The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Very sad - at least 2 fatalities and at least 60 (sixty) people unaccounted for - fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Edit 18:45 local.

All but one accounted for, so 2 fatalities and 1 missing at the moment - amazing considering the state of the plane.

• RMweb Gold

The crash is on the news on Sky this morning. Was only looking at flights via this airport on Friday for a future trip. There's been very few crashes involving 777"s. the BA one at Heathrow being one of them.

Another scorching day today.

Glad we have a number of fans to keep us cool at DEMU although the high ceiling room we are in is fairly cool.

There is a danger that an overload of empathy will lead us to 'switch off' for self protection when faced with this continual barrage of dreadful news.

When communications were more primitive, we used to be sheltered by ignorance but now these horrors are immediately transmitted ... and received.

Another lovely day in prospect.

No plans - a good potter outdoors is in order.

I don't know any potters but I'll have fun looking.

SWMBO will be watching Sideshow Bob but I'll be outside ... except possibly for glances at the F1.

• RMweb Gold

There is a danger that an overload of empathy will lead us to 'switch off' for self protection when faced with this continual barrage of dreadful news..

I fear that I may have been suffering from that scenario a bit of late.

I must admit that, on occasion, I have felt that logging on to ERs hasn't always helped either but then I only have to think of all the mutual support that has been offered to different people at different times and the friendly light banter to realise what a good place it is.

And all this from people who we only 'know' over the ether.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

The plane accident really does look like a lucky outcome, all things considered. I'll grant you that every casualty is dreadful, but then again, it could have turned out so much worse, too...

Slept in for a bit today after a red-alert headache which had lasted from about noon yesterday till bedtime. Will be taking things slow today, just to be on the safe side.

No plans - a good potter outdoors is in order.

I don't know any potters but I'll have fun looking.

I've just remembered - I do know a potter.

He looks like a gnome and he hasn't done much potting recently, having spent the last seven years building himself a kiln room/workshop.

I'm late on today. Must be old age creeping on. It takes me longer to get washed and dressed in the morning and longer to catch up on missed postings from yesterday. However all that is done, breakfast is consumed and even more postings read.  However I have not yet observed any radio or TV news.

It's a grey, bleak, dark, wet morning here. I skipped Mass again. :nono:

Thanks for the pics of the N Gauge show DD. The layouts looked very worthwhile studying. Aren't Sodor and Thomas synonymous?

Thanks all for the support over my very recent bereavements. Kath's funeral is tomorrow.. It will not be a sad occasion and I shall

catch up with many friends and acquaintances that I haven't seen for ages, some for years and years.

Except for 2011 when I was in hospital, I have spent Christmas day with Kath and family every year since 1992!

In the Northern Hemisphere things are warming up nicely (I'm with Don - Winter is overrated).

If you DO require cooling down take a look at this photo, in fact, print it out and show to your local operator when they tell you that trains are cancelled due to a dusting of snow:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=432947&nseq=30

(I had to snigger at one of the comments, dearie).....

Have a Nice Day!  Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Don Bradley - missing mass may mean the chap upstairs puts your name in the other notebook, so you risk meeting people like me by the bonfire in due course!

Compassion fatigue is not a new concept, but I am finding after my dreary 2012 my sense of loss on other matters has been heightened a little, if anything. ERs does record the bad news, sure, but it is a little community where a great deal of warmth radiates, too, often in response. The rest of RMweb is also impressive in that respect, as I have found to my considerable benefit. A problem or loss shared on here helps to ventilate one's emotions, and you can be confident of a virtual arm placed around you.

An open-air sit-down multi-course meal for 80? All done by the hosts with a couple of helpers? That's what I got last night. Host has dual-citizenship with the USA, so very easy to converse with. A spectacular pad - with an upstairs model car museum containing about 2000 cars in multiple scales, mainly in glass cabinets with their own lighting. His garage - hydraulic ramp etc - has a MkII Jag under restoration, and in my presence he was ringing a chap in California about a DB (funny little French car) there.

Back to the LM Story today. Want to catch up with the McLaren M1 I glimpsed yesterday. I think I last saw one driven by Bruce himself in a support race to the 1966 British GP.

Hope the sun shines on you!

• Like 11

Mornin` :bye:

Ah---------chooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

Misquoting a very British poet:

"You must get down to the sea again, to the beautiful sea and the sky..."

Lower pollen levels but beware of increased UV levels!

• Like 2

Morning all

Don Bradley - missing mass may mean the chap upstairs puts your name in the other notebook, so you risk meeting people like me by the bonfire in due course!

Compassion fatigue is not a new concept, but I am finding after my dreary 2012 my sense of loss on other matters has been heightened a little, if anything. ERs does record the bad news, sure, but it is a little community where a great deal of warmth radiates, too, often in response. The rest of RMweb is also impressive in that respect, as I have found to my considerable benefit. A problem or loss shared on here helps to ventilate one's emotions, and you can be confident of a virtual arm placed around you.

!

Ian, what a superb summary, I could not agree more!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, sunny again so usual routine cloth over fish tank open conservatory windows etc. Then get the kettle on! I decided against toast this morning but wish I had not.My biggest worry at the moment is the amount of aftersun DD2 will need she had a bit of a glow last night.

Forgot to mention eye watering but it is better reaction than sneezing.

Edited by skipepsi

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I'm sure I will be mobile soon but at the moment I'm being a bit lazy. I'm trying to work up the energy to have a short visit to the Basildon Model Railway Exhibition after breakfast.

As our neighbours who normally let Robbie out when we go to MiLs are in Wales this weekend, yesterday we asked the other neighbours if they could. Robbie actually got to spend a lot of time out in the garden as the neighbour and his Dad thought this was a good opportunity to replace the fence panels. They had shown us what they intended to fit and the only problem is that Aditi thinks they look so nice she thinks perhaps we could do something similar on the other side of the garden!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

In the Northern Hemisphere things are warming up nicely (I'm with Don - Winter is overrated).

If you DO require cooling down take a look at this photo, in fact, print it out and show to your local operator when they tell you that trains are cancelled due to a dusting of snow:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=432947&nseq=30

(I had to snigger at one of the comments, dearie).....

Have a Nice Day!  Pete.

At least you wouldn't have to worry about the size, colour and shape of the ballasting material when modelling it, Pete.   :laugh:

Like the pic by the way.

Hope the sneezes disappear soon, Queen Debs. :king:

Have a good day, all, and here's some sunshine for those who are on the dark side... :sungum:

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Judging what has been said earlier in the thread, here is some good news!

1.  The sun is out and everything is warming up nicely

2.  Yesterday I installed an electronic watering system into the greenhouse so that the tomato and cucumber plants get watered twice a day automatically.

3.  The strawberries are ripening, and we have a monster crop to look forward to.

4.  All the retaining timber walls were completed for the garden line and today I'm going to crack on with the rest of the earthworks.

6.  I did a pile of ironing last night so I no longer have to wander a round in a grubby string vest and a pair of old shorts, probably last worn by 'Monty' at El Alamein  ( I call them my 'Rommel's')

7.  41-16..............and that is not an ex GWR 2-6-2t

Looking forward to the German GP this afternoon.

Regards

Richard

• Like 5

Good morning all,  

Had bad night having eaten just too many cashew nuts..... but did manage to get a little bit of modelling done..  I have big stack of work to get through today, but will try to get a bit of "me" time in!.

What ever your up to today try and enjoy, 

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright & sunny = hot, so I might get cutting the grass, maybe, perhaps.   Yesterday was a typical regatta Saturday with all the tight-a*sed folk parking up our way in order to get a mile's walk to the course to save money on parking fees, beats me why they don't use the train or do what an increasing numbers seem top be doing this year and come by taxi from Reading.  It's years since the funfair was done away with ' in order to reduce violence and cut down on noise' - this year I've heard more police/ambulance sirens than ever before and there was more noise (some sort of 'popular muzak') than ever, the boys in blue even turned out the rapid response vehicle on Friday evening and I've never seen that before, maybe our public schools and unis are turning out a better type of hooligan this year?

Anyway back to the mundane - oh no it isn't, a proper job breakfast is at this very moment being put together by the catering dept and it will include some of that delectable black pudding from Alton.

Have a good day one & all

• Like 1