The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I think you mistyped Sutherland   :beee:

Could be, Beast - they all look the same to me, big green broad gauge things. :jester:   Now our Beyer-Peacocks I can spot which one it is at a distance, they're all slightly different!

Is Hamilton the one that looks like an up-turned bath tub? :O

Mighty thunderstorm for an hour up home this morning about 6am, misty in Douglas now with an atmosphere you could describe as gooey it's so thick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

then later on a letter to write to MRJ which I ought really get on with as I have been asked to write by the publisher (name droppers R'us ;) - and I even have an ER witness, unless he'd got up from the tea table by then?).

My ears are burning .

Having had an ' old school ' upbringing I dont listen to conversations that dont directly involve me ,

so in this instance I am at a loss .

But I will say I have never heard of a magazine ' commisioning ' letters to print .   :jester: 

post-2818-0-60918100-1374578453.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. As you can see with the attached piccie bolts, pins, etc aren't going to be practical. The track rests on the girders of the viaduct. with the tie (sleeper) ends exposed. Yes that's Peco track with the spacing chopped down to match the bridge track spacing in HO.

• RMweb Gold

Andrew

I tend to roughen up the sleeper surface before fixing with superglue. With that many sleeper the glue should be able to hold them down especially that they are recessed underneth.

Another way but fiddly (assuming the bridge deck is also styrene) is to use microstrip to fit into some of the sleeper  recesses then use Britfix Liquid Poly solvent to bond them to the bridge deck. That should stop them moving.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

How were the ties attached to the girders on the real bridges like that? Most of the photos I have in my M&Pa book of bridges seem to have a  loco dangling in space off them.

• RMweb Gold

Have you checked your outside loo?.....

The shed that looks like an outdoor loo seems to have survived!

Just off to the park now that it has stopped raining. The thunder and lightning stopped mid morning.

• RMweb Gold

Andrew I was going to suggest trying a bit of C+L track as the plastic feels different then I saw you wanted HO spacing. It also occurred to me what do Peco recommend for their individulay but the website seems silent on that matter. One other possibility is a hot glue gun but use it sparingly or it may distort the sleepers.

Don

• RMweb Gold

But I will say I have never heard of a magazine ' commisioning ' letters to print .   :jester:

Magazines are notorious for arranging topicality via correspondence columns. E.g. a member of staff has been researching something of interest to him, but hasn't enough material to run a full article. Amazingly, just that month "Fred from Leeds" writes in, enquiring a bit vaguely about just that subject, which can then be answered by this useful filler-size "response".

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Magazines are notorious for arranging topicality via correspondence columns. E.g. a member of staff has been researching something of interest to him, but hasn't enough material to run a full article. Amazingly, just that month "Fred from Leeds" writes in, enquiring a bit vaguely about just that subject, which can then be answered by this useful filler-size "response".

Although in this case the conversation was about something which has appeared in a recently past interview and correcting something (in a photo caption) plus expanding very considerably on the original caption text. Mind you it might lead to further developments of the subject in the future - and it relates to diesels!

And it's nice to have it confirmed that  Sidecar Mike is the well brought-up bloke I've always thought him to be. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to lower the tone a bit here is some pink scenery!

post-6719-0-69160500-1374597222_thumb.jpg

The station I am (very loosely) modelling is set in a cutting. So I thought I should do some cutting.

The September edition of Model Railroader arrived today and there is (on page 50) a bird's eye view of an open top girder bridge like Andrew's (except it is straight) showing the bridge track on such a structure.

• Like 1

Looks like you can post whatever you want on this thread...

I havent made a proper post here yet, so here's a few pictures of the IRRS 071 Railtour on Saturday:

071 and 073

Ffestiniog No. 1, "Princess," on temporary static display at Heuston

GSWR 2-2-2 No. 36 on static display at Cork Kent

NIR 209, "River Foyle," at Cork Kent. Have been looking for this loco for ages!

IÉ 231, "Abhainn na Maighe/River Maigue," at Newry. One of the few 201s on the enterprise route I hadn't seen before.

Oh, yes, the weather is very good, 18 degrees and very sunny.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Started rumbly, then stopped, then started, then stopped - and that was this morning.  Right now, it's distant rumbly, with a lead coloured sky, and I thought "I'll just get the dog walked before it kicks off" - I didn't, and my shirt and trousers are now hanging up to dry.

Took Lily to the vet's again for her periodic ear check ("one's still rubbish - keep using the drops") and scar check as she's got a moist sticky lump on her op. scar ("it's a reaction to the viocral which is dissolving and causing hydration") and annual health check and innoculation ("that'll be £58, please").  I'm in the wrong trade.

Anyhow, I'm off as I need to use the computer for more serious things matters other than RMWeb.

Regards to All

Stewart

ps thanks BOD for the picture of Oor Wullie - Scotland's most famous schoolboy/rogue/comedy turn (that's for the non Scots who wonder who the character is)

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all...

Clouding over again, but I wouldn't bet on any immediate precipitation as of yet. Though I'd certainly welcome it after yet another oppressively hot day!

Of course, this kind of weather could explain a story from Saxony I just read. Cue a band of blokes from the countryside who, drunkenly, cut away the roof from an older Beemer, painted the interior blue and filled it up with water. Unfortunately for them, they attempted to go cruising with their mobile pool, which caught the attention of the police.

The people concerned are now under investigation for drunk driving and possible other offences to do with operating an uncertified motor vehicle.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry & slightly cooler at 16oC, sunny & looks like it will be a lovely day.

Hectic here yesterday with kids here after school for the last time for 6 weeks. Very proud GB because all 3 of them have got excellent end of term reports, Joe is now moving on to senior school & the comments made by his teachers brought a few tears to his Mum's eyes. (& others)

We hadn't seen Abbie for over a week as she has been in Spain with her school. She is a very mature 14 y.o but in that short space of time seems even more so. They're growing up too fast! As for our little Gemma, at the beginning of the school year she was finding things a bit hard but has turned it round big time. Unlike her brother & sister she is still small for her age but is quite able to stand up for herself. Apparently "she is very good at solving playground disputes".

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

Morning All,

Oops - What happened there then?

I am surprised to be first this morning.

Yes Jawfin, you can post pretty much anything around here.  Welcome to ERs!  Nice pics by the way.

The weather is still much too hot, but thunderstorms are forecast, so perhaps it will cool down later.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 3

Good Morning  and happy Hump day All,   

Raining hard here at the moment & I've got to go and do a site survey!    (With any luck the site will be flooded & I can go home!)  .

I'll add my welcome to Jawfin too,  as Robert says pretty much anything gets put on here (including the odd pictures of trains & models), 

Try and find some thing to smile at today, 

Trev

• Like 1