The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

This thread is addictive. I had originally stated that 'I would never post again'. Is this how it goes on here?

Sincerely,

B.O.G. Mopping.

I first posted in this thread as I noticed that Dd was requesting advice about how much a dehumidifier was going to cost his insurers to run, following water moving in a mysterious way within his walls.

ooh, sore this morning!

I was wondering if we could post Branston out to Pete, but with the new post office rules it's probably a 'dangerous substance'.  Everything else is..... :nono:

I'm sure if he's prepared to pay for the plane ticket he'll find any number of volunteer pickle runners. It should be legal in checked baggage, though I reckon it would probably be considered a liquid and therefore not hand luggage legal. I'll even volunteer myself for the role, after all i've previously smuggled crumpets, sherbet lemons and smokey bacon crisps into the USA. I'm prepared to negotiate on who gets the airmiles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Here's a riddle - what do you get for £120 an hour?

1 A meeting with my solicitor

2 Car repairs from a Mercedes agent

3 An hour going round Morrisons for the shopping

Guess which I suffered today?

Weather's turning more humid by the minute and 30747 is also in beat the storm mode with the lawn mower.

Dog walking calls again in beat the storm mode - sadly, we've got people round for supper tonight, and had it all planned to have the table set with food, patio doors open and some chairs and a table out in the garden - back to the drawing board!

Regards to All

Stewart

Thanks, Guys.

I've already ordered a large jar over the internet from British Delights in MASS., (along with a bag of Sherbet Fountains)!

Btw Piccalilli is called "Chow - Chow" (even by the British manufacturers) over here - no idea why...

Thanks to Tony S. for some insights into Universities around the nation - I'll reply later, Tony.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Here's a riddle - what do you get for £120 an hour?

1 A meeting with my solicitor

2 Car repairs from a Mercedes agent

3 An hour going round Morrisons for the shopping

Guess which I suffered today?

Must be Morrison's - the other two have got to be dearer than that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking to a Canadian lady in the words (the dogs introduced themselves so we got talking) as a girl she had a pet raccoon. Apparently raccoon's like to wash there food for which they provided a bowl of water. Her brother found it amusing to give it a sugar cube which the raccoon duly attempted to wash......

Don

• RMweb Gold

We managed to have a good day in Bristol (my sort of home town whilst growing up) before the rain started. We were late into there due to a failed HST prior to our booked train then causing overcrowding and delays all the way from Reading Add to that numerous short staff cancellations on Gatwick services we count ourselves lucky our train to Redhill is running and despite yet again failed air con on the 166 it's now overcast and cooler.

My complaints to FGW last week still unanswered.

Thank god that they didn't get West Coast.

Regardless of what others think of FGW I wouldn't trust them with a barge pole and avoid them like the plague.

We do far less travel on their routes than we used to and today just reinforces this.

Even our travels to Banbury are now via London Marylebone rather than via Reading.

Southern have slipped badly in my ratings but they have not yet got as bad as FGW.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A good day, hot and sunny, and we eventually sold enough stuff to make it worthwhile.  Jill and I have nipped back to get showered and are now walking back so we can have a few beers and listen to the live music with some mates.

Have a good evening all - hic.

• Like 3

I'll even volunteer myself for the role, after all i've previously smuggled crumpets, sherbet lemons and smokey bacon crisps into the USA.

Prepared food is OK into Canada, at least. A sniffer dog at Ottawa airport once showed great interest in my wife's bag, which contained flavoured British crisps in sealed bags, all inside a sealed foil bag. We were seriously impressed!

• RMweb Gold

STOP PRESS!

It's raining in Horton.

Lucky I mowed the lawn this morning.

Regards

Richard

Huh. Jon-the-builder had just about finished the first coat on my garage-end when a major storm approached, with squally winds unsuitable for a scaffolding, so he packed up and cluttered off sharpish. I drove the 2 km to feed the horses, fortunately taking a Gore-Tex shell. While I was there - and ironically standing waiting for the water trough to fill from a hose - it chucked it down in Biblical fashion. Hardly had the trough filled than the sun came out. My trousers are now drying.....

• RMweb Gold

Huh. Jon-the-builder had just about finished the first coat on my garage-end when a major storm approached, with squally winds unsuitable for a scaffolding, so he packed up and cluttered off sharpish. I drove the 2 km to feed the horses, fortunately taking a Gore-Tex shell. While I was there - and ironically standing waiting for the water trough to fill from a hose - it chucked it down in Biblical fashion. Hardly had the trough filled than the sun came out. My trousers are now drying.....

Isn't filling anything with a hose the british equivalent of a rain dance?

Don

• RMweb Gold

We had rumbles of thunder and a few drops of rain at (late) lunchtime. There are a few spots of rain now but Aditi thinks not enough to deter me from grilling the chicken I marinaded yesterday (I find it difficult to estimate for  BBQ cooking portions). Anyway the 24 hour marinade will have worked better than the one hour it had yesterday.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Home at last.

Even the train staff are fed up of the failed air con. They have to work in it all day. No wonder they were short staffed today on our route.

Oh well, next time we HAVE to use FGW we will buy the tickets through another TOC as its the only way to protest if having to travel on their routes.

Hopefully thats the last travel on FGW this year for us.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

It was easier to go into the garage to dry out after clearing up outside while it was pouring  with rain after dinner this evening. So I took a photo of recent progress. Green undercoat on hilly bits and test fit of semi-circle to what will be the other scenic bit (the goods yard) one day.

post-6719-0-98141700-1374954988_thumb.jpg

Tony

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

It is now persisting down here with noisy bolts to accompany Ian's biblical deluge. I'm just off out to check my kayak as that may be the preferred method of reaching Didcot tomorrow!

NHN family transport....

post-10195-0-53856900-1374955448_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I bet most wives could spend more than that in an hour in Morrisons as long as someone else was paying!

Er .... don't tell anyone but .......

........I quite like shopping in Morrisons.

Can I take anything for it?