The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very pleasant outside this morning, warm but hazy.

Pete. I was surprised to read about Dave (Beast) being sent to and fro via somewhere else. Perhaps he will be having a quiet word with whoever booked the flight. My technique is to use Expedia to look at the options and then see if I can get the same price from the airlines own website. If you don't select the "direct" option Expedia offers some weird and wonderful routeing. A couple of years ago when Matthew went to Vietnam it wasn't possible to fly direct to Hanoi from London. He could either change in Paris, Warsaw, Moscow or Hong Kong depending on the airline. He flew Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. It was also the cheapest!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

sunshine is here again, so is a neighbour's cat which seems to have worked out that we have a vacancy so despite her being a very friendly soul she is getting  a lot of discouraging - all too soon, and far from neighbourly. (interrupted in order to assist in ejection of said cat)

I dunno about DD's escalonia (slosh plenty of WD 40 on cutting equipment before starting work, helps keep/get the sticky bits off) but our grass is getting awful long and looking seriously uncut - it will stay that way in this hot weather.

Big excitement today is the expected visit of 'an independent assessor' to decide if our new mattress which smells of ditchwater 'isn't fit for the purpose for which it was sold' - alas the Custimer Disservice dept at Dreams don't believe you when you say it still stinks after 4 days and the ditchwater smell is not abating, seems their 'no quibble guarantee' has more quibbles than whatever happens to have a lot of quibbles.  Fingers are firmly crossed and we've been sleeping(ish) in the spare bedroom for a week (so far).

Have a good day one and all.

PS My past, occasional, employer also found Cathay Pacific represented one of the cheaper ways to get round that side of the world -very nice airline I found and I can thoroughly recommend the noodles in their HK transit lounge!

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Yesterday's mirky mist/cloud cleared up so sun and haze now.  Looks like another good day for looking out the window while getting on with the layout though I'm sure we can find a good excuse to get out for a bit.  :sungum:

Well, we certainly picked a good time to have solar panels fitted! The average amount the eight we have should produce each day in July is 11kwh and we're getting at least 13 so far.

From today we shall be in France for a month so my postings will be sporadic. There is Wifi on site but only accessible from the bar area. Tough times!!

Hope the sun continues to shine on you wherever you are and everyone enjoys the rest of the summer.

Au revoir, mes amis!

Bon voyage, Sherry.  Enjoy your stay in France. Is this le camping or l'hotel:laugh:

In my 30s had multiple sessions with a dentist who did the canal root thing on all my upper teeth.

In my 50s all my front upper teeth broke off at gum level!

I used my teeth as my left hand, unscrewing tubes of glue being the major factor.

I am now left handless as well s upper toothless.

Cold (17C) as well as wet today and the same expected tomorrow and  Thursday.

Interesting Don.  I used to use my teeth as spare scissors for breaking thread when sewing/doing embroidery until one of the front teeth chipped - then I stopped.  Can't put that reason down to the decline of the rest of my teeth, though....

Just reporting in from Brigton as I am on Holiday.

Weather Sun is just breaking through.

Is Modelzone in Brighton still open?

Are there any other local model shops worth a visit while I am on holiday down here?

Eltel

I used to think of big waves breaking on the shore and long pebble beaches when anyone mentioned Brighton.  Now it's the Brighton Belle and the curved canopied station filled with Southern liveried EMUS.  Have I got old or something?   :scratchhead:

Anyway, enjoy your holiday and hope you get to a model shop.

Teeth and holidays.  What a combination, this morning.

Have a good day all.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have a nice break, Eltel - can't help with model shops but someone will.

I visited a "Wildlife Reserve" yesterday.

Difficult to access and involving a two mile yomp, it yielded O wildlife.

In fact, if there had been an example of wildlife it would have pined away from loneliness.

Even I know that serried rows of conifers are not the ideal setting for our fellow life forms.

If you were cross and angry at this then the sign has fulfilled its description.

'Wild?  I was furious!'

The weather here is a lot cooler today and quite overcast.  I am going to wash the cars this morning before I am prompted to do so by the Obergrumpenfuhrer.

She has a knack for 'suggesting' for such taskings, usually at completely the wrong time (for me).

I can only say she must have gone to the same training school as Mrs Stationmaster, the esteemed mother of Dr Station Cat, and keeper of Mike.

The news of Ashers and her elevation to a supplier of the nations power requirements is just shocking.

Bucket, soap, water etc

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Well the 'independent assessor' has been, and gone, and notwithstanding me asking his employers to make sure they sent someone with a good sense of smell they sent someone who had a nose injury years ago and has hardly got any sense of smell whatsoever.  We now await an appointment for one with a sense of smell!

• RMweb Gold

I bet you were incensed by that!

I still am - right b.o.w.  He came back again and said that his boss has said we need to let it air for 2-3 weeks - well it had nearly a week and i was feeling somewhat sick gettiing into it at night plus the smell was permeating the bedclothes and you could even small it when going upstairs.  Hence we moved to the spare room and put its bag back on it to save it stinking the house out.  Right bunch of crafty b*ggers they all seem to be - we weren't told there would be any need to air it and in any case how would we be able to air it if we were sleeping on it and didn't have a spare bed?

• RMweb Gold

He came back again and said that his boss has said we need to let it air for 2-3 weeks - 

Blimey - that's a new one! What do they suggest? Perhaps you should hang it on the washing line or maybe put it in the airing cupboard!

Talking of keepers I have been told that I've "kept well for my age".

I hope that doesn't imply that I appear to be permanently pickled!  :nono:  :drinks:

Has the smell of your personal stock of formaldehyde migrated to south Oxon and into Mike's mattress?

:jester:  

• Like 1

I still am - right b.o.w.  He came back again and said that his boss has said we need to let it air for 2-3 weeks - well it had nearly a week and i was feeling somewhat sick gettiing into it at night plus the smell was permeating the bedclothes and you could even small it when going upstairs.  Hence we moved to the spare room and put its bag back on it to save it stinking the house out.  Right bunch of crafty b*ggers they all seem to be - we weren't told there would be any need to air it and in any case how would we be able to air it if we were sleeping on it and didn't have a spare bed?

Trading standards beckon methinks. You cannot use it due to the smell so the supplier has not sold you something fit for purpose. If they believe it will be ok if aired for 2-3 weeks, they are responsible for doing that - in the middle of their store display would be a good place!

Will they let you have an aired version in the meantime - making room for your "requires airing" mattress in the meantime?

• Like 1

Morning all. Yesterday's mirky mist/cloud cleared up so sun and haze now.  Looks like another good day for looking out the window while getting on with the layout though I'm sure we can find a good excuse to get out for a bit.  :sungum:  Bon voyage, Sherry.  Enjoy your stay in France. Is this le camping or l'hotel:laugh: 

Anyway, enjoy your holiday and hope you get to a model shop. Teeth and holidays.  What a combination, this morning. Have a good day all. Polly

Thank you! We own a mobile home on a site in Basse Normandie which is in a very rural,"untouristy" part. Relaxation guaranteed!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you! We own a mobile home on a site in Basse Normandie which is in a very rural,"untouristy" part. Relaxation guaranteed!

Sounds like a good place to be, Sherry - do enjoy your stay! :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Trading standards beckon methinks. You cannot use it due to the smell so the supplier has not sold you something fit for purpose. If they believe it will be ok if aired for 2-3 weeks, they are responsible for doing that - in the middle of their store display would be a good place!

Will they let you have an aired version in the meantime - making room for your "requires airing" mattress in the meantime?

It is regrettably more complicated than that - hence a health warning not to buy from Dreams.  They say they need 'an independent assessment' and a firm called Homeserve (currently under investigation by the FSA as it happens) do the assessing - leaving me wondering if they happen to be a charity or if Dreams are paying them because I definitely am not.  So Dreams will only take it back if the 'independent assessor' says it isn't fit for purpose, the consumer effectively has no voice in this at all.  all seems to be a big hole in consumer protection legislation.

Only if you submit to their 'rules', Mike.

Tell them you want your money back and the offending item removed within 48 hours or you will charge them storage and take them to Court.

It will be Small Claims so it doesn't cost much and they will have to pay the costs.

Get written witness statements from respectable professional people of the odour while it is still pungent.

• Like 2

Afternoon all! Pretty busy at the moment, feel like my feet haven't touched the ground in weeks, yet very little seems to have got done.

I did manage to collect my 6 Royal Scotsman coaches which had kindly been brought up to Scotland by Mark of this parish after their guest appearance on Rannoch at DEMU a week ago.  There are still 3 to come, the observation car is awaiting its etch from Shawplan to complete it.

• RMweb Gold

It is regrettably more complicated than that - hence a health warning not to buy from Dreams.  They say they need 'an independent assessment' and a firm called Homeserve (currently under investigation by the FSA as it happens) do the assessing - leaving me wondering if they happen to be a charity or if Dreams are paying them because I definitely am not.  So Dreams will only take it back if the 'independent assessor' says it isn't fit for purpose, the consumer effectively has no voice in this at all.  all seems to be a big hole in consumer protection legislation.

The last mattress we bought came from John Lewis and the only memorable thing about the purchase was the delivery man asking if he could see the dog!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mike (with the smelly bed, not the Mike in Scotland), Is it a memory foam mattress? According to one website NASA didn't permit them to go in orbit as opening the window to let the smell out wasn't that sensible! Apparently they do take time to de-gas but the same website said some people still notice it after a few days or a week. Allegedly some people always notice it.

Tony