The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good afternoon. Back from our annual schlep to the dealership for the Landy's service and MoT. With new tyres yesterday that's £850 less to keep under the mattress. Tony, never ever lose one of your Freelander keys. The chipped key is about £75 as is the remote fob. Another £16 to program the fob and a further £65 to reset all the keys and immobiliser. Ouch. I paid $3.00 to get a replacement key cut for our old Tercel, last time I needed a new car key.

Managed to further deplete the mattress with a side visit to Invicta Models. Great little shop and well worth a visit if you're in the area. Not much North American stock left at the moment though. :sungum:  

I had planned on making a start on the back garden path today but I don't fancy wrestling with SWMBO's triffid like courgettes. I'm also feeling lazy. There, I've said it!! I'll probably wait now until after they've been harvested and cut down. Most likely I'll just spend the afternoon on the patio with 1 or 2 or 12 or so beverages of the fermented grain variety.

• Like 5

Safely on board the Mont St Michel (Brittany Ferries) having survived being searched at Customs. Slightly dodgy when O/H couldn't recall how to release bonnet catch but no doubt they see any no of Baby Boomer Francophiles!

Enjoying a long, cool Cidre de Normandie in the bar before heading for a siesta in our cabin. And pleased the Wifi is working!

Hope everyone us enjoying the w/e.

• Like 10

Afternoon all, late on parade again as I have just got up after working a night shift. My old boss asked me to go in because there was work being done on the uni water supply and it was shut down and drained off. My task was simply to answer questions regarding what was happening and direct students to the place they could pick up free bottles of water for drinking purposes. There is always the handful of fools who turn on a tap and finding no water coming out leave it open. That usually leads to frantic calls from the student in the room below because water is coming through the ceiling after the supply is put back on. Fortunately I had none last night, a first for me. I did get one chap knocking on my door saying the water had gone off in his room. 

"The water main has been shut down for maintenance, you were emailed about it".

"But it is off in my room".

"I know, it's off everywhere until the morning".

"I need water now".

"You can get a bottle from Security, that will enable you to have a drink until it comes back on".

"I need a shower".

"There is only enough water for drinking, you will have to wait until morning for the supply to come back on".

"Do you not have any water?"

"No, there is no mains water". 

Pause for thought and then, "You too huh?.

I could go on. At least it helps pass the night. Enjoy your days all.

Afternoon all, late on parade again as I have just got up after working a night shift. My old boss asked me to go in because there was work being done on the uni water supply and it was shut down and drained off. My task was simply to answer questions regarding what was happening and direct students to the place they could pick up free bottles of water for drinking purposes. There is always the handful of fools who turn on a tap and finding no water coming out leave it open. That usually leads to frantic calls from the student in the room below because water is coming through the ceiling after the supply is put back on. Fortunately I had none last night, a first for me. I did get one chap knocking on my door saying the water had gone off in his room. 

"The water main has been shut down for maintenance, you were emailed about it".

"But it is off in my room".

"I know, it's off everywhere until the morning".

"I need water now".

"You can get a bottle from Security, that will enable you to have a drink until it comes back on".

"I need a shower".

"There is only enough water for drinking, you will have to wait until morning for the supply to come back on".

"Do you not have any water?"

"No, there is no mains water". 

Pause for thought and then, "You too huh?.

I could go on. At least it helps pass the night. Enjoy your days all.

And these are University students???

Safely on board the Mont St Michel (Brittany Ferries) having survived being searched at Customs. Slightly dodgy when O/H couldn't recall how to release bonnet catch but no doubt they see any no of Baby Boomer Francophiles!

Enjoying a long, cool Cidre de Normandie in the bar before heading for a siesta in our cabin. And pleased the Wifi is working!

Hope everyone us enjoying the w/e.

Bon voyage et vacances!

• Like 1

We've got an unusual weather-related condition on the house this morning. There's been heavy rain over the last few days, after more than a month without any rain. With the weather still being quite warm, the humidity is very high. We have heavy condensation on the north-facing windows - on the outside! They are very efficient double glazing, and the outside pane is apparently cool enough (no heat being transmitted from inside the house) to cause moisture to condense on it overnight.

We first saw this a few weeks after the windows were installed. Of course, the immediate thought was 'Oh no - a seal gone already!'. As it turns out, it's probably a good sign. 

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Running a bit late as I think the meal we have just finished eating was lunch. Not too much eaten though as we are going out for a meal tonight. We were in France last week when Matthew had his 21st and said we would go out for a meal tonight. He did say we needed worry about missing his birthday and there was no need so Aditi said we could celebrate my birthday early and would he like to go to the Japanese restaurant in Westcliff?  As he had developed a taste for Japanese cuisine while in Canada this seemed to do the trick.

Andrew, my Freelander doesn't really have a key, just a fob that has to be inserted in a motorised slot in the dashboard. There is key secreted in the fob that works a hidden lock (lever off passenger door handle to reveal) in case I suppose the (rechargeable) battery in the fob has been discharged. I know a replacement is about £120 as the dealer had lost one and had to provide me with a second.

Sherry. Aditi and I always seemed to be the ones pulled over on the Brittany Ferries crossings on the return to England direction. Same thing happened on the old hovercraft crossing. Probably we look more trustworthy now.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I don't know of any UK university that offers a course in Common Sense.

Matthew has been working in admissions this summer at a college that has FE and HE courses. I get the impression he isn't dealing with the A and A* end of the ability range. There are people however who are really bright, well qualified and only want to sign up for English lessons. They are quite easy to deal with. Matthew reckons he will have a working knowledge of Portuguese soon. Matthew was concerned about how people were going to respond to the sexual orientation and religion question but hat hasn't been a problem. The one that causes most bother is employed, unemployed, benefits status. This affects fees but seems to create a lot of suspicion.

A year ago I couldn't imagine that he would have coped with this kind of work. Going to Canada seems to have removed any shyness from his character. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Lots of new and challenging things for me over the last few weeks and  months....  :O :boast: :crazy:   so here 's a bit of normality [?] .

Today, we went shopping to buy some 4mm track and spent the rest of the afternoon watching trains at Betws-y-Coed.  :D

So, for your entertainment, here's what we saw.

These two taken through a carriage window over lunch.

post-14049-0-32571100-1377968768.jpg

Arriva Wales and Gwydir Castle.

Notice the station nameboard hides a good deal of the little engine. [Poop]

post-14049-0-22146800-1377968790.jpg

And, here, the signal post cuts the engine in two. [Poop. Poop.]

OK. Let's try outside. Er....ah....well...you may notice I had difficulties out in the sun, too.

But for all you who like American steam:

post-14049-0-51508200-1377968857.jpg

Denver & Rio Grande

post-14049-0-92471300-1377968873.jpg

post-14049-0-01054200-1377968885.jpg

post-14049-0-89211100-1377969320.jpg

Gwydir Castle disappearing in the opposite direction

Hints are coming that it's tea time....

Back soon.

Polly

Edit

Bzzzzzzzzzz. Repetition - "of new"

Removed.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Well the 'big' shed is now looking much sprucer (although the shade of wood treatment is actually called 'Holly') and operation garden tidy-up has also advanced  quite a bit.  It really is a bit like tidying up before your cleaner arrives at your house only with us it is a garden tidy up before the landscaping man arrives.  The shed re=treatment was not ony needed but had to be done because of re-locating various 'stuff' to its vicinity.  Next stage is moving a stack of slipper bricks ... groan.

I don't know if anyone else has tried this.

It's half worked.

We're getting tomatoes off the tree but the parent runner bean is still producing beans too.

I suppose we can't call it a Tomato Tree until it produces just tomatoes.

post-7041-0-24734700-1377976778_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Well, DD, if you look at the catalogues, bilingual plants are all the rage these days.

Beans and Tomatoes?  I wonder if it'll catch on?

Polly

Edit.  Superb gardening by the way, DD. :sungum:

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

A nice relaxing day, photographed a special at my local station top and tailed by a 47 and 2 X 37s, then headed to the Norwich area to get it again along with the "short set" - a loco + DVT + 2 coaches + loco substituting for a 156 then to Attleborough to get Jills engagement ring (my mums) which fitted perfectly and looks fantastic, then home for a brew before going out for the return special again.

Have a pleasant evening all, the nights are noticably drawing in.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

PS Beast - Scots Guardsman is well lost - do I spot the Scarborough Spa headboard on its smoke box???

Hi Barry - spot on. Sadly (for the steam fans) it was only in light steam, providing brake control but no power, the 47 was doing all the work, on one of the runs I photographed they put some coal on the fire to at least produce some decent smoke but without any real noise the illusion was lost.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Beans and Tomatoes?  I wonder if it'll catch on?"

Don't Heinz put their beans in tomato sauce?

And they also sell 'em with mini-sausages in the tin. Any chance of growing them, too? The sky's obviously the limit here.

• Like 3