The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

As a Lutyens fan, I have to say Drogo is off-the-scale gorgeous, so the fact that NT has finally got to the bottom of the leaks is great news. I'm still a paying member 9 years after leaving the UK, so like to think my money is helping a little!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Actuaries are all too aware that not all of us reach retirement age, and many of us do not live to enjoy a long and healthy retirement. Getting out when the sums make some sort of sense, in the knowledge that you may have a good time for a while, is a lot better than soldiering on with the risk of missing out completely on the good years. Obviously people who enjoy a stress-free working environment and love what they do may be an exception - but those people are probably fewer in number in 2013 than in many previous decades. I'd say Aditi should go the moment she is 60.

I agree absolutely Ian - the pressures that are around nowadays from bean counters and younger - often inexperienced - senior managers whose main aim is to please and move on quickly put a lot of pressure onto the 'old hands' who know what they're at and have to pick up the pieces or make the unworkable work.  It is hardly surprising taht so many folk take early retirement from jobs where they are under pressure but particularly the pressure to sort out the 'errors' of others.

Aditi will undoubtedly come out of work feeling very much at a loose end Tony and you'll clearly need to quickly get her involved in whatever you can find to occupy her and use her skills but I bet that within 6 months she would be wondering firstly how she ever found time to go to work and secondly why she didn't retire earlier.  Tell her to grab it while the chance is there because pension provision isn't going to get any better.

• RMweb Premium

I ordered a TV/internet/phone package for our new place in Leipzig earlier this afternoon. I asked the company to ship the hardware to our present place, so that I can take it with me and set it up when we're going there to receive the keys next Friday. We'll be staying till Tuesday after that as I'll be given my employment certificate on Monday, the 29th.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Will you lot bee hive yourselves.

Busy BEE taking a break.

Congrats to BEE spotters on their great pics.

Congrats to Dr Station Cat and proud parents - pics that are bound to BEE in the photo album.

Looking forward to your US pics, Dave, but don't push it too soon.  "Soon" will Bee soon enough. :D

Debs, good to see you on here, and no doubt there'll BEE some more collie antics to follow.

And everyone else...well, just keep it a-coming...it will BEE interesting / amusing / heartaching / typical ER stuff...and we'll BEE lovin' it.

Polly

A trifle corny...? :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

I ordered a TV/internet/phone package for our new place in Leipzig earlier this afternoon. I asked the company to ship the hardware to our present place, so that I can take it with me and set it up when we're going there to receive the keys next Friday. We'll be staying till Tuesday after that as I'll be given my employment certificate on Monday, the 29th.

Hope the move goes well for you

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree absolutely Ian - the pressures that are around nowadays from bean counters and younger - often inexperienced - senior managers whose main aim is to please and move on quickly put a lot of pressure onto the 'old hands' who know what they're at and have to pick up the pieces or make the unworkable work.  It is hardly surprising taht so many folk take early retirement from jobs where they are under pressure but particularly the pressure to sort out the 'errors' of others.

snip<

That puts the finger right on it....the police and NHS are terrible for it too, one boss changes something (as above) the next boss changes it back, they both get credit for a job well done while the troops have to try to make sense of it all.

Dr Station Cat looks like the cat that got the cream! Congratulations. Deb's (NHN version) nephew graduated as MA this week too, Automotive design. It appears the next wave of VW's may have some of his influence in them.

Sunny on FR now, bedroom managing to stay at about 25c but there is a decent breeze so it should cool later. He thinks.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On an fGW 166 full and standing beyond Wokingham from Reading to Gatwick.

The air con has failed.

Plenty of units sitting in the new depot at Reading.

FGW should be shot for this!

I can see a few emails being sent to FGW but I doubt it will make any difference based on email conversations with other local TOCS who quite happily deny any problems and FGW are one of the worst IMHO.

No wonder the conductor isn't checking any tickets at the unstaffed station s

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Congrats to Dr Station Cat.

Go for it Phil and Aditi. My father was due to retire at 60 but was aked to stay on as General Manager when a a new Chairman took over he retired at 64 on a higer pension than I've ever had salary. However by 70 is help was suffering and soon couldn't manage 18 holes then could only manage bowls by 75 he had to garden sitting on a chair. So when I was offered voluntary redundancy and a pension from 50 (enhanced by 6.6years) I took it. Extra money may seem nice but extra life seems better to me. I did work self employed some of the time but very much on a please yourself basis. Perhaps because we have dogs to walk, do a lot of DIY, enjoy gardening not only have I never missed work but I still have difficulty finding time for modelling.

Some pages back DD mentioned he would feel cheated if abroad during this grand weather. The answer is simple come to the Isle of Wight. The ferry crossing makes it feel abroad. The weather has been grand. There are enough foreigners working in the restaurants,hotels, cafes and bars to give a continental flavour and you can still enjoy the fun of trying to make yourself understood. What more could you ask for?

The only down side is school holidays have started. Most parents seemed to have abandoned the idea of looking after their children. Is this what is meant by care in the community?

Regards all

Don 

edit for a missing n't and an only

Edited by Donw
  • Like 1

Incidentally I've only been on medication for high blood pressure since I retired - but don't tell Aditi.

Me too and I "retired" at age 47.... Strange that isn't it?

Mind you I was bringing up a daughter who was six months old when I was 47.......

Good fun but I wouldn't fancy repeating it if I had a "rerun".

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Stewart. So do I, and dearly so...

Our stuff will be shipped over on August 6 and 7, which is to say, they'll be picking it up on the 6th, drive over to Leipzig and lock up the lorry for the night on the company's guarded site. Unloading will then take place on the 7th.

We moved into our current house 16 years ago  - for various reasons it was stressful!

When it was all over I told Mrs Danemouth that the next permanent move I made would involve an undertaker!

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

cold day umpiring - the T20 was good though with 5 needed off the last ball - but only 1 scored. AND a batsman WALKED!!  - I congratulated him and his response was "everyone should do it"  - good lad!

watching tehTest highlights and then may look at the O gauge 47 i have to weather.....

• Like 1

Aditi will undoubtedly come out of work feeling very much at a loose end Tony and you'll clearly need to quickly get her involved in whatever you can find to occupy her and use her skills but I bet that within 6 months she would be wondering firstly how she ever found time to go to work and secondly why she didn't retire earlier.  Tell her to grab it while the chance is there because pension provision isn't going to get any better.

Not only do I agree with the comments of Ian and Mike but, as a private sector previously employed person, my experience is that the new chapter one opens on leaving FT employment offers many opportunities. With what I guess from Tony's submissions to be Aditi's skills, contacts and experience, she may well find some consultancy opportunities present themselves if she chooses to follow them. As I and some friends found, this offers the benefits of not shutting down the work ethos in one hit, of perhaps some extra income to support the transition and the wait for her state pension to kick in (may not be needed in your case but is always welcome) and of the chance to keep meeting people at a pace that is more suited to your circumstances. Your health is the most important thing on your life, without it you are restricted and unable to fulfil what you want to do for those around you.

Some pages back DD mentioned he would feel cheated if abroad during this grand weather. The answer is simple come to the Isle of Wight. The ferry crossing makes it feel abroad. The weather has been grand. There are enough foreigners working in the restaurants,hotels, cafes and bars to give a continental flavour and you can still enjoy the fun of trying to make yourself understood. What more could you ask for?

The only down side is school holidays have started. Most parents seemed to have abandoned the idea of looking after their children. Is this what is meant by care in the community?

Regards all

Don 

edit for a missing n't and an only

-----------------------------------------------

I'll second Don's suggestion of the IoW as a foreign holiday. Although I grew up on it in the 50's and early 60's, I went back in May and even Madam Gruff (who takes some pleasing) says she wants to visit again. Perhaps September this year or June next I guess.

BTW, this form of care in the community is not peculiar to your area Don!

Edit to separate Don's comments from mine. 

Edited by Gruffalo

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely knac tired out so no pictures tonight - I cheered Jill up with a second photographic trip, this time to photograph a DRS 47.

I need sleep but don't want to go too early as I need to move my sleep pattern to the regular UK one.

'til tomorrow.

We're now told that MiL fell in the bathroom in Sweden and cut her (replacement) knee quite badly.

Two visits to a Health Provider.

There will be more to come over the next few weeks as details emerge.

I think she's addicted to brake fluid but she says she can stop anytime.

• RMweb Gold

We're now told that MiL fell in the bathroom in Sweden and cut her (replacement) knee quite badly.

Two visits to a Health Provider.

There will be more to come over the next few weeks as details emerge.

I think she's addicted to brake fluid but she says she can stop anytime.

Was the trip to Sweden something they had done before? I've only had a day trip to Sweden, we drove from Copenhagen. It was a Sunday and there wasn't much happening. 

Tony

Morning all,  

Crackin set of pics Neil,  especially  the crane on the barge. (Put away for a future project)  

Hope every one has a good Monday.....been raining heavily all night here,  flooded roads await me!  

Try and do something interesting today

Trev