The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall being expected at school to read some of the "angry young men's" novels. I can't say I liked them or the films. I don't like things like soaps now that pretend to show life as it is either. 

Did any angry young men or kitchen sink dramas ever do really well in the US?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Did any angry young men or kitchen sink dramas ever do really well in the US?

I get the impression that successful US series, even if they're not drama, are still required to depict the American Dream, with comfortable lifestyles in nice houses. Blue-collar successes, like Roseanne, have been less frequent, I think.

• RMweb Gold

Wheel and tyre sizes have changed so much in 40 years.

I think it's a sales ploy, Ian. Take a loss in the tyres initially, but ........

Scene 1: Saleroom (Sunday afternoon)

"Don't those alloys look nice, and those tyres look really fast, don't they".

"Yes, and they come as standard"

Scene 2: KwikTyre. (not that) much later

"How much did you say?"

• RMweb Gold

At least with the Land Rover tyres I feel as If I am getting a large lump of rubber for my money. I didn't like the idea of possibly having to travel any distance for a puncture repair using the space saver wheel so I got an alloy and proper tyre. The car's spare wheel storage is big enough for the full size wheel and an alloy full size doesn't seem any heavier than the steel "spacesaver"

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm slightly troubled by the same thing, Tony.

I've never had to use a 'space saver' spare so I suppose I'll have to read up on it.

Hopefully before I do need it.

They are better than the alternative aerosol sealant/inflater beloved of modern car manufacturers. I have experienced two tyre shreddings that would have defeated any aerosol. I now have a full size spare in the car and a spacesaver taking up space in the garage.

Though none of the car tyre experiences were as much "fun" as the rear tyre of my motorbike exploding on the Southend Arterial many years ago.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I've just done the 'coffee over the keyboard' thing.

After years of not letting drinks anywhere near the computer, I had a mouthful of coffee which went down the wrong way - and immediately over the keyboard.

It still seems to be working! If it is your Mac it probably has drainage holes to divert latte into a special holding tank.

• RMweb Gold

I've never had to use a 'space saver' spare so I suppose I'll have to read up on it.

I had the misfortune a few weeks ago to use one for the first time ever , thankfully I was only a few miles from home and limped to my local garage to get the original repaired. Driving the car felt ok at 30 but  just glad I was not on a motorway as that speed is not practical!

• RMweb Gold

I drove from Gatwick to Norfolk on a bank holiday round the M25 M11 A11 with my space saver on the back. The journey was surprisingly relaxing being forced not to exceed 50, although some of the vehicles coming up behind you are closing at quite a rate :stinker:    It was dry though, not sure how I would feel in the wet on winding roads.

• RMweb Gold

Am I the only one to notice that Beast hasn't been back since he posted this?

You will all be pleased / not pleased / angry / delighted to know I'm alive and well and Jill didn't finish me off. I also got the drag, and she knew.

I've been on holiday with my son for a few days and spent the day at Lowestoft today with Jill and the kids, which included me swimming in the sea ! - "Call me Ishmael"

Here's a couple of photos from the 5000 or so I took.

(Scots Guardsman)

post-6662-0-09360000-1377892258.jpg

I prefer

(66749)

post-6662-0-03617000-1377892280.jpg

Happy belated birthday to Don.

Enjoy the rest of the night all, normal service / moaning / etc. will resume tomorrow.

• Like 13

I'm poorly qualified to talk about films, but before they were films, they were unsurprisingly books, Pete. And a key one that you haven't mentioned was "Room at the Top". I think author John Braine, like Alan Sillitoe (Saturday Night & Sunday Morning), was one of a cadre of "angry young men" who were perceived to re-kindle the fire in English writing in the late '50s, reflecting life as it was, and not necessarily middle-class in values. Perhaps "Up the Junction" and "Alfie" followed on a year or two later in the same vein.

Well I'm surprised that you did not mention "Look back in Ongar" (sic) but my point was some of them like Brane and Osborne were stultifyingly claustrophobic. The films I mentioned were often filmed on location outside and captured an England now long gone.

"Up the Junction" was comparatively later and concentrated on specific social issues (I found it rather tedious and "do-goody").

Can I also just add the name of: Rita Tushingham - just the mention of it brings back the sixties to my mind! She still with us? Not my taste in women I hasten to add - I always thought she looked like Ray Davies...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

[quote name="trisonic" post="1143477" timestamp=

In case you are wondering why I should still be up and asking such weird questions - I have an acute ear/ sinus infection which is extremely painful - I can't sleep or even lay down!

Best, Pete.

You have my sympathy. I suffered with sinus problems for years - had them drained once. Anti biotics and steam inhalants had little effect so in desperation I visited a Health Food Shop. They gave me some foul medicine & recommended taking Kyolic Garlic daily. Within days I was better and I've never had sinus problems since.

Hope you soon feel better.

• Like 2

Hi Pete, I hope the sinus/ear infection has cleared.
Talking tyre changes, I managed to change wheels on my Austin 10, Fiat600, Renaults 11, 12 & Alconi but not on subsequent bigger cars including the BSW (Bloody Scout Wagon, actually a Chrysler Valiant Station Wagon)
In last years there always seemed to be black gentleman in the vicinity who was VERY willing to perform the operation in exchange for a crisp piece of paper.
Never had a disc saver.

Weather remains cold and wet! The 90 year old's family from 3 continents have had nothing but rail during their stay here. He hosted a b/d party at the home yesterday. 30 residents and his 9 visiting family members attended including the newest, 10 month old Michael who was not the least fazed by a crowd of strange wrinklies who all wanted to make a fuss of him.

BoD, I'm thinking of you today at  Railex

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

BoD, I'm thinking of you today at  Railex

I went last Sunday Don.

It was very enjoyable with some excellent layouts, good trade and very nice Danish pastries.

Didn't we have a discussion on here some time ago about different people's understanding of this/last/next week/weekend?

Wall to wall blue skies here again this morning.

This is getting boring.

Most of those who buit Arks last year have started dismantling them.

The song "Oh he's football crazy, he's football mad ......" has just come on the radio. It's years since I have heard that and memories of junior school have just come flooding back. Once a week, the whole school sitting crossed legged in the hall, one crackly speaker and everyone 'Singing Together' .

• Like 3

There was an advertisement on the Welsh weather forecast which made me chuckle.

It was for the Rhyl Air Show today.

"Free Admission".

Apart from some of the residents being quite high usually, the Free admission will stop them peeking over the fence.

Once a week, the whole school sitting crossed legged in the hall, one crackly speaker and everyone 'Singing Together' .

The caretaker`s feline had to be de-whiskered and a headset placed in a large 'Mason Cash' bowl, in order to provide our prep-school with a wireless! :blum:

• RMweb Gold

Were you the crackly speaker, BoD?

Given that I wasn't even in the queue, never mind at the back of it, when they were giving out singing voices, quite probably.

• RMweb Premium

(Scots Guardsman)

You were lucky to get a photo of this loco actually moving as it seems to spend more time in sidings and back in Carnforth as it has a tendency to run hot boxes.

You have my sympathy. I suffered with sinus problems for years - had them drained once. Anti biotics and steam inhalants had little effect so in desperation I visited a Health Food Shop. They gave me some foul medicine & recommended taking Kyolic Garlic daily. Within days I was better and I've never had sinus problems since.

Hope you soon feel better.

Thanks, Sherry. I've been a sufferer from  Otitus Media (sic) since I was about 5 and as a fellow musician you can imagine just how frustrating that is. This one has been particularly nasty combined with the sinus issue. A little better already but I still find it difficult and painful whenever I am ever so slightly "off-vertical" - incredible pressure and sheer pain! Laying down in bed is just not on. I got an hours sleep so far tonight by sitting at the kitchen table and supporting my head on my hands. Not ideal.

Just to be pedantic - the main infection this time is Acute Otitis Externa, with mild Otitis media and the Sinus Infection (don't go to Wikipedia there is an awful photo of someone who must have been in agony)!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Be well soon, Pete! Never had the misfortune of having suffered an ear infection thus far (sinuses, yes), but the lack of sleep alone which you describe would most certainly incapacitate me completely...

That being said, I'm glad the weekend's arrived! Hope you'll all be able to enjoy it, and those of you who might be ill shall recover quickly...

• Like 1