The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Pleasant visit from friends yesterday.

They have their own troubles so had a long and helpful chat of benefit to us all.

Tomorrow I will be investigating the actual time that the "Economy" (!!!!!) Seven kicks in.

I've been given two answers from SP and a third in the 'official' handbook.

Also, just taken on a contract with them until 2016 (which I can cancel at any time) at 'current' (haha) rates.

Of course, the old contract was cheaper - but they didn't read the meter so I'm awaiting the first quarterly statement to claim back the overcharge that will be included.

Pleasant visit from friends yesterday.

They have their own troubles so had a long and helpful chat of benefit to us all.

Tomorrow I will be investigating the actual time that the "Economy" (!!!!!) Seven kicks in.

I've been given two answers from SP and a third in the 'official' handbook.

Also, just taken on a contract with them until 2016 (which I can cancel at any time) at 'current' (haha) rates.

Of course, the old contract was cheaper - but they didn't read the meter so I'm awaiting the first quarterly statement to claim back the overcharge that will be included.

Your meter does not distinguish between GMT and BST so the switch-on now will be one hour later than in November-March. That could account for the different answers, particularly if the call centre is located in the Indian sub-continent where they (strangely) do not understand that we have two "time" zones. I believe my meter is currently counting the lower rate between 01:30 and 07:30 if that is any help.

Less sunny here in the land of the Gruffalo, a bit sticky already but expecting the sun to burn through. We are off to Nettlebed, Oxon later to visit friends for lunch (well, sitting down around 1:45 so that description is only loosely applied). This always used to be a significant event in any trencherman's calendar but with the onset of age, less than one bottle of wine and smaller portions are the definitely the order of the day for all of us now. It still promises to be a pleasant day airing our views on what is wrong with society / politicians / local government / anything else old curmudgeons can debate. I hope everyone else has a pleasant one too.  

• Like 1

apparently we may see dolphins, or even blue whales - I thought these only existed on TV.

You didn't need to go that far to see Dolphins, Dave - they display daily in the Moray Firth, just to the north east of Inverness - I believe there is a pod in the Bristol Channel too

Thanks, lads.

I'm dealing with the 'Manager' of Customer Services in the UK.

I am an Early Riser so I have the option of turning on Washing Machine/Dishwasher/Shower/kettle etc., during the substantially cheaper period.

It just aggravates me that I'm told varying times by the supplier and will persist until I get a proper answer.

It's easy enough to do a RL check just by watching the meter at whatever time the switchover occurs.

Long term ERs may remember that I won a major battle with a previous supplier with the help of the Ombudsman (saving £1,800) and I don't want to go down that road again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

the onset of age, less than one bottle of wine and smaller portions are the definitely the order of the day for all of us now. It still promises to be a pleasant day airing our views on what is wrong with society / politicians / local government / anything else old curmudgeons can debate. 

For a weird moment I thought I had written that!  

• RMweb Premium

morning all from a sunny and warm Leeds.

A gentle breeze helped to keep us comfortable over the 6 hours or so of our cricket yesterday - shorter game today which doesn't start till 2... so do I do Brunch or just have a late breakfast - or have both??

have a good time everyone..

• Like 1

You didn't need to go that far to see Dolphins, Dave - they display daily in the Moray Firth, just to the north east of Inverness - I believe there is a pod in the Bristol Channel too

Not on the days we were there Jack! We stayed on the camp site at Rosemarkie for a few days and didn't see any.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Cloudy on the western front.

A day on Camel Quay....another coat of 'cement' colour on the quayside before the weathering starts; earth and rock colours to paint on the new landscaping sections; and.....then............go [to] town with the 'green' stuff....yayyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee......

Maybe the sun will come out too so I've got an excuse for a  'break' at some point....  :sungum:

Enjoy your day.

Polly

[Edited - just spotted a word in the wrong place.  Hopefully it makes sense now.]

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, its getting warmer, drivers seem to have become more latin. New meter was fitted promptly at 9.00 am yesterday the alarm went off of course, the neighbours were not amused. Today at 10.00 prompt next door fired up his hedgecutters...... At least he waited until after the bells had started.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

proper job breakfast duly consumed, son arrived safely in Split yesterday and judging by the maps his train journey out of there in a day or two will be much more interesting than his flight in.  Hope Gruff has a good road trip as the A4130 was very busy yesterday although mainly going in the opposite direction although there might be traffic heading for Woodcote.

Wishing DD well in his battle - Mrs Stationmaster has recently declared war on SSE as they have twice promised, and failed, to send the cheque for the electricity we (or rather the sun) have generated and saved them the trouble of doing it/buying it from EDF or whoever.

Have a good day one & all

• Like 1

Morning all,  seemed to be in a marginally better frame of mind this morning,  having slept for a solid twelve hours ......now as to the weather it is persisting down......temperature is a chilly  27c.....

Work calls so best get on,  

Enjoy whatever you're up to today....chill out if you can,

Trev 

• RMweb Gold

Does EDF stand for Exorbitant Dual Fuel?  If so I need to go & compare a confused Meerkat or two!

Foreign innit (Energie de France) - although to give them their due the amount they are investing in Britain (and in the case of two power stations the amount they have had to spend to deal with the under-invested mess left by a fly-by-night British company who even let basic safety slip) they aren't all bad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today at 10.00 prompt next door fired up his hedgecutters...... At least he waited until after the bells had started.

ISTR there is no general rule limiting the use of noisy machinery on Sundays and at certain times of day in the UK, is there? As with many things legal, a lot over here depends on the state you're living in, but if my information is still up to date, the state of Hesse as a whole has abandoned those general regulations according to which one is to refrain from using lawnmowers and similarly noisy devices between about 1 and 3 pm on weekdays. However, the majority of communities has retained local ordinances upholding this rest period for private, non-commercial users of such machinery at least. Sundays as a whole also remain legally protected as days of rest, so firing up mowers, hedge cutters and the like on a Sunday is an offence and can be fined.

Around here anything goes after 8:00am any day of the week! As most people start work between 7:00am and 8:00am an early start is engrained into them.

Most still only get two weeks vacation per year and just one day off for Christmas! 

Europeans working over here start with a huge shock...

Best, Pete

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Today at 10.00 prompt next door fired up his hedgecutters

And I fired mine up at about 1 this afternoon, and they were noisy - so noisy that they made a big bang when I nicked the cable with the blade - I run all outdoors equipment via a circuit breaker and via a separate outdoor main via the garage - and yes, the MCB in the socket, the circuit breaker in the garage, and the one in the main consumer unit all tripped - luckily the break was about six inches from the body of the machine, so a quick removal of the cable entry panel, and reterminated the slightly shorter cable into the choc block. 

Anyway, it's quite sunny here at present, and I had hoped that the accidental knackering of the hedge machine might put paid to any further activity in the garden - but no, it wasn't to be, and we've been sweating buckets out there.

I'm chef for the day - so will be offering my favourite standby - leftovers Korma with rice and Naan.  Nice and easy, and even I can leave the kitchen tidy afterwards.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156