The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

My parents received the congratulatory Diamond anniversary greeting from The Queen this morning......postie was very impressed; on the outside of the special-delivery envelope he was instructed to telephone "The Telegraph Clerk, Buckingham Palace"  (yes really!: `number provided) and confirm that he was about to deliver the card, as; "failure to do so by 09.30 would initiate an enquiry from the Palace"...........Evidently, the Palace Clerk asked him his name and thanked him on behalf of Her Majesty for his professional attention and wished him an enjoyable day; he was thrilled! :boast:

.....nice to know that 'We' can run things so very efficiently; top marks to the Palace staff.

The card is absolutely lovely: entitled and signed in Her Majesty`s hand, an absolute treasure! :happy_mini:

• Like 14

My parents received the congratulatory Diamond anniversary greeting from The Queen this morning......postie was very impressed; on the outside of the special-delivery envelope he was instructed to telephone "The Telegraph Clerk, Buckingham Palace"  (yes really!: `number provided) and confirm that he was about to deliver the card, as; "failure to do so by 09.30 would initiate an enquiry from the Palace"...........Evidently, the Palace Clerk asked him his name and thanked him on behalf of Her Majesty for his professional attention and wished him an enjoyable day; he was thrilled! :boast:

.....nice to know that 'We' can run things so very efficiently; top marks to the Palace staff.

The card is absolutely lovely: entitled and signed in Her Majesty`s hand, an absolute treasure! :happy_mini:

My late father was anything but a Royalist - that card remained on top of the tele for the rest of his life - my sister now has it in the "family archives"

Congrats again to your parents.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, went to the dentist right day, right time and had the tooth removed. It was a wisdom tooth I wasn't aware I had any! It looked awful complete with hole in the centre.  Not a lot else has got done so far but as usual things still need doing so best get on and do them. 

The NHS has come over all democratic of late - I was made to feel that I have a hand in my own (medical) destiny. The choice was between another steroid injection in the trigger thumb, with potentially an operation further down the line or going for the op now. I decided on the latter and await a date "in two or three months". The porter who kindly guided me to the pre op facility assured me it would be less than that so no doubt you good people on ER's will be some of the first to know!

Other news: daughter and family left to go home to Crewe after lunch and son has gone to play golf with his father. An empty house is bliss with the chance to have an uninterrupted telephone chat to an old friend.

And the sun is shining on the first of many wash loads! My life is one long round of excitement.......!

"Pretentious!?!?!.............. :nomention:

........Moi?" :no:

:P ............ :laugh:

Thanks for stating the f@#king obvious, Debs. Here I was trying to be subtle........

That's a lovely story about the card from QE2.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I like soggy, mushy  Cheese and Tomato sandwiches. I've spent hours trying to replicate this effect in a modern kitchen.

For a nice moist sandwich, use frozen bread. Defrost each slice in the steam from a boiling kettle, 2 seconds each side.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Debs's experience of Buck House efficiency is a very nice tale indeed. As Danemouth Dave said his dad was no royalist, well neither am I. Two days older than the heir to the throne, but age and the air we breath are about all we have in common. Even so, were I in position to receive a personal thingie from Her Maj, I'd certainly regard it as special - monarchs are in short supply worldwide, after all. Years ago MiL bought me a tie. It was/is a ghastly thing, but I'd periodically wear it to work, positively encouraging colleagues to tell me what crap it was. Having netted such a comment, I'd let them see the label - Buck House!

I loved this line in Sherry's review of her hospital visit "I was made to feel that I have a hand in my own (medical) destiny" - or at least a thumb.

I'm not good with heights, but have today stood on the top platform of the 7-step-ladder using loppers on the thicker branches growing upwards from the hedge. Somehow having the hedge alongside takes away some of the vertigo. Pleasing.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

SELF PORTRAIT

In my search for something different I thought I'd give you a self portrait this morning.

I think I came out rather nice...

Didn't realise you were a B&H Sovereign Dd!

Hope you had a good one all

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
I'm not good with heights, but have today stood on the top platform of the 7-step-ladder using loppers on the thicker branches growing upwards from the hedge. Somehow having the hedge alongside takes away some of the vertigo. Pleasing.

I've no problem with standing on our 3rd floor balcony, but am struggling to remain calm even on a 4-step ladder. This means that fitting lights to the ceiling in here was quite a challenge!

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, mimics the 'Arai' stickers. :O

For some of us, motor-cyclists have a screw loose to start with - uncomfortable and vulnerable come to mind as valid adjectives for a bike - but your pics show those who are seriously unhinged. Someone once told me there was a special ward at Newcastle Royal Infirmary for Newcastle Brown addicts - does the Isle of Man offer an equivalent form of therapy?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For some of us, motor-cyclists have a screw loose to start with - uncomfortable and vulnerable come to mind as valid adjectives for a bike - but your pics show those who are seriously unhinged. Someone once told me there was a special ward at Newcastle Royal Infirmary for Newcastle Brown addicts - does the Isle of Man offer an equivalent form of therapy?

I don't understand.  What risk?  Seems normal to me.... :angel:

post-10195-0-21880800-1377800827_thumb.jpeg

post-10195-0-76508500-1377800839_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If every car and lorry driver was made to take a test on a motorcycle, the roads would be much safer!

Riding a motorbike involves making allowances for other road users who feel safe in their steel cocoons as they have always been protected that way and often don't see what is around them. Most bikers do try to be better at hazard perception than the vehicle drivers around them - that is how we survive.

Why do we persist in doing it? You won't know until you've tried it. It isn't for everyone but I believe it can help you to be a better road user.

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

As usual, an uplifting and interesting mix of contributions from all and sundry - great to hear about Debs' folks royal experience - I'm indifferent on the monarchy, but one wonders whether a message from the Prime Minister (isn't it Tony somebody?) would carry the same moment.

Fruit machine schedules have pulled a Saturday in, so that gives me a Friday off, with the boiler man booked for a morning call.  Cue the usual comments that have already been aired on here about the age of the boiler (it's a ten year old Worcester, not the type that Noah used to warm the animals in the ark) from the engineer.  At least with the company I now use, we usually get the same engineer every time, so he's familiar with the boiler, its layout, and its quirks - with the big repairer there was never any consistency, and some of the engineers did a very cursory job.

Dog walking calls before it gets totally dark.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I suppose I had motorbikes as an economical form of transport. I learned quite a few skills maintaining my British bikes in the 1970s and learned that commuting in nasty weather even down south isn't fun evem with reliable Japanese bikes. I sold my bike (Honda Super Dream) the day I passed my car test. Aiti had a Chevette that I could use on Tuesdays so until we got a second car I was using the train for a while. I acquired a Cortina. The skills acquired  fixing bikes were useful on that too. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

As usual, an uplifting and interesting mix of contributions from all and sundry - great to hear about Debs' folks royal experience - I'm indifferent on the monarchy, but one wonders whether a message from the Prime Minister (isn't it Tony somebody?) would carry the same moment.

A message from my MP appeared today as a sponsored advert on my Facebook page. I think it must be done though some location ID though, as it was about getting help following the recent floods. It wasn't postcode specific as I live in one of the more elevated parts of the constituency.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I'm quite excited this week. The builders are in, which means we have started the process of moving the kitchen from one room to another. The old kitchen will become a study and it will also allow me to open up the currently inaccessible cellar. Hopefully by the end of January there will be a layout planning thread with my name on it and updates on progress as I make the cellar habitable for me and my model of parts of the Didcot Newbury and Southampton railway :danced:

a little behind schedule but  I broke into the cellar today  :sungum:  :sungum:

It's a bit damper than I hoped (75% humidity) but will give that some thought whilst other jobs are progressing. For now I have an OWL down there monitoring the situation.

Anybody know anything about safely drying out a cellar? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75557-cellar-conversion/

It's 10'4" x 8'4" plus another section 3'4 x 8'4"  Shall be spending some time on AnyRail methinks

post-12721-0-50352500-1377804746_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-52426100-1377804761_thumb.jpg

Happy but dusty!

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 6