The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

These tomatoes are absolutely delicious.

The problem is, we can't remember what variety they are.

Have to try and save some seeds - but they taste too good!

(probably a case like the giant tortoises if you saw QI)

post-7041-0-63223400-1373191547.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

These tomatoes are absolutely delicious.

The problem is, we can't remember what variety they are.

Have to try and save some seeds - but they taste too good!

(probably a case like the giant tortoises if you saw QI)

attachicon.gifTomatoesZB.jpg

I shall not show that pic to Mrs Stationmaster as cries of anguish would ensue - her tomatoes being not that far advanced.  What is it about Welsh weather, maybe it's something in the water?

• RMweb Gold

Judging what has been said earlier in the thread, here is some good news!

1.  The sun is out and everything is warming up nicely

2.  Yesterday I installed an electronic watering system into the greenhouse so that the tomato and cucumber plants get watered twice a day automatically.

3.  The strawberries are ripening, and we have a monster crop to look forward to.

4.  All the retaining timber walls were completed for the garden line and today I'm going to crack on with the rest of the earthworks.

6.  I did a pile of ironing last night so I no longer have to wander a round in a grubby string vest and a pair of old shorts, probably last worn by 'Monty' at El Alamein  ( I call them my 'Rommel's')

7.  41-16..............and that is not an ex GWR 2-6-2t

Looking forward to the German GP this afternoon.

Regards

Richard

I am having visions of Pop Larkin and H. E. Bates's 'The Darling Buds of May' here.

What happened to number five?

• RMweb Premium

I shall not show that pic to Mrs Stationmaster as cries of anguish would ensue - her tomatoes being not that far advanced.  What is it about Welsh weather, maybe it's something in the water?

Plenty of water, Mike.  Amount of sun?  Sheer guess work.  :scratchhead:

But, I don't know how DD does it, either, though it might be that he lives on the other side of the mountains...

And, anyway, our greenhouse went off to a good (sheltered) home years ago after the wind blew it out - twice.  I doubt the insurance company would have insured it / paid out again...  :nono:

I grow plant stick stuff in the ground or pots to merely look at here, then sit back and wait and see what happens....  8)

Well, all, have a good gardening day or whatever you're up to.

• Like 2

Last year I grew tomatoes in my greenhouse and despite routine watering and feeding, it seemed to me that they were tardy to say the least. It may have been influenced by the greenhouse location is on the WNW wall of Gruff Towers. This year, all are in tubs on Madame Gruff's concrete terrace (also described as a patio for the likes of me to understand) and that faces SSW. They tend to cook in that location so I expect we will eventually be picking sun-dried varieties and eating a diet with strong mediterranean influences.

Back to today, the local butcher's marinated chops and meaty burgers are presently sitting in the fridge, awaiting the end of the men's final. Much as The Stationmaster's breakfast sounds tantalisingly tempting, one significant protein intake is all SWMBO will allow me these days!

Ah! Number 5 - there's always a catch.

And cries were heard from Port Merion of "I am not a number".

And for those of less advanced years, the 1960's TV series called The Prisoner was filmed at Port Merion and featured Patrick McGoohan as No 6.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am having visions of Pop Larkin and H. E. Bates's 'The Darling Buds of May' here.

What happened to number five?

5.  The Obergrumpenfuhrer is still away................................ how silly of me to miss it out!

Regards

R.

• RMweb Gold

5.  The Obergrumpenfuhrer is still away................................ how silly of me to miss it out!

Regards

R.

Understandable.

It's not the sort of thing one would normally notice.

It may not be Hay Fever - we are not in the loop.

Hope it's not the Plague or something.

Pollen allergy; very-severe today...........can`t risk driving (fits of sneezing/coughing) or even see well-enough (through swollen/copiously-watering eyes) to take the gang on 'walkies'..........so we`re reluctantly staying home!

• RMweb Gold

Marion usually chooses Gardeners Delight to grow totmatoes small fruit but tasty. The trouble with a motorhome is you tend to be off when stuff is ready. I can remember my Dad carefully tending tomatoes and strawberries just to be away on holiday when the crop rippened.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Marion usually chooses Gardeners Delight to grow totmatoes small fruit but tasty. The trouble with a motorhome is you tend to be off when stuff is ready. I can remember my Dad carefully tending tomatoes and strawberries just to be away on holiday when the crop rippened.

Don

Couldn't you put them in a trailer?

You might do a roaring trade, selling the surplus off the back of the van!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning (to me - 06:00) all.

Trying to adjust my hours to an 06:00 start to fit in with work, starts tomorrow for 6 days.

Nothing open here until 10:00, but then a walk to the Spectrum mall beckons - I love shopping so it should be fun, but it gets me out for a few hours.

Sympathies for those with hay fever, I get it bad too although over the years it's become a lot more specific, so what was a general summer problem is now worse at the start of the season and an annoyance over the rest, one of the benefits of getting old.

I'm currently watching the mens final, it's 1-1 in the first set, Murray serving - I wonder how the score will be in a couple of hours.

Have a good day all.

To me, most enjoyable Grands Prix so far this year. If you have not seen it, final hour worth it.

Which day are you going to Cajon pass, Dave?

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Which day are you going to Cajon pass, Dave?

Hi Pete,

One week today is the plan - I'll meet the guy tomorrow and things will develop from there.

(1st set to Murray)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And cries were heard from Port Merion of "I am not a number".

And for those of less advanced years, the 1960's TV series called The Prisoner was filmed at Port Merion and featured Patrick McGoohan as No 6.

We've been to Portmeirion quite a few times, now, one of which turned out to be right in the middle of a Prisoner Convention.  This was explained to us by a group of Americans. A big cult following over the water, apparently.

It certainly gave our day a different twist as you'll see from this website:

www.portmeiricon.com/

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Murray appears to be winning right now  - two sets up.

Just come back on after a one day break, and so glad I caught up - the news about Simon is very sad indeed - Never met him, but did enjoy his participation on RMWeb.  Well, I'm up to speed, have (as usual) been uplifted, saddened, amused, and entertained by ERs.

Yesterday morning, dog woke us early (about 06.30), as something had disturbed her - this had just launched from a nearby field. 

post-103-0-01851100-1373211676_thumb.jpg

Dog also had a vet's visit yesterday, and her surgery is healing very well.

And today, I went up to visit Mike who lives up the road, as he was operating this and having a cracking day for it

post-103-0-25459200-1373211826_thumb.jpg

A few more pictures of my visit here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38688-littledale-light-railway/?hl=littledale

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Is that his garden railway Stewart? That could be fun.

Don

Yes - it's the Littledale Light Railway, and there's a thread in Garden Railways that has also got some youview clips.

It is an 18 year project and still developing

• Like 1

As we all know - Murray won !

Yippee - to celebrate I'm off to Wallys for some food - I know how to live.

Wow. It's the high life for you. :-)

Welcome to the la la land lifestyle.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

To me, most enjoyable Grands Prix so far this year. If you have not seen it, final hour worth it.

Thanks for the heads-up, Pete. Having just watched the Bermondsey Bucket Co.'s potted version I agree it was a good 'un. Pity the potted version still has to have all that introductory rubbish - F1 races start on the parade lap for me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As we all know - Murray won !

I didn't, but am pleased. I recall from last year that Wimbledon was the start of a glorious summer of UK sport. I hope 2013 keeps it up - even in those I don't follow.