The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Walked the dogs from Pett to Pett Level then up the clift path to Fairlight and into the country path. Us and the dogs very hot by then. The cafe where we were expecting to lunch was closed Tuesdays to Sundays only. Walked back down to Fairlight and along to the Pub. Lunches served Tuesday to Sunday. Revived with Beer and Cider walked to the Shop but no sandwiches or anything similar. What gives is it a fasting day? So lunch was a packet of crisps and ice cream and a cake. The second lunch about 4pm was much better when we got back.  I think the dogs were less tired than me after a five hour walk. The small terrier only had to be carried through the thistles.

Moving on again tomorrow probably no wifi on the next site.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Today was one of those awful admin days where nothing seems to go quite right.

I couldn't book an appointment to see the GP because the letter from the consultant about my cataracts had not yet arrived (Only been three weeks so far)

(Then read an article in the newspaper about the NHS cutting back on cataract surgery.)

Couldn't get any Sikkens wood preservative from Jewsons (who are an approved supplier) the nearest tin was at their Craven Arms outlet.

Then went for a hair cut.

Then booked the car in for a service.  They wanted to book it in for an MoT, and couldn't seem to get around the fact that it had been done elsewhere.

Then they told me it was way overdue:  I pointed out that it might be in time (3 weeks) but the car had done less than 5000 miles since their last mega expensive oil change and coolant check (13 months)

Then I needed to zero an air rifle I'm taking to the CLA Game Fair at Ragley on Fri/Sat/Sun  this week.

The rifle was firing low and left despite full adjustment on the 'scope.  I even packed it out, but still it would not shoot consistently.

Next plan was to fit  a different, but proven 'scope from another rifle.

Same problem!

So I took everthing to pieces and inspected all the various parts.

Inside the moderator (silencer) was a couple of burrs on one side of the bore, so I reassembled everything and started shooting sans moderator.

Now everything is high and to the right:  with a few adjustments I tried again, but 6 shots only produced one hole....................but on closer examination, it was a big hole.  all the shots were one on top of the other, which was promising.

I then went and gave the moderator a good reaming in the lathe, which increased the bore slightly and removed the burrs 

Back on the rifle and then a few more minor adjustments and all is well again.

It's interesting to note that the moderator makes a huge difference to the muzzle 'crack' especially on a short barreled rifle.

A quick trip to the railway club this evening and a dog walk once it is cooler will round the day off.

Tomorrow it will be back in the garden!

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Evening All, 

While you lot have been basking in tropical heat and sunshine, some of us have had to take shelter in various switch rooms! (Due to tropical rain storms).  Including this fella, who looks a bit like an early areo-plane from above?  

The round shape at the bottom of the photo  is the toe of one of my size 12's!  No I didn't kick or stamp on it, just left the door open!

post-4282-0-46026800-1373914038.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

BNSF are relatively enlightened. If you go to their website you can sign up for "Friends of BNSF"(something like that, anyway) - you then receive some genuinely interesting Emails about the company at a human level - it's quite entertaining...

I see you're coming back from LAX, so I'm assuming that you got a direct flight? That's good. Flight times to London are usually shorter than the other way around due to prevailing winds.

Look forward to your photos once you get back and settled in with your family.

Best, Pete.

The local guy mentioned the Friends of BNSF thing, he has a membership card.

Sadly my flight is via a Detroit change, not too happy about this as any delay on LAX -> Detroit could have interesting consequences, i.e me stuck in Detroit - unnecessary hassle and something I specifically asked to be avoided - it also adds to my journey time which will now be about 35 actual hours from leaving here to getting home.

Photos will appear as soon as I'm awake again - 3 weeks on Sunday !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A cloudier afternoon made the heat less oppressive into the evening, so after dinner on the terrasse I went over to the barbecue lawn and sat in the dusk until nearly 11. A few moths around, and all the cats intrigued to have Dad about. We spend so much time complaining about cold and wet weather, I just feel I need to max out when it's nice!

Sleep well, all!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We had dinner outside tonight. Matthew cooked one of his recipes that he invented when he was living in Leicester. Many types of beans were involved! It is so easy to fire up the new barbecue we cooked a few things on that as well. We have sat out more in the last few weeks than we have for years!

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Been and gone, I'm afraid. See previous posts with photos.

I measured the volume in my backyard at over 100db. Luckily they only sang in the daylight hours.

I did see the previous Pete , I just thought that being a musician you might enjoy and encore .

• Like 1

Dave, Which airline are you flying with ? Might be worth a quick phone call to see what's what....or the people you are with's Agent?

There are  literally craploads of direct flights from LAX to London every day.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Dave, Which airline are you flying with ? Might be worth a quick phone call to see what's what....or the people you are with's Agent?

There are  literally craploads of direct flights from LAX to London every day.

Best, Pete.

I already tried that Pete - apparently I'm stuck with what I've got, but I'm going to check again tomorrow just in case.

• RMweb Gold

Gooooooooooood Mooooooooooooooorning  aaaaaallllllll!

Dull & very muggy start to the day, 19oC and climbing. It's going to be another hot one.

Not much planned today apart from grandchildren visiting as usual after school. Only the two smaller varieties will be here today - the larger one is in Spain apparently having the time of her life. Sounds great but they went all the way by coach & even with aircon I wouldn't have fancied that!

Nothing to report on the tooth front which is good - if I can't feel a thing he's hopefully done it right!!

Have a good one!

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Good morning all,  another day of meetings & Corporate ****.........  dont particularly enjoy being told how to do my job by "children" ........'nough said.

Try and be good today,

Trev. 

Well, we certainly picked a good time to have solar panels fitted! The average amount the eight we have should produce each day in July is 11kwh and we're getting at least 13 so far.

From today we shall be in France for a month so my postings will be sporadic. There is Wifi on site but only accessible from the bar area. Tough times!!

Hope the sun continues to shine on you wherever you are and everyone enjoys the rest of the summer.

Au revoir, mes amis!

• Like 6

In my 30s had multiple sessions with a dentist who did the canal root thing on all my upper teeth.

In my 50s all my front upper teeth broke off at gum level!

I used my teeth as my left hand, unscrewing tubes of glue being the major factor.

I am now left handless as well s upper toothless.

Cold (17C) as well as wet today and the same expected tomorrow and  Thursday.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all! Sounds like meadows are being mowed somewhere in the fields outside this-here town... Weather continues to be sunny and quite warm, but not as excessively hot as it's been a while ago.

Enjoy your day, whatever you've got planned!

Well, we certainly picked a good time to have solar panels fitted! The average amount the eight we have should produce each day in July is 11kwh and we're getting at least 13 so far.

From today we shall be in France for a month so my postings will be sporadic. There is Wifi on site but only accessible from the bar area. Tough times!!

Hope the sun continues to shine on you wherever you are and everyone enjoys the rest of the summer.

Au revoir, mes amis!

Bon vacances, we can blame your panels for paying local farmers not to generate electricity from their turbines then?

• RMweb Gold

Enjoy your vacancies Ashers.

In my 50s all my front upper teeth broke off at gum level!

I used my teeth as my left hand, unscrewing tubes of glue being the major factor.

You could say that they came to a sticky end.

• Like 1

Morning all , looks like it will be warm again.Nothing good to report, temporary filling pending extraction.

I knew Pendon was a great model but didn't know they had an extraction area Mick.

• RMweb Premium

Just reporting in from Brigton as I am on Holiday.

Weather Sun is just breaking through.

Is Modelzone in Brighton still open?

Are there any other local model shops worth a visit while I am on holiday down here?

Eltel

Have a nice break, Eltel - can't help with model shops but someone will.

I visited a "Wildlife Reserve" yesterday.

Difficult to access and involving a two mile yomp, it yielded O wildlife.

In fact, if there had been an example of wildlife it would have pined away from loneliness.

Even I know that serried rows of conifers are not the ideal setting for our fellow life forms.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Eltel - as someone has posted elsewhere, Gaugemaster is within reach, by Ford station. On the way you can glimpse Lancing Abbey, and the town of Arundel with castle is close by, too. Other places of interest you should see include Lewes, a charming town with a lot of railway history, and the Devil's Dyke, which used to have a station and still has magnificent views.

Much cloudier here this morning, which should limit heat build-up a bit.

Hope your day goes well.