The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Yes, beast, that looks like a good deed to me.

Barry O - when I joined the railway, clerical and managerial staff had a 38-hour p w contract. In the early '80s this was reduced to 37 hrs. For the 9-5 office wallahs, this meant just finishing an hour early on Friday, so it was POETS Day indeed. Of course if you'd been out of the office at a meeting in the morning, it was even more incentive not to come back. So quite often someone would find he was the senior person in the office, and any problems for the weekend would come his way, as he got the OBE - Only Bu**er 'Ere.

Warm here today, they say, but cool and cloudy weekend, maybe with storms. Next week stays cooler. Sheena here for coffee at 11.

Hope your week finishes well.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good news from the land of three legs by the sound of things so hope it all continues to go well.  And I see BoD has been to the seaside as well.

Just for a change from the usual sort of holidays snaps I thought I would add something a bit different - watching others work.  So here, off Porthcawl, are some views of work underway replacing the East Scarweather buoy with a newly prepared one fresh from the overhaul shops at Swansea.  Starting with a view of the foredeck where the previous buoy has been landed - left side furthest from camera - and is in the process of having the bell clappers secured with cable ties (the clappers are on the outside, not inside the bell).  This buoy is fairly clean partly due to the amount of tidal scour in the vicinity of Scarweather Bank.

post-6859-0-78236600-1377247962_thumb.jpg

The cable was also renewed and in this case because of the tidal situation and scour the normal method of securing the shackle pin is replaced by heating the pin and peaning it over the shackle eye to add extra security - lots of heating and hammering, on a moving deck -

post-6859-0-12701300-1377248393_thumb.jpg

The sinker was also lifted to check the shackle and is seen here being lowered back over the side.  The Starboard Watch seem to do lthis with far more care than their opposite numbers so 'big splashes' were never seen on this year's trip!

post-6859-0-64303700-1377248562_thumb.jpg

The new buoy, with shortened name - is hoisted by the crane and moved to the centre of the deck for the bridle and cable to be attached -

post-6859-0-07290500-1377248765_thumb.jpg

Here the bridle has been shackled to the buoy and in this case the pin is secured in the normal manner with a key passed through it and peaned over -

post-6859-0-86518500-1377248878_thumb.jpg

With the bridle and cable attached the buoy is made ready to be lifted over the side -

post-6859-0-90387200-1377249077_thumb.jpg

Here the buoy is being swung out but the end of the bridle where it joins the cable is still on the deck.  The extent to which the buoy is swinging and the ship is rolling can be seen by looking at the buoy in relation to the background horizon (this is nothing compared with the list the ship took when trying to lift a 5 tonne sinker out of the sand on the bottom a few days later!) -

post-6859-0-55063000-1377249177_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Just for a change from the usual sort of holidays snaps I thought I would add something a bit different - watching others work. 

Thanks very much for the excellent and informative photo-report, Mike.......The buoy`s certainly are impressive bits of kit and .I`ve oft wondered what size the sinkers were: thinking that the chain`s 'lay' weight and the sand/silt`s suction on the sinker must also play a part in the buoy`s stable anchorage.......it is remarkable that more of them don`t become displaced, especially in areas of strong tidal current.

We do seem to have quite a few presently reported 'out of position' in our Mersey and Queen`s channels and at the moment, Cameron and Patricia are both on the case!

• RMweb Premium

Beast - was that a chaffinch?

Old Udders - when I worked for Vickers we checked out the levels of activity (ie phone calls and  faxes) from the MoD on a Friday...we then went to a four and a half day week and when they moved to Bristol Friday became a silent day....

Builders in Barroooow doing OK - journey tedious (2hrs 10 min there (98 miles) and 2hrs 30 mins back)  our builders in Leeds have slowed to a standstill......

Sound Chip inserted in a Jubilee - just need to test it.....

Enjoy the rest of POETS folks 

from a muggy and thunderstormy Leeds

Barry O

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the excellent and informative photo-report, Mike.......The buoy`s certainly are impressive bits of kit and .I`ve oft wondered what size the sinkers were: thinking that the chain`s 'lay' weight and the sand/silt`s suction on the sinker must also play a part in the buoy`s stable anchorage.......it is remarkable that more of them don`t become displaced, especially in areas of strong tidal current.

We do seem to have quite a few presently reported 'out of position' in our Mersey and Queen`s channels and at the moment, Cameron and Patricia are both on the case!

We lifted another one (pics available if you dare ;) ) which was a Class 1 and it was big - c.16tonnes of buoy plus 100 metres of cable (25metres= 1 tonne) plus a 5 tonne sinker.  Not all lifted at once of course but the sinker was very reluctant to shift and we listed quite noticeably when the crane driver had his first bite at it (5-6 degrees of list according to the tell tale on the bridge) but he eventually got it moving after 4 or 5 attempts.  Oddly it seems the most awkward lifts are the smallest Class 3 buoys as their smaller anchor chains don't catch properly on the windlass - didn't see one of them being lifted, we were on Caldey at the time.

All gives a very new meaning to the expression 'picking up buoys' when you see the professionals at this job.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening All

Well, las night we had a bit of excitement round here - shame that Ohmisterporter didn't seem to be around to witness.

Most of the neighbourhood knew about the smell, and its source - but it seems that the neighbour didn't notify the authorities, or indeed some of the residents, about his oil problem - well, the inveviable happened, and somebody who did't know what was happening called the fire service, so we had the incident control van, and a fire engine, and the firemen taking up the drains and sewer covers looking for the source of the smell.  This was about 10.00 pm and when they arrived, the rain was falling down fit to imitate a waterfall - once it abated, I want out, and innocently asked if there was a cause for concern, to be told that they were looking for the source of the fumes.  So I showed them the house where the tank had leaked, and left them to it - I can't help but thinking that if the person concerned had told everybody, and also made the fire service aware, they would have come out to offer advice and would also have logged the incident in case anybody else called in - still, his garden has today had the flags removed, and some excavation started, so it looks as if things are on the mend now.

Other than that, not a lot chez 45156/30747, so

happy Bank Holiday regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Guess which of these I have made up.

A local knit and natter group meet in a library.

They have been told that they can't meet there any longer unless they meet in smaller, quieter groups.

Their needles are a health and safety concern.

They mainly knit boobs and wombs to help train midwives.

Guess which of these I have made up.

A local knit and natter group meet in a library.

They have been told that they can't meet there any longer unless they meet in smaller, quieter groups.

Their needles are a health and safety concern.

They mainly knit boobs and wombs to help train midwives.

:banghead:

• RMweb Gold

A warmer evening than of late, reflecting the 30 deg I saw on the car thermometer at about 7. Evenings are drawing in now, but still managed dinner at 9 on the terrasse in the dusk. Very quiet and still, thanks to France still being on holiday. Weekend supposed to be chillier and maybe stormy.

Sleep well, all.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, Mrs B has been for physio and can now stand on two feet with elbow crutches and use them to go up and down stairs :O not many stairs yet though.Bit of thunder and lightning tonight and rain more rain and very localised flooding. 

I know it's not a competition or a race but I'm on first this morning!

I'm still in my pyjamas having just donned my specs, switched on the the light.

I set my alarm for an appointment yesterday and omitted to reset it for this morning.

Having checked the time at 5.30 I therfore switched on the radio to hear the 6:00AM time time check and thereby know it was time to get uo

Happy Saturday to you all!

Any model railway exhibitions today?

Temp is currently 10C I'd better get dressed before I freeze.

PS. I haven't checked posts I missed yesterday, so if I am not commenting on something important, please forgive me.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Woke at 06:15 ready for breakfast and then out for a test train but the rain has put paid to that, torrential at the moment - normally I'd go out anyway but it's so heavy I'd be concerned about the cameras and there won't be much light around so - next time.maybe.

As mentioned torrential rain at the moment, forecast to move away over the next few hours.

Have a good day all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As we stepped of tge train at Durham station last night the rain started.

It did make some nice photos around town though.

Heavy rain forecast for this area this morning so hoping that we can get back up to the station without getting too

Wet.

Ian

post-1557-0-75612600-1377325899_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Breezy with sun here. Torquay Regatta this week so, with the Bonk Hol as well, it will be busy. At least there should be plenty for the family to do when they arrive on Monday. Not relishing catering for nine at times!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

If Durham City is anything like the coast I'm afraid Ian is going to get very wet getting to the station this morning.

Don: I'm of to RailexNE this weekend. It's more likely to be tomorrow rather than today though. Always an excellent show with some cracking layouts.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70603-railex-ne-2013-the-north-east-model-railway-exhibition-24th-25th-august/?p=1014058

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

No holiday here this weekend, with or without the bonking, in fact it is "rentree" or re-entry to the real world after the August hol. Overcast is now looking threatening after a bright start, so showers possible.

Not much in prospect today, but I'm told Spa GP quali is on the Beeb, so that will be good.

Sorry some of you are getting wet, but Ian's pic is a stunner, so it's an ill wind.

Hope your long weekend goes well!