The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all.

Had a Company memo saying that the excessive private use of internet was affecting data flow and would everybody please desist, so instead of having three sessions permanently open, I am limiting my access, so have not been/will not be quite as vocal as in the past.

A WEEK TODAY I WILL BE ON MY WAY. Hooray!

Happy Hump day everyone.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Looks like another pleasant day outside. 20° forecast for today, but cooler and rainier over the weekend. Wish you all a good day - we're halfway through this week after all! :lol:

Morning All,

It is a beautiful morning here in Karlsruhe - I'm down here on another business trip, but I should be back home tonight all being well. At the moment we have got blue sky and sunshine, so hopefully it will stay like that for the day.

It sounds like your company needs to increase their bandwidth Don! After all, I would be very surprised if there is that much private traffic. We have all got jobs to do after all, and employees don't sit around surfing the internet all day.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Gold

Good morning.

I've been out to put the recycling bags and containers by the road.

Although it is dull it is warm.

I have a shopping list so I'll be off to Sainsbury for a change as there are a few items on the list that Tesco don't stock.

Tony

Morning all,

Happy Hump Day.

No delivery today so just got up!

WHY IS EVERYONE SHOUTING?.........WERE YOU IN ARTILLERY?

No - just firing off in short bursts!

• RMweb Premium

Mrng +. oktas 7.

My company has a much more subtle approach. They have installed content filtering on web access "to reduce spam and reduce the risk of attacks through the download of malicious malware". What this actually means is that they are slowing down the available bandwidth for any sites they recognise as non work related or sites they plain don't recognise. What they haven't quite comprehended is that some of us spend a lot of time searching around on external sites as part of our legitimate research activities and the slow responses are really ticking folks off! Of course it also slows down ones access to important sites like RMWeb...

Cheers

Dave

Come to think of it, Dave, I've never met a network manager who wants to make network use easy for his colleagues. Sounds like BOFH again!

At my last place of salaried employment, we were lucky enough to have our own set of legal IP addresses. Any computer 'trusted' to go outside the company was given one of these as well as one from our internal system (192.168..); not trusted - only got a 192.168 address! Didn't slow anyone down!

Come to think of it, Dave, I've never met a network manager who wants to make network use easy for his colleagues.

At this point, I am reminded of Mordac, preventer of information services from Dilbert!

• RMweb Premium

I just read that several runaway goods wagons collapsed a storehouse in the harbour of Oslo, killing three workers and injuring another three before plunging into the water. Nasty :( .

• RMweb Gold

I once returned to the sixth form college I worked in after the holidays and noticed the network history on the demonstration pc indicated someone had been accessing some sites whose names would get censored on RMweb. It turned out the IT technicians had been installing blocking software and had been "testing".

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Evening - looks like there is a national purge on non essential web use in the workplace, as I had to sign a declaration today that I would only access the web before or after work, or in my meal breaks, and also this "agreement" stated that work PCs cannot be used to access any secondary business applications - meaning I cannot sneak a look at my Ebay sales any more. Means I probably won't be able to check in here of a morning. Also today at work, went to my desk, and was told that I am moving - this happens every six to eight weeks, so was no surprise. BUT I had complained about my work PC being slow and taking a long time to boot up - techies said rubbish, but today, techie came down and said that a remote check of the machines showed that mine only had 512k of RAM instead of a meg - he went to fix it, so the person moving to that desk will get the benefit?!

One little bit of good news, the dog's ear infection has cleared up (touch wood) after about nine months of treatment.

• RMweb Premium

but today, techie came down and said that a remote check of the machines showed that mine only had 512k of RAM instead of a meg - he went to fix it, so the person moving to that desk will get the benefit?!

Gee, just how old is this computer? :blink:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gee, just how old is this computer? :blink:

Sounds about right for mid to late 1980s I should think. Sounds like something from the days when we used to debate extended vs expanded RAM!