The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It's gone grey and dull.

So much for the warm and sunny south.

Billed as a "Toy and Train Fair".

"All major manufacturers represented" 80+ 'tables'.

No spanners?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Just woken up :blink:

Overcast this morning, but it is lovely sat in the warm conservatory! Just going to have a cuppa and then i'll probably either be planning Calshot, or doing coursework... no such fun as going to railway exhibitions :(

Still, at least I can take today slowly and catch up on what I've missed.

Have fun at Ally Pally and any other exhibition or train fair you might be going to.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon - was up this morning at about six, so dog could be walked, and me and Mrs 45156 showered and breakfasted to be at Lancaster station for 07.45 to witness the arrival of the Help for Heroes special. As usual for that pathway (08.10 off Lancaster) they held it at Carnforth to follow the Voyager to Birmingham - shame really, as if they let it away in front, then it could start from Platform 5, which is the down loop, and presents a much more challenging start as there's a reverse curve onto the main, and the train is on that, and the loco is starting on 1 in 94 - makes for some fireworks.

It was a very odd sight indeed with the 8F leading, and Oliver Cromwell masquerading as 70048 Territorial Army behind. I think most of us would have liked to see the Brit leading. 48151 was ex works (I never recall seeing an 8F so clean - why you could even read the number) - and Oliver was also pristine, and with 14 on, the whole train actually hung out of the platform be a couple of vehicles.

Even Mrs 45156 whose knowledge of matters railway is what she has gleaned from 30 years married to me, said that 48151 looked "a bit like a workhorse - indeed, that is what the pairing was, a workhorse and a racehorse. Still any double header these days is a very rare occurence indeed.

The whole event was capped off with my penance - a trip to Morrisons.

Cheers for today

Stewart

Back from 'Fair'.

Purchases:

Half the pieces for a Hornby 00 Girder Bridge. £1

An Airfix 00 Cement Wagon in box but already assembled. 50p

Ration Station Canopy 'N'. £2

Two lengths of Italian Flexitrack 'N'. £4

An unidentified 'N' maroon coach with two buffers and one coupler missing. 50p

Large PVA glue. £3.79

Offered stall holder £2 for small box of 6 odd bits but was refused on the grounds that he could get 30p for each piece.

Not bad for an 80 mile round trip.

Well, back from the Palace and a good time was had by all.....mostly supping beer in front of the bar.icon_e_wink.gif

Managed to collar a bright young chap who looked like he could take a photograph, so a pic of seven ER's will be posted by PhilC shortly.

Thanks guys for a great day. Really enjoyed the banter...We must do it again. icon_thumbsup2.gif

• RMweb Gold

Yes - nice to meet in person and be able to put names to faces. As PhilH said - it seemed like we had known each other for years. I think that is a huge compliment to the way we are on here. Take a bow - but watch you don't bump your heads.

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed the day and meeting up with the usual suspects again as well as two new faces, TonyS and BoD. I even understood some of what BoD was saying.....away the lads and all that. People from north of Winchester don't half talk funny.

• RMweb Gold

I managed to use train, DLR, tube, train again and bus to get to the exhibition. I did get to sit at the front of the DLR train and get a "driver's view".

I didn't buy much, two wagons, a bus, some Busch scenic bits and a couple of MERG kits. It was really nice to meet up those of you I've been chatting to online.

It was also good to see some of the people from the Thamesiders club.

I went home a slightly different way via Finchley Park as I thought the Picadilly/Northern line change might be easier but Kings Cross was still busy. The Northern line was like the rush hour capacity when I got on.

I thought I may have to cook dinner when I got home but the aroma of exotic spices was a hint that my wife had decided to cook something. She did say she was going to study all day but I'm not going to complain.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Pleased the lads had a good time.

Durham - Ally Pally. Sounds like an away match.

Look forward to pics.

C'mon Phil, don't go to sleep yet.

Are you really sure you want to see pictures of ERs before retiring to bed? Actually I'm sure you would have enjoyed the conversation about how to find a volunteer to take the group picture.

Tony

Morning All,

...and a very good morning to you Tommy Mac - correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember seeing you around here before - Welcome.

It is a pretty grey morning here in Germany today. It has been raining, and threatening more.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Well, did all of you from those places where DST is observed reset your clocks? ;) Yes, overcast it is, like Robert said. Wonder how April will turn out, weather-wise.

Not much to report as of yet - wish you all a pleasant day :) .

• RMweb Gold

Morning. I changed the few clocks that needed manually adjusting last night. I noticed yesterday that my mobile phone and iPod clocks had been on summer time all winter.

I just finished watching the middle and end of the GP. I won't say anything in case someone is watching it on time delay!

Apart from walking the dog somewhere I have no idea what I'm doing today. If no-one else gets up soon breakfast will become brunch.

Weather seems quite pleasant at the moment.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Still no breakfast here. I've made tea, fed the dog and staved off morning hunger pangs with a couple of chocolate biscuits. I think I'll be unsociable and eat breakfast by myself very soon. My family seem to be very sensitive to time changes! Though to be honest, Matthew did wake up early, interrogate me about my opinion on the Middle East and then he went back to bed. I think that was essay planning for his homework later today.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

decided to have a nice long lie in seeing as i was at work a silly time yesterday morning.

Off to move a sofa today and try to find a copy of rail express as well.

nice and sunny here and only a couple of white fluffy clouds in the sky.

have a nice sunday all.

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

That photo makes it seem as if were only yesterday! Must be one of the few where I am looking at the camera and haven't shut my eyes!

My plans for today now include a trip to PCworld. My wife has booked two weeks off work to really do some serious work on her dissertation. If it were just a case of wordprocessing she could have my PC but her word files are interlinked to Cite while you Write (Endnote) software and some sort of qualitative textual analysis (whatever that is but it does produce pretty pictures)software. Not having her laptop is apparently very stressful. She said she is reduced to patting the dog to attempt to reduce the blood pressure (apparently this was recommended in some magazine she read at the hairdressers). So I'm off to get a new one. When the other one comes back eventually Matthew can have it to take to University. We'll be poorer but happy!

Tony

• RMweb Gold
She said she is reduced to patting the dog to attempt to reduce the blood pressure (apparently this was recommended in some magazine she read at the hairdressers). So I'm off to get a new one.

Dog, hairdresser or wife?