The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Welcome to the USA, Dave!

Go with the flow regarding sleep - if you worry about it the worse it will seem - it's best not to think what time it is back in Blighty...but don't forget to call loved ones.

So, you've been to WallyWorld already?

Hope you will feel rested, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It seems like a pleasant morning. The woodpigeons seem to be indulging in competitive cooing.

We will be off to Enfield today to see MiL. It will provide a good run for my car. It wouldn't start yesterday. I think I hadn't shut a door properly the day before. 

Tony

Really sad news about Simon this morning.  I agree with Mike, the fact that he was posting here a few days ago really brings home our fragile existence in this world.  My thoughts are with his family.

All tennised out after yesterday.  I wasn't too bothered about the Djokovic match when I sat down about 1.30 yesterday afternoon, but it was a fabulous match and I didn't move for the whole four and a half hours.  Then the Murray game which was OK but not in the same league.  Next thing I knew it was bedtime and another day had gone forever...:-)

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Looking like a pleasant day outside. Sat here with a cuppa coffee and trying to eradicate the last bits of sleep...

That brings back memories, Neil...Margate, Herne Bay, Sittingbourne, Ramsgate - world of childhood summer holidays with Uncle or in B&Bs.

We once visited Margate on a school trip many moons ago! Actually, I believe Kent still is a preferred destination for foreign trips at my now-previous school. So is Aberystwyth, as it is twinned with our town.

...........it's got a microwave, fridge, freezer, stove, pots and pans and basically everything for a small self contained flat - so I have some diet coke chilling in the fridge, I know how to live !

An "efficiency".........I`ve always liked their homely and relaxed feel; so much less formal than an hotel.

Enjoy So-Cal, Dave! :sungum:

In other news, there is a minor skirmish in progress here.

Conway N gauge exhibition vs Womens' Tennis Final.

Apparently they are 'which?' rather than 'either/or'.

Guess who is going to win?

Lipsinkski and SWMBO.

I saw part of an interview where Lipsink was in tears having won.

Seems a charming girl if somewhat too chunky to replace Helena in the shed.

Sorry folks, returning to the sad news, although I didn't "know" Simon I often followed on to his posts in 3 Word game, so he was a familiar name and had also 'friended' me.

On top of that my oldest friend Kath, Tim's Grandmother, with whom I have been a very close friend for 60+  years died on Thursday night

and a resident here who was the senior officer in my schools cadet corp in approx 1945 and whom I knew through my brother when I was 6 and he was 17 died here on Friday morning.

I must be in the Autumn of my life! :stinker:

The Smiley is to indicate that I'm not feeling depressed.

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Very sorry to hear about Simon. I think his strapline was something like "A Durham lad in the land of the dragons" or similar. A regular poster in the music threads as far as I am concerned, and the sort of member who makes forums what they are - difficult chap to take exception to, certainly. I think he worked in retail, and times weren't good there, of course. I will miss him.

Le Mans Story weekend, and a hot one in prospect. I will be there by lunchtime, I hope.

Enjoy your day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, second attempt first disappeared. A bright start again the third in a row! The Murray match was a bit sour for me more than aggressive play or gamesmanship I was pleased Murray won and the tactics failed.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all...

Looking like a pleasant day outside. Sat here with a cuppa coffee and trying to eradicate the last bits of sleep...

We once visited Margate on a school trip many moons ago! Actually, I believe Kent still is a preferred destination for foreign trips at my now-previous school. So is Aberystwyth, as it is twinned with our town.

For a moment there I imagined it was Margate twinned with Aberystwyth!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Glad to hear Dave's journey went fairly well although I'm not entirely sure if Walmart counts as a  real 'welcome to America' experience - did you get any pics there :O ?

Bright sunshine here, no doubt will get very hot and I'm out of excuses to avoid hedge trimming or grass cutting (maybe I could use the hot weather this time?) and it might be interesting/amusing to have a wander round the town looking at the crowds etc - little things an' all that.

Have a good day one & all, and couldn't you go on your own DD?

• RMweb Premium

Sad to hear about Simon - just getting into beer memories with him.

Cracking the flags here so off to cricket - 100 overs in the sun - here I come....

Enjoy the weekend - and Beast - enjoy the USA - 

• RMweb Gold

I have seen the Wallyworld photos and didn't quite know what to expect when Matthew and I briefly visited a Walmart in Galveston. The customers  didn't really look that different to those in our local supermarkets. Matthew went to one in Calgary once accompanying a friend from Singapore who had also seen the photos. Matthew thought it wasn't as well laid out as their UK subsidiary as he couldn't find the fresh fruit and vegetables. He went to Safeway if he needed a supermarket.

Tony

• Like 1

Just returned to "the fold" and seems ERs have been extremely active over the past 3 days. My absence was work-related and had nothing to do with a pub in Kings Lynn that kept a really nice pint of Adnam's Ghost Ship!

Firstly, like many others I was sad to hear of Simon's passing - he and I seemed to have broadly similar views and were able to swap a few alcoholic memories! We are all but a passing millisecond in the wider history of this planet but that means nothing to those immediately connected to the event.

Tayberries I thought were a cross between loganberries and raspberries. We were never successful in their cultivation. I grow a few raspberries these days - this year's crop is slow.

I missed the Murray match, SWMBO was quite put out by the gamesmanship displayed by his opponent and I think both finals will be the ones that are more likely to deliver a feel-good factor. I will have to record the German GP for later viewing. My reason for missing the match was because I attended a T20 cricket match between Northants & Warwicks - quite entertaining but not a close finish.

Weather nice and warm - plants will need watering this evening but will have to wait until after the barbecue has been turned off. Are we facing a shortage of pork as everyone will be cooking ribs and sausages? 

The majority of WallyWorlds around here do not sell fresh food. The main business seems to be Electronics, Bed and Bath, Wrangler Jeans and Children's clothing...

A pair of Wrangler's for $17.00 seems to be good value (I prefer Lee's which they don't sell).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I was too hot yesterday, but I don't suppose that counts. Cleared my workspace and locker and had to drag it all home on a very crowded bus, including a large ghetto blaster that I had stored at work. I now remember why; there's still nowhere to put it! The CD bit doesn't work so it may go to the tip. I realised this morning I had left my special cushion behind; it's destined for the computer chair here. Today i'm officially an OAP but it doesn't seem any different. Maybe I'll get more grumpy (diificult). I shall go to AC models later to buy myself something, then go out for a meal with Martyn.

Sad news about Simon; condolences to his family.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I'm not complaining about he heat, just the two flies that are buzzing about.

I went to get the fly spray but all we have is a tin of Pledge.

Good day all. Bit late on parade. A bit tender this morning. Survived another July 5 and commentated the completion of another trip around the sun.

Sad to read about Simon. As others have said make the most of every day.

As for Wally World. I've had some good deals there in the past. It was also #1 son's first job. The closest I ever came to wetting myself laughing happened in a Wal-Mart. I was watching a woman get completely hyper and enraged trying to use one of the price check machines. It was actually a paper towel dispenser. :-)

For my July 5,boxing day prezzie, SWMBO treated me to a new air con unit for the train shed. It was 34 in there when I finished installing it and switched on. Hopefully it'll be nice and cool by the time we walk back from our pub lunch.

Have a good one all.

• Like 1