The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

In my humble opinion, the 'secret' of straight saw cuts are obvious - it's putting them into practice that is difficult.

My own tips would be:

A sharp saw

The correct saw for the job

The workpiece properly braced

Plenty of light on the cutting line

Align the saw blade in a straight line with your elbow

On wood the cut is made 'forward' so the backward stroke should be gentle but precise

I guide (say) a tenon saw with the knuckle of my thumb

Use branded dressings for thumb damage.

Measure the saw kerf on some scrap and draw two cutting lines that width apart. It is then much easier to see if you are wandering off line -- the line will be removed on one side or the other.

Saw s l o w l y -- you should be able to count the cuts easily.

Keep your eyes on the saw teeth as they enter the wood between the lines. If they start to wander off -- stop. Adjust your grip and start again.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Bit late today.

I'm not sure what time zone Matthew is responding to but he isn't awake yet. He may have been watching (ice) hockey last night on the TV channel he asked me to add to the Sky box yesterday!

He will be at home until the middle of June then he intends to go to Leicester to see friends, some of whom will also be returning from studying overseas and many who will have just sat their finals.

It seems to be turning into a rather dull, overcast day but no rain so far.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning. 

Tired due to G scale meeting going on until after dark last night!  Well attended, with 7 out of 8 members attending plus Mrs NHN and I of course, the non-attendee had an excuse as he has to light up IoM Railways number 8 'Fenella' at 5 in the morning, and he lives at the other end of the island (30 miles)!

Much grub was consumed, and many trains run, including a rather nice Darjeeling and Himalayan garratt belonging to Jack Dibnah (name dropper... :whistle: ) made by Peter Angus, a big name in G scale steam.  Photos later after watching the motorcycling world go by for a while, TT in full swing now.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This may come as a surprise to younger readers, but in the past teachers would try and raise a laugh at some poor scholar's expense by reading out the incorrect answers to exam questions. The EWTP (not metalwork at my old school) teacher was not at all amused at one answer of "north" in response to the question about direction of cut for a hacksaw. The teacher was convinced the student was trying to be a "smart Alec" when in fact he genuinely believed his answer to be correct.

Good Lord. Do they teach primary school children to play bridge in Germany?

Sorry, I should have made the post clearer! I posted from my mobile, and kept it short. My fingers are too big for the keyboard!

We had a bank holiday yesterday - and so Friday is the "bridge day" providing a bridge between the bank holiday and the weekend. Many people take this day off work and make a long weekend out of it. The school has two days a year which they can allocate as a "bridge day" and this is one of them.

The little guy plays Chess, but not Bridge!

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't Mrs Hacksaw Prime Minister at one time? Not sure she ever saw much good in the North!

Late on parade, doing a bit of basic housework as Sheena due for coffee - 34 minutes ago!

Restless, cloudy and a hint of rain here. Some sun earlier has long gone.

Morning all.

Bit late today.

I'm not sure what time zone Matthew is responding to but he isn't awake yet. He may have been watching (ice) hockey last night on the TV channel he asked me to add to the Sky box yesterday!

He will be at home until the middle of June then he intends to go to Leicester to see friends, some of whom will also be returning from studying overseas and many who will have just sat their finals.

It seems to be turning into a rather dull, overcast day but no rain so far.

Tony

Mathew got any idea as to what career path he wants to follow?

Two people at my daughter's High School won full scholarships to West Point this week (it's actually a decent school too).

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mathew got any idea as to what career path he wants to follow?

Two people at my daughter's High School won full scholarships to West Point this week (it's actually a decent school too).

Best, Pete.

Urban Systems Planning and Development. Whatever that is! 

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't face it, Martin.

If you made use of all the techniques suggested in the "back" thread you probably wouldn't be able to.

Actually I think looking to the animal kingdom may be the answer. Humans closest genetic relative is the bonobo. They are very rarely (possibly never) seen to have wheelbarrow related back injuries. Therefore Dd should adopt a shuffling gait using knuckles to aid propulsion. A fruit diet would also be required.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Morning (just) all,

Late on parade due to shopping expedition - Waitrose first then herself trying various places to find a child's windmill for use as a bird scarer, I honestly think that at this time of year when children should be using nice old fashioned outdoor toys it would probably be easier to get a 12 bore and permit for it.  Total waste of time.  Off shortly to a tortur chiropractic session which will hopefully restore various parts of my back to where they ought to be having been relocated themselves by c.5 hours of standing/walking at Railex on Sunday; then I'm off to a show at Newport (Mon) tomorrow so had better book the chiropractor for next week too;  model railway exhibitions really ought to come with a health warning as well as a financial one.

Have a good day folks and a good weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually I think looking to the animal kingdom may be the answer. Humans closest genetic relative is the bonobo. They are very rarely (possibly never) seen to have wheelbarrow related back injuries. Therefore Dd should adopt a shuffling gait using knuckles to aid propulsion. A fruit diet would also be required.

I believe I've seen some of these creatures in the local supermarket eating food before they've paid for it and wearing trousers halfway down their backsides exposing their undergarments! (or lack of same)  :aggressive:

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium
In the vernacular common to small schoolboys, the kid asked the question on everyones' mind:

"Where are we going, ****ing Birmingham?"

I can fully confirm this sort of vocabulary to be all too common among today's pupils, though your example would appear to be one of the more harmless ones!

• Like 1

Urban Systems Planning and Development. Whatever that is! 

I was going to say: "Never mind he may grow out of it".........

What is true though is that I remember your concerns about Matthew and the Education system as he progressed through it.  Your worries were unfounded, the boy has done very well, indeed. He used the system to his advantage (which I was never able to do).

Best, Pete.

This thread certainly motors along...... Glad Gordon S. "enjoyed" his trip up Snowdon! Some room-with-a-view pics were shown earlier...Here's ours. I love Tan-Y-Goppa mountain but a certain Derek Lawrence from Sheringham hated it. I wonder why.....

post-6680-0-93677600-1370002446.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Fashions often don't help, and not just with those who are a bit mis-shapen, either. About 2000 I was in WH Smug in Tunbridge Wells on a Sunday, and a slim young girl, obviously a student earning her crust, was sorting out the lower shelf of the magazine rack. Sadly her trousers were so low-cut that I had a clear view of far too much of her lower back and bottom. Demeaning for a respectable girl merely trying to do her job.

Come to Snowdon and go from this....

post-6950-0-77762900-1370005371_thumb.jpg

to this in an hour....

post-6950-0-81994100-1370005405.jpg

Bargain!  Just £104 and a couple of hours or so of your time for a party of four....:-)

Despite all that, we have a few humourous stories to tell, most of which are not for public consumption.  I spent two hours sat opposite 'Fluffy Owl' so you can imagine the rest....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Well I did achieve success one lot in the auction yesterday - and this, once I've paid for it, is it (£85 plus commission etc)

http://www.specialauctionservices.com/large/ty300513/lot0894-0.jpg

Looks like K's in origin but the wheels didn't look like theirs so hopefully they won't fall to pieces when I give it a trip on the rollers.  Next step is to decide what to turn it into which means searching out pics of the late survivors.  The book lot that had briefly interested me went for £28 so i suspect someone will be looking to make a killing on Amazon with that lot.

And it's still warm & sunny here :scratchhead:

• Like 2

I hope you have better luck than my brother who bought an exquisitely detailed K's 0-6-0, Lord I can't remember the model but GWR - looked lovely but would only proceed half a turn at a time. I told him it must be the quartering but, alas the chassis was not only not perfectly square but warped.........

Hot here! Another lovely 32C day.....Feels good to my old bones.

Best, Pete.

Edit: Yes Mike it was a Dean Goods too, by K's..........

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

I hope you have better luck than my brother who bought an exquisitely detailed K's 0-6-0, Lord I can't remember the model but GWR - looked lovely but would only proceed half a turn at a time. I told him it must be the quartering but, alas the chassis was not only not perfectly square but warped.........

Hot here! Another lovely 32C day.....Feels good to my old bones.

Best, Pete.

Stashed away somewhere I've got a loco which originally must have started off as a K's Dean Goods - but had then been heavily 'modified' during construction into something far more puissant although it still appears to have a K's Mk1 motor (which seems to work quite well).  Buying like this is entirely pot luck - simple as that, I once bought something which had started life as a Cotswold 47XX but had also been heavily breathed on during construction, sold it one, with caveat, at a decent profit.

• Like 1

About 2000 I was in WH Smug in Tunbridge Wells on a Sunday, and a slim young girl, obviously a student earning her crust, was sorting out the lower shelf of the magazine rack. Sadly her trousers were so low-cut that I had a clear view of far too much of her lower back and bottom.

Probably testing you with her butt-lifters to see if you are an early riser....... :whistle:

Edited by coachmann