The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I'm not sure but I think most Macs have them built in.

However, I have them inline too.

I own portable MacBooks so am unsure about the "rigid" Mac. In its present guise, it is a lovely machine and I am sort of tempted to acquire a big screen one but Madam Gruffalo will separate me from certain appendages if I do that and don't buy her a new sun-lounger!

Next time you think you hear something in your head, you'd better get it checked out.....

http://news.sky.com/story/1116630/flesh-eating-maggots-in-ear-britons-horror

whilst sorry for the woman, there are some very humorous bits in the story:

"she developed a headache after going on holiday with her boyfriend" - I thought such headaches only occurred to married people.

"experts identified the maggots as those of a screworm..." - 'nuff said! 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

it's hot again, might even get 'very hot' and apparently the Met Office have raised their hot weather warning by a notch and we're up to Level 3 in the 'south east' (looks ok for Tony though as 'south east' excludes the north bank of the river although would appear to stretch as far as the southern edge of Northamptonshire  :scratchhead:)  anyway here's a translation for those of us who don't understand such things -

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/

So with that useful information we're definitely going out in the car once herself has had her hair 'done' - thank goodness for mobile aircon.  And may all your track expansion problems be little ones.

Have a good day one & all

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry, sunny, 26oC, getting hotter but apparently there is a possibility of a heavy downpour later.

I'm having trouble even thinking about trying to summon up the effort required to summon up the enthusiasm to summon up the energy to do something.

In fact I've just flattened my batteries typing this!

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Last day in work tomorrow - then off to Cornwall. And this is the beach, about ten minutes from the campsite, where we walk the dogs.

Can we assume that you'll be "camping it up" then?

How are you feeling btw?

Best, Pete.

Good day all. Recovering from the past 2 work days from hell on client site. No air con, no air period. Idiots and rampant d*****-baggery going on. Was one more straw away from walking out.

Back to working from home today in cool comfort and the idiot causing my problems has been shunted off for now.

To everyone off on hols, have a great time and enjoy yourselves. 9 work days till our turn comes.

It's 9:00am and already 28C.............

Thank God for A/C!

I love Andrew's Work posts! Took me two minutes to work out today's banned word. **** ** ****!

By the way was there really a very rude song about Scunthorpe??????

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I love Andrew's Work posts! Took me two minutes to work out today's banned word. **** ** ****!

Matthew seems to have acquired a few choice phrases from his time in North America, so I had no problem with Andrew's word. Actually when Aditi comes home after a "difficult" day she always amuses me with her "I was quite cross".

• Like 2

Don't know that one, but there was an alternative version of "Typhoo put the T in Britain" ......

It's very similar.

Except it starts with: "Who put the......." very catchy, jaunty toon.

I was coming back from a funeral when my cousin, (a very noted Professional Ornithologist, Books and TV - now retired) started singing it!

I thought he may have made it up on the spot....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

It's 9:00am and already 28C.............

Thank God for A/C!

Best, Pete.

That's because we are both bilingual. English and American. (a childhood with cable tv and channels from Spokane to influence me) Interesting that the d-bag phrase has come back to life. We used that in school way back when. I've been hearing it on a few American tv programmes lately but hadn't heard it in over 30 years. I guess its becoming a polite Hollywood euphemism for the C word.  Sort of like Father Ted's feck.

• RMweb Gold

Language and its usage is a funny thing - and the way words drift in and out of usage ditto.

E.g, when my Scots friend had been having kittens that there might be an intruder in her big house - there wasn't, as far as we could tell afterwards - she sensibly armed herself with a kitchen knife. I described this as a dirk - yet she didn't know the word. She is educated, from Edinburgh (where they allegedly speak the best English - what happens if Scotland separates?!) yet was not familiar with the name of a traditional Scots dagger.

In my yoof, I learned that a country cottage in French is a chaumiere, yet when I used that word with our host when we stayed in one a decade ago, the lady had never heard the word. She is now mayor of her commune, and a radiographer by profession, so not uneducated, either.

• RMweb Premium

Just aquire a teenager show them his post and your answer will appear, I will refrain from adding 'Simples' as I suspect it is as passe as 'wazup' etc

Edited by skipepsi

• RMweb Premium

Beware of mating Henries!

alas poor Henries - the sparkie had to mend one today - the other has gone to the Henry mound in the sky

Now waiting for the dry wallers (plasterers) and plumbers

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A cool morning, currently only 20C but 90% humidity - the temperature will rise rapidly, very, once the clouds get chased off - it will be over 30C in a hour or two.

Two more working days, then a short morning waving goodbye and off to LAX, and home again - yippeee.

Try the language over here - we are definitely separated by a common one as they look blank at me, I can't work out if it's my Scouse  accent, my English accent, my colloquial terms or my English terms that confuse, they just look at me and smile, unknowingly - they like calling me "dude!" a lot - a great bunch of people though.

Tonight we are visiting a bar that has 200 beers ... might be a late start tomorrow.

Tomorrow we are going to a pier, and hopefully I can photograph the Surfliner train with some surf, and maybe even some of the local sights, the beach has a lot of them apparently, with Daisy Duke bikinis .... it'll be tough but I'll do it for you lot.

Have a good day / afternoon etc.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just aquire a teeager show them his post and your answer will appear, I will refrain from adding 'Simples' as I suspect it is as passe as 'wazup' etc

At my previous school, it seemed to be common for pupils mocking each other by saying, "you victim", or to call each other "you leek" when exasperated.

• Like 1