The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

And yet more photos starting with the Cardiff Bay Barrage with Castell Coch still visible in the background - it was regular feature in the background, but much nearer, during my days at Radyr Yard a mere 40 years ago.

post-6859-0-81244600-1377176399_thumb.jpg

And one of a number of lighthouses still in operation in the Bristol Channel although all are now unmanned and use solar panel as their main source of energy - this is the one on the island of Flat Holm which lies more or less on a line drawn from Cardiff to Weston-Super-Mud Mare on the English side -

post-6859-0-87552600-1377177419_thumb.jpg

And now a bit of navigation fun - and how to remember what you were taking a photo of - with a series of views showing Nash Point (just to the west of Llantwit Major and west of Aberthaw power station for the landlubbers among us, such as me who found it sometimes far easier to work out where we were from what was visible on land than by looking at a chart.  So first of all a view through the bridge windows as we approached -

post-6859-0-03384100-1377177606_thumb.jpg

Followed by a quick look at the new course planner/plotter/auto-pilot screen - this is a modernised version of the system the ship has had for some years and is still very much under development although it works quite well notwithstanding being slightly 'off' (it showed one side of the ship to be on the lock wall in Swansea)

post-6859-0-22230000-1377177711_thumb.jpg

and good old real paper still las a role - here is Nash Point on a 'proper' chart

post-6859-0-51943000-1377184684_thumb.jpg

And finally a rather closer view of the real thing -

post-6859-0-19032200-1377184774_thumb.jpg

After a night at anchor in Swansea Roads we headed further west for Caldey Island off Tenby and this was our form of transport to & from the ship - one of her workboats.  This view shows some of our number on their return trip to the ship as we had to be split into two parties to comply with the maximum load insurance requirements for the davits.  We travelled to & fro kitted out in safety helmets and life jackets, meanwhile the visitor boats to/from Tenby plied their trade with small children running everywhere and seemingly limited only by how many punters they could get into the boat - no life jackets at all but just flotation aids for groups of passengers, quite a considerable difference especially when you think we were in boats which are probably manned and maintained by some of the best trained & experienced  folk in UK inshore ship working!

post-6859-0-98977600-1377184878_thumb.jpg

Caldey pics are still to download from the other camera - I don't take the big Pentax on boat trips but here is a view of Caldey from the ship and including the lighthouse we couldn't get into -

post-6859-0-46481300-1377185240_thumb.jpg

Finally in this lot a view of some marine life (I missed the dolphins although I do wonder if that's what they were - only a couple of passengers saw them and at an unusual time & place).  Anyway you get to see jellyfish - a whole lot of them seemed to get underway when the anchor was being lifted off Caldey and having missed the first group I did at least get some of the later ones, and as usual clicking on the pic should enlarge it.

post-6859-0-31084300-1377185316_thumb.jpg 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Sun has decided to put in an apearance.

Mystery smell solved - though not cured - one of our neighbours has suffered a fractured oil tank and lost almost his entire winter stock of heating oil - it has all soaked into his garden, and I'm not sure which would be his greater grief - the cost of mending and refilling the tank, or the damage that's been done to his much beloved garden.  Hopefully the smell will abate soon - some of our neighbours with diesel cars were out with the bonnets up thinking that they'd sprung a leak.

Anyways, not a lot more to say here, and dinner's on the way.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

I see many wondrous and amazing things on my travels hereabouts,

The truck that was being towed yesterday had the front tyres disintegrating in front of our eyes.... within the next half kilometer it was running on the rims... and only two nuts holding each wheel on. That was yesterday....tonight  I managed to get a couple of shots of the returning commuter  train,  by the next stop, the loco footplate  and roofs would be covered too. 

But tonight's sunset  was quite nice.....

Hope these will bring a smile or two?  

Trev

post-4282-0-68642600-1377199541.jpg

post-4282-0-30965200-1377199594.jpg

post-4282-0-32625200-1377199646.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening orl.

Mrs NHN progressing well, so I sneaked out to watch some practice for the Manx Grand Prix/Classic TT. Rrrrhuuummmbaaaaaa!!!!  That'll be a Manx Norton then!

Passing speeds in Sulby village have increased since I last watched from there, I'd say in the region of 140 for the 500 classics and 170 for the modern 750's.  eeek, in a 30 limit.....  The big fellers in the TT do 190+ down there. 

Cooked tandoori chicken for supper in the new charcoal garden oven, yummmm!

Evening orl.

Mrs NHN progressing well, so I sneaked out to watch some practice for the Manx Grand Prix/Classic TT. Rrrrhuuummmbaaaaaa!!!!  That'll be a Manx Norton then!

Passing speeds in Sulby village have increased since I last watched from there, I'd say in the region of 140 for the 500 classics and 170 for the modern 750's.  eeek, in a 30 limit.....  The big fellers in the TT do 190+ down there. 

Cooked tandoori chicken for supper in the new charcoal garden oven, yummmm!

Glad to hear that things in the world of NHN are looking up.

• RMweb Gold

Hooray. I have power back to the study and desktop and so can have a look at the holiday snaps.

Here is a flavour of the week....

post-7191-0-33307800-1377205881.jpg

post-7191-0-67662400-1377205905.jpg

post-7191-0-70308700-1377205922.jpg

post-7191-0-08592300-1377205949.jpg

post-7191-0-72672700-1377206012.jpg

Edited by BoD
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gruff - it's the status quo for a few weeks now, while Debs heals after her surgery.  Thankfully her recovery will be a lot quicket than mine, although that wasn't what was expected.  It's rather nice when things turn out better than expected, not the sort of thing that usually happens to us.  Never stand next to us.....

Off to bed now, having imbibed a decent shiraz that has made the world seem a better place.

• Like 3

Hello all,

I wonder whether BoDs seal is the one I waved to as he swam out of Cape Town harbour.

Clear sky at present with a current temperature of 4C. It did feel chilly getting out of bed!

Happy Friday folks :imsohappy:

• Like 4

Good morning all, 

We seem to be getting a nice variety of holiday snaps at the moment, thanks folks.  

Not much more to report from here yet today...but who knows what I'll see on my journey today?

Have a good un, be careful & remember to try and smile!

Trev

What, no sun??!!

Good thing we made the most of a lovely evening yesterday and went for a walk on the prom and a drink on the quay; Torquay was quite buzzy and busy!

OAP with bus pass living the dream!!

It's Friday! Enjoy!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It'sa sunny Fri day morning here in Surrey.

Last day at work for a few days as we are adding a days holiday on to the is bank holiday weekend.

Strichen after work this evening we travel from Kings Cross to the really nice city of Durham for a few beers.

Tomorrow we head to Scotland.

Ian

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When does the actual teaching year start, Dom? Must be exciting....

Good luck, Pete.

Under my curriculum, I am to hold an increasing number of supervised lessons per week during my first year, and to be given an independent teaching assignment during my second year. At which point I will be responsible for marking as well!

Summer break ends on Monday, so I'll be joining one of the new 5th year classes for their first day at their new school. I figure seeing how new pupils familiarise themselves with their new classmates and surroundings will be interesting to observe.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

foggy morning off to Barrooooow to check on builders work there - still waiting for plumber/joiner etc to finish the bathroom....

Have a good Friday early - POETS as usual if you can......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunshine & blue sky, 17oC and looks like it will be a nice day although there could be heavy showers this evening.

Another shopping trip is planned this morning as we are having friends for dinner have invited friends for a meal this evening. I don't think my culinary expertise is required on this occasion & will probably be told " don't touch that, don't interfere & get out of my bl##dy kitchen" until my help is required to fetch & carry. As usual I will of course be allowed to pour alcoholic beverages. (& assist in their consumption)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

Morning All,

I am a little later on parade this morning, having taken the little guy to school, and then having some important stuff to do in the office.

It's not too sunny this morning, but perhaps it will brighten up later!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's amazing what you can do with a shoebox with a pinhole in one end.

Shoebox ? luxury lad, we 'ad to make do with t'matchbox and we couldn't afford t'hole.

Morning all.

A mixed morning, dull and raining in Norfolk, bright sunshine in Suffolk - but still sticky.

I've done my good deed for the day, this little fellow flew in through the window and got himself in a right frenzy, I let him calm down and then gently put him on the desk for a few minutes, once his breathing slowed I put him on my (flat) hand and held it out of the window, after a minute or two of panting and looking at me he took to flight.

post-6662-0-15553600-1377244294.jpg

post-6662-0-65767700-1377244293.jpg

Good deed over with.

Have a good day all.

• Like 10