The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Talking of sheds....

I'm looking forward to a 28xx arriving in the post.  It has a former number of my GWRd shed (shed chosen because it is said to be half the size of Salisbury and gave me a good reason for 'chopping' it down to size) but not quite the right period (1961-65ish) - it went off elsewhere just before my time span. But am I complaining?  :no:  :nono:  No siree. It'll do me just fine.  :yes: :D

My collection of US locos was described as "eclectic". I did start off just having Maryland&Pennsylvania trains but then starting adding a few locos and coaches I thought looked interesting.

The British layout I'm building scenically is based( vaguely) in rural Warwickshire and is supposed to be ex LMS (ex LNWR) BR in the mid 1960s. However there are various locos that come into the "I had one on my trainset when I was little and I'd like one again" category. Then there is the Midland Pullman. My brother got the Triang version one Christmas, I got a green DMU. I always wanted a Blue Pullman!

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's a strange hobby this Tony

If you just run something you like, or you can't say the exact year and location of your layout, or use the wrong shade of paint, or have the wrong signal (sorry Beast ;) ) you aren't a true railway modeller but are just playing with toy trains. I suppose it is true, you aren't producing an accurate model of the real thing.

Me? I'll continue playing with my toy trains.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

It's a strange hobby this Tony

If you just run something you like, or you can't say the exact year and location of your layout, or use the wrong shade of paint, or have the wrong signal (sorry Beast ;) ) you aren't a true railway modeller but are just playing with toy trains. I suppose it is true, you aren't producing an accurate model of the real thing.

Me? I'll continue playing with my toy trains.

To paraphrase the old saying:

:nono: "It`s not 'life or death'......

.......it`s much more serious than that.......

........it`s the Hornby pre-release thread!" :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Once upon a time I could have been helping schools develop and deliver their IT plans. At the end of my career in education I could find myself advising teenagers about all sorts of things. Now I get to choose the supermarket!

Do you still have to fill in the risk assessment forms?

• RMweb Premium

Talking of sheds....

I'm looking forward to a 28xx arriving in the post.  It has a former number of my GWRd shed (shed chosen because it is said to be half the size of Salisbury and gave me a good reason for 'chopping' it down to size) but not quite the right period (1961-65ish) - it went off elsewhere just before my time span. But am I complaining?  :no:  :nono:  No siree. It'll do me just fine.  :yes: :D

Just hope, if it's delivered today, it doesn't get returned to the Depot while I'm picking up a delivery that was taken there yesterday (no, not another loco - not even anything railway-ish).

Have a good weekend all.

Polly

I've just got home from the Depot {and lunch out.... :sungum:   ] and guess what....?

Yep.  Another card sending me back to the Depot....closed half an hour an ago....

Ah, well. I'll have to wait until Monday....

Midsomer Murders now  :sungum:

See y'all...

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Late call in, shopping, gardening, more gardenIng, next door's gardening ( on holiday) and a touch of motorbike fettling completed.

Off out for a supper in the camper soon, maybe in Peel I think.  Next door's 'home alone' dog has given up barking and is now howling, hells bells it's driving us nuts, but it's very hard to actually do anything.  Why do people get pets then leave them alone all day?  Not the dog's fault, they don't get to chose their owners!

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Sorry I've not much time to catch up as I managed to draw a Saturday in on the shift from Hell and I really just feel like going to sleep.  I've been in this job nearly 20 years now, and have never had such dreadful days as I had yesterday and today. 

I'll try to get back over the five or so pages since I last called in, and hopefully can comment, congratulate, and commiserate once I have done so - I must say that I spent a fair bit of RMweb time trying to help Mick with advice over Karen's hip, as so far as I can see, he's had more help here from his fellow ERs than they've had from the NHS - 'nuff said.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I went out for the drag today, I got one Yarmouth to Norwich working, not bad but the sun 3/4 to the rear. I was awaiting the next working, from Norwich - Yarmouth, I was positioned at the old Whitlingham station footbridge, the sun was shining, bang on the right angle, two guys for company, all setup, the level crossing wah wahs started, videos - "ROLLIN'", run like a mad thing to the base of the bridge, and wait .... and wait.... and wait ... the wah wahs stopped after 15 minutes, yes, even though I was only a mile or so away the train had failed between the station and me - darn. Never mind.

Jill and I went into Norwich, upgraded my mobile - now a Samsung S4, then we had some food at Wagamamas and then spent a pleasant couple of hours looking for gogogorillas and (window) shopping in general.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Busy day today as had to go to Heathow to pick Mum up from her flight from Hong Kong due in just after 4pm.

So we decided to go out this morning to spend some cash in Model Junction but as usual bought more than planned.

We also visited a few great Western stations starting with Burnham and Taplow before the wires start going up.

Next stop was the model railway shop in Cookham which I haven't been into for about 12 years so great to see them still going. Couldn't come out empty handed!

A few photos of Cookham station before heading off to the Rebllion Brewery at Marlow Bottom. It's a great shop on site and you can even have a few free samples of their beer but we were driving o it was just a sip of a couple of them and a few bottles for home. Next stop was the Windsor and Eton Brewery before it shut at 2pm for some more takeaways thn back west to Twyford to the Bingham Brewery as there was still space in the boot even allowing for Mums cases later.

A quick trip to Twyford station where they were having problems with the Henley 165. In he end it was cancelled so we headed or Heathrow where we spent some time as her flight got put ino a stack (was on time till it got near Heathrow) then a shortage of baggage staff saw our parking charge start to rise quickly then big queues to use the lifts into the car park meant me lifting her bag up the stairs which then set my knee off.

How I dislike Heathrow airport over all the other ones in the South East.

So now its time to relax with a few beers in Wetherspoons whilst the growler of black IPA settles back home!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I went out for the drag today, I got one Yarmouth to Norwich working, not bad but the sun 3/4 to the rear. I was awaiting the next working, from Norwich - Yarmouth, I was positioned at the old Whitlingham station footbridge, the sun was shining, bang on the right angle, two guys for company, all setup, the level crossing wah wahs started, videos - "ROLLIN'", run like a mad thing to the base of the bridge, and wait .... and wait.... and wait ... the wah wahs stopped after 15 minutes, yes, even though I was only a mile or so away the train had failed between the station and me - darn. Never mind.

Jill and I went into Norwich, upgraded my mobile - now a Samsung S4, then we had some food at Wagamamas and then spent a pleasant couple of hours looking for [urlf=http://gogogorillas.co.uk/%5Dgogogorillas[/url] and (window) shopping in general.

For a moment I thought you set you went out in drag today till I took more time to read your post!!

I am hoping to see those loco drags this Summer. When do they finish?

The S3 is superb so a good choice to go for the S4. I just can't justify upgrading from the S3 but would love to.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all.

yes we went - to Salisbury, by road (judging by Ian's report about a failed 165 we might even have made the right choice) and the place was crowded but no trouble parking.  Reasonable lunch, no shopping, visited the cathedral and Mompresson House then came home via a relatively quiet route via Hungerford.  So better informed for a future visit by train (as it's probably less knackering than driving, and it's cheaper of course).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Game over reasonably early - big day umpiring a 110 over game.... and it can rain for 1 hour before we can deduct overs ....

Early start for me tomorrow so have a great Sunday everyone ( or whatever day it is where  you are......)

• RMweb Gold

Back home now and I am quite relieved to be so. MiL has decided to fly (by aeroplane!) out to Delhi for a surprise visit to her brother's 80th birthday in a couple of weeks. Her visa has just expired. I was volunteered to help do the online application. It is the most ridiculous website ever. Vogon culture is user friendly compared to that experienced today. For instance if you save it part way through and then reload it, various things you have ticked get changed. It is only when you realise that it has ones MiL down as a former Pakistani military officer that you realise something is wrong. On the third attempt we got to the end and the payment option just disappeared into cyberspace. This was using the internet explorer browser that the website said must be used. In a moment of frustration I re-did it all with Chrome and it all worked. If I were still teaching IT I'd use that site as a how not to do it example.

At least MiL was happy and Aditi's sister was impressed. She took her mum down to the in-person application place last time, and got very very stressed. Punam (Aditi's sister) commented that she had heard me swear this afternoon. What impressed her was that it was only once.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

The drags finish on 28 September but this year they have hardly run due to duff duffs

Here's a snap from today - my girl and gogogorilla 11 - Gonzo - being born on 11 / 11 he's my lucky one.

post-6662-0-53932100-1375566134_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The Eagle has landed!Mrs B has returned from the hospital. we were supposed to leave at 6.00 and eventually left about 7.30 not enough nurses no other problem. Mrs B was really pleased with the attitude of the ward staff nothing was a problem for them she said it felt like being a private patient her own room/toilet etc. It would now appear she has had the same operation as Stewart a DHS apparently all we were told before was guesswork.  Tomorrow cleaning tidying and throwing away junk so there is room for a wheelchair to move around.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky & sunshine, 16oC & looks like another nice day.

We're heading towards Kent this morning to Scotney Castle & some friends have asked to tag along with us. I suspect (knowing them & me) that when we return later a few beers & wine will be partaken of. (& possibly some food!)

Enjoy your day,,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

blue sky and a few clouds 

Son had borrowed her indoors car and returned it at 1:45 this morning then couldn't get key through letter box - so woke us up. Took ages to get back to sleep ( he is turning into a right Herbert!)

have a great day!

Barry O

Hazy skies in the land of the Gruff with wind moving tree branches. Spent most of yesterday fitting new doors and will continue again today. Sadly the door frames are definitely not square so simply using set squares doesn't work. I am not allowed to saw, plane or sand indoors so will be struggling to manage a 1.5m2 sail / kite every time I go out into the garden to make further adjustments.

Test match has become a bit dour and don't follow football so no distractions, just the need for regular back relief exercise. Not sure on the catering arrangements, expect that will also be down to me sometime later.