The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

must admit I was getting a bit worried about things round here as I read about 'bumpier rides' and 'grid girls' but fortunately DD's epic adventure to secure some nice landscape pics for us seems to have calmed things down.  Rather cloudy here but no rain at present however my main interest is beginning to centre on slightly longer range maritime forecasting - can't think why :scratchhead:

Have a nice day one & all - we're off to the chiropractor as Mrs Stationmaster seem to have put something out in her back  (then to Waitrose - well it is Friday - but whether it will be here or Reading depends on the parking situation).

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, mixed weather this am Mrs B seems to be getting a little better every day but finds her crutches hard work with her CFS. She is getting better at moving around when I push her in the wheelchair though. The garden is trying to outgrow me but I have a cunning plan, the elimination of junk has ground to a halt but a change of tactics will be tried this weekend.......  charity shops standby. Have a good weekend :angel:   

Edited by skipepsi

• RMweb Gold

I deserve a medal for these shots.

I walked nearly 100 yards from home just to take them for ERs.

Careful - you will be joining the Ramblers' Association next ;)

The suspension on the US Ford Focus seemed very different (fortunately)  to the ones I've driven here!

Aditi's Fiesta seems to be a nice little car. Her one is the "Titanium" and it doesn't have the sports suspension of the "Zetec" though it does have pretty wheels. Though the heated windscreen is of more interest to me (or will be in a few months).

My Girlfriend has a Fiesta, and it is a very nice little motor.  Streets ahead of the old Mark 2 Tin box that my Mum used to have as a company car.

The heated windscreen is a truly excellent feature - it's such a shame that Ford have a patent on it!

sound chip fitting went well - one EE type 3, one 08 (Bachmann which was a real s*d!)

I bet it was!  I fitted a standard decoder into my Bachmann 08 and that was bad enough.  Still, it wasn't as difficult as the Bachmann 04 which took me ages to get right.  Infernal split chassis!

The suspension on the US Ford Focus seemed very different (fortunately)  to the ones I've driven here!

Tony

That may be a "placebo" effect due to the different sort of roads. I understand that the US suspension components are identical - the whole point of the "world car" concept. Mind you no one pumps up the tires of rental cars, except me.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Do they let you take a buckshot filled 12 gauge in case of Bambi's?

Sorry, BoD...

Best, Pete.

Single shot is better - doesn't affect the taste as much.

• RMweb Gold

And let's hope they don't feed you German cuisine.....(Sorry Dom!)  It's just not my favourite.........Mike may love it.

Best, Pete.

I have a strong feeling from what was said by various people last year (including the Captain) that the menu will be exactly the same as it is repeated every week; the food was pretty good last time and included wine with dinner but I wonder if that has been cut out as the fares haven't increased from last year (which suggests that maybe the catering/customer service contractor isn't getting any or much more for his contract this year).  The food was pretty good but several of the ship's officers reckoned the food in the crew's mess was better - it definitely had a more varied menu.

And not to worry Pete - I'm quite partial to German food (and can thoroughly recommend the restaurant at the cathedral end of Koln Hbf which serves - still I hope - really good grub and offers a nice view of the station working).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Jeez, Mike,  I think everyone knows all the bars and restaurants around Koln Hbf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last time I was there the guys from Electrola GmbH took me some way out of town to an old castle that was now a restaurant. Catering almost entirely to locals the menu was totally in German (I only speak a little). I said I wanted something simple so it was suggested I try beef with blackcurrant sauce. What I mistake! I like blackcurrants and I like beef but the two together was the heaviest, most indigestable concoction I have tasted.

Shame really, luckily, the kolsch was still the best and made up for it..........

Btw can you put up that link for the route of the ship next week?

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeez, Mike,  I think everyone knows all the bars and restaurants around Koln Hbf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last time I was there the guys from Electrola GmbH took me some way out of town to an old castle that was now a restaurant. Catering almost entirely to locals the menu was totally in German (I only speak a little). I said I wanted something simple so it was suggested I try beef with blackcurrant source. What I mistake! I like blackcurrants and I like beef but the two together was the heaviest, most indigestable concoction I have tasted.

Shame really, luckily, the kolsch was still the best and made up for it..........

Best, Pete.

Ah Kolsch in those small 25cl glasses they serve from a tray. There's a good one almost opposite Koln Hbf and the Dom we tend to use.

Fruh, the other side of the Dom is good but it tends to get very busy these days.

Making me thirsty... time for some Harveys in the Royal Oak just off  Borough High Street

ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Just got back from a really good day out, except that we decided to make the second stop Ilkley, and found that The Grove (main drag) was closed for some sort of street festival and it was just wall to wall people - so we decided to go elsewhere, and wound up having a walk round Settle instead.  Cream Crackered now, though.

Well caught up though and hope that we get a contribution from Don soon - we haven't upset him, have we?

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

BTW we have now got the passenger list for next week - I think I'd better 'phone Dom for a refresher course in German, and meals might be interesting with all ten of us round the big table.

Are you sure its ten ? it might only be nein!

• RMweb Gold

Last time I was there the guys from Electrola GmbH took me some way out of town to an old castle that was now a restaurant. Catering almost entirely to locals the menu was totally in German (I only speak a little). I said I wanted something simple so it was suggested I try beef with blackcurrant source. What I mistake! I like blackcurrants and I like beef but the two together was the heaviest, most indigestable concoction I have tasted.

Best, Pete.

Here you go Pete  

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=232647000&centerx=-4.642833&centery=53.3335&zoom=10&type_color=9

Duly tested and working but beware as for some peculiar reason it briefly flashes up Anglesey first irrespective of where she actually is.  If you 'lose' the ship use the same link and enter the name (Patricia) in the search box - top right. This will bring up every ship named Patricia which is on AIS anywhere in the world so just expand the list and go down - not very far - to the one marked 'Tender'.

Last year after following her on AIS for a week or two I very accurately guessed where where she was likely to be during the week we were onboard.  While she might go back towards the Scilly Isles my hunch this time is for her heading northwards - but always dangerous going public with hunches!

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Evening all! One cupboard reassembled, tableware stored, some stuff bought at a certain Swedish furniture house. New cooker and dishwasher ordered, too. Exhausted now and at FiL's for dinner!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

For those of you who like this sort of thing here is a photo of this sort of thing.

Not the sharpest but the bu$$er wouldn't sit still.

post-7191-0-67525100-1376074507.jpg

I think his name was Spot.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That may be a "placebo" effect due to the different sort of roads. I understand that the US suspension components are identical - the whole point of the "world car" concept. Mind you no one pumps up the tires of rental cars, except me.

Best, Pete.

I suspect it may also be that I've only driven Focus models with the Zetec sports suspension option in Europe. The tyres on the US one weren't the rubber band on a big wheel size that seem to be popular here either. 

I have been behaving in a manly fashion this afternoon wielding an array of power-tools to put up some posts for a new gate. After the neighbours replaced the fence panels our back gate looked very tatty so a trip to the garden centre this afternoon resulted in two new posts, a gate and metalwork pack. I'll attach the gate to the posts tomorrow. 

Tony