The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Mike (with the smelly bed, not the Mike in Scotland), Is it a memory foam mattress? According to one website NASA didn't permit them to go in orbit as opening the window to let the smell out wasn't that sensible! Apparently they do take time to de-gas but the same website said some people still notice it after a few days or a week. Allegedly some people always notice it.

Tony

Yes Tony, it is memory foam although we were not warned it would smell (and definitely not warned that it would smell like stagnant ditch water) and the smell very definitely didn't abate at all in a period of 5 days before we raised the matter with them suppliers - hence us raising it with them.  At first we wondered if it had got damp inside the polythene bag in which it came but there is no feeling of dampness at all and even with the bedroom windows left open for most of the day the smell was permeating the upstairs of the house, the bed linen and our own bedclothes which hardly strikes me as a way to live and try to sleep.

It is regrettably more complicated than that - hence a health warning not to buy from Dreams.  They say they need 'an independent assessment' and a firm called Homeserve (currently under investigation by the FSA as it happens) do the assessing - leaving me wondering if they happen to be a charity or if Dreams are paying them because I definitely am not.  So Dreams will only take it back if the 'independent assessor' says it isn't fit for purpose, the consumer effectively has no voice in this at all.  all seems to be a big hole in consumer protection legislation.

If you bought it using a credit card (assuming it is of sufficient value), you have redress against the credit card company and they in turn would take up the matter with Dreams. Dreams and their ilk rely upon credit card companies a lot so would be less than happy to have their arrangements turned off or have to pay more for their transactions!

• RMweb Gold

If you bought it using a credit card (assuming it is of sufficient value), you have redress against the credit card company and they in turn would take up the matter with Dreams. Dreams and their ilk rely upon credit card companies a lot so would be less than happy to have their arrangements turned off or have to pay more for their transactions!

That is already the second string to the bow of retribution thanks Gruff - Mrs Stationmaster having consulted Barclaycard (other providers available) several days back in case the first string breaks. I'm sure Dreams would be less than chuffed to lose the best part of a thousand quid but I am coming round to the conclusion that's about as much as they appear to deserve.

• RMweb Gold

Yes Tony, it is memory foam although we were not warned it would smell (and definitely not warned that it would smell like stagnant ditch water) and the smell very definitely didn't abate at all in a period of 5 days before we raised the matter with them suppliers - hence us raising it with them.  At first we wondered if it had got damp inside the polythene bag in which it came but there is no feeling of dampness at all and even with the bedroom windows left open for most of the day the smell was permeating the upstairs of the house, the bed linen and our own bedclothes which hardly strikes me as a way to live and try to sleep.

Here is the smelly foam link.

When I used a lot of sealant when constructing the en-suite some years ago it seemed to smell unpleasantly vinegary to me. Aditi just kept obsessing about chips! 

Here is the smelly foam link.

When I used a lot of sealant when constructing the en-suite some years ago it seemed to smell unpleasantly vinegary to me. Aditi just kept obsessing about chips! 

Acetic acid and ureic acid both can give off this smell. Most "silicon sealants" have one or other added to allow the resin to cure when the stabilising acid gases off. Ididn't know I could hide having fish'n'chips in bed though!

Thanks Mick! Still alive. The Treasurer never gets to relax. Thankfully I delegated the selling of 1000 raffle tickets this year I still had to keep the bar supplied with change and as a result nearly missed having a main course.

• RMweb Gold

Acetic acid and ureic acid both can give off this smell. Most "silicon sealants" have one or other added to allow the resin to cure when the stabilising acid gases off. Ididn't know I could hide having fish'n'chips in bed though!

I think that should be silicone sealant!

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/Evening All

All caught up, and wondering how the following chain of events can happen:

Bissell Carpet shampooer breaks down as the brushes won't turn.

Take it to local repair shop.

Get a phone call saying they've examined it, and it needs "some parts".

Things go quiet even though I give the go-ahead for the work.

Visit the shop and am told they are waiting for a new motor from Bissell

VIsit the shop again, and get the same answer.

Phone call to say that they can't get it dismantled so they can't repair it.

Now how did they know what parts it needed if they can't dismantle it?

I haven't spoken to the repairman or the maker, but it seems a bit of a rum 'un.

DInner's on the go, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Following a Facebook comment (also an ER!)  I checked to see what a heatwave was round here and it would need to be days of 31C.

Although it isn't therefore a heatwave we have had dinner outside for 2 consecutive days. We are not being bothered by mosquitoes either which is nice. The marshes near here used to be famous for the Pitsea Ague and although the mossies are no longer the malarial kind they can be a bit ferocious.

Matthew went off this afternoon to see a friend and then is off to the local young persons centre to play Warhammer (table top war gaming fantasy gaming) after the compulsory religious discussion group. I haven't observed any thunderbolts so he must have behaved himself.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After my expert advice to others, I've just ordered a new dishwasher.

A 23 year old Swedish blonde.

I think it is cheaper if you buy them in packs of three.

The ones with scrubbers on one side work best.

Nationality is not really an issue.

• RMweb Gold

I think it is cheaper if you buy them in packs of three.

The ones with scrubbers on one side work best.

Nationality is not really an issue.

:O I think having a trio of Swedish scrubbers on the side, might be going too far! :mosking:

I think our first not "Made in Britain" kitchen appliance was Swedish. Very daring in the 1970s buying something "foreign".

Morning all,

hot again and one day we might have tomatoes to ripen - masses of flowers but no fruit whatsoever thus far so herself has been giving them a bit of hand fertilisation, I hope it doesn't make her go blind.

Mike, if she has not already done tell her to put a tablespoon of "Epsom Salts" around the base of each Tomato plant. Repeat every two weeks...

So who's now wearing shorts? I've been wearing them since the beginning of May......

post-9016-0-73343700-1374019352.jpg

Sample shot with my late pal Baz.

Best, Pete.

• Like 5