I work in has the longest straight corridor in Europe, or so I've heard. The building's almost exactly the same length as the Titanic.

Look out for icebergs during the move.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Too many oktas for my liking. Errands all run by 9:30 including a trip out to get some brass screws and MDF sheets. No excuse but to get on with some modelling work as the staff are out all day!

Cheers

Dave