The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all,

Waters back, and all three electrical phases..

Glad to see that Ian had a good trip.   I wonder how many of us have names shared with places? 

Whatever you're up to today, try and find something to smile at!

Trev. 

• Like 1

.   I wonder how many of us have names shared with places? 

Trev. 

I do! Cayton in East Yorkshire had a small station on the Hull-Scarborough line. The nearby holiday camps on the edge of Cayton Bay must be the caravan capital of the Western world.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Morning

A bit of a mixed sky here in Surrey with blue sky and dark clouds

post-1557-0-53859200-1369809278_thumb.jpg

EWS 66175 was on the Brett aggregate the train in Purley yard. I Would have made a nice shot if I had been sitting on that side of the train

At East Croydon and Just passed the Network Rail test train with 73's on it but again I was on the other side of the train. Took this instead.

Ianpost-1557-0-07236200-1369809710_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

At East Croydon and Just passed the Network Rail test train with 73's on it but again I was on the other side of the train. Took this instead.

Ianattachicon.gif20130529_073719-picsay.jpg

Yoinks, Scoobs. That's a view I was hoping not to see again; 18 months of commuting to one of those office blocks in the rhs of the background. 

Has it just gone cold, or am I shivering with the recollection.  :O

Andy

I remember hearing a rumble last night.

Not sure where it originated.

I also remember a witty post about Ashcombe being Cross but I must have forgotten to press the post button.

Edit: I've just read that it was in 8 kilometres of water - I didn't know it was that deep in the area.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't an earthquake in North Wales  last night, it was my mother in law falling out of bed.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and abject horror this may have caused any ERs in the region.

We have a place named after us:  Ough, Nebraska!

Apparently it is a crossroads with the obligatory garage and church.  Just to the east, is the local cemetery. 

And that's it!  No trains, night clubs, bars or take away pizza joints.

i know I can be 'way out' sometimes, but this really is taking the mickey!

Perhaps I need to change my name by deed poll to Richard York- Railway- Museum?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather dull here this morning.

I have a little shopping list. 

Matthew leaves Halifax (NS) late tonight to arrive at Gatwick tomorrow morning.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Me.

Millions of them, all over the world.

So there is really a place called "That arrogant Scouser" then ? phew.

Morning all.

Dank morning down here, very humid and generally not marvellous.

I had another barn owl session last night - pics here for those who haven't seen them and are interested

We have a little (12) girl who is being afflicted very badly by emetophobia at the moment, not pleasant for her or us, if anyone has experience of this could they please drop me a PM - for obvious reasons I don't want to discuss it in open forum. (thanks)

Have a good day all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Dull start to the day weatherwise - not so on ERs, natch! - so my venture a bit of garden tidying.

My surname is Dudley, so I have a whole lot of West Midlands to relate to. My father's surname was actually Salkeld - but he changed it in the late 30s, didn't ever tell me, so I have no idea why.

Need to get on with the holiday thread - pictures will be appearing today, I hope.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. A sunny start after a very wet yesterday.

I beieve there is a river Don up north but my surname is most unlikely to be a place name (Willsmer)

Debs did the Wirral Wobble worry the woofers?

Don

No earthquakes here. The dawn was pitch black with lowered clouds and general wetness. However it now appears to have cleared to sunny! with some stringy white clouds. Very pleasant looking, but still cool at 19c

Happy Hump day all.

• RMweb Gold

Me.

Millions of them, all over the world.

So there is really a place called "That arrogant Scouser" then ? phew.

Excuse me?

You may well think me arrogant but I am not a Scouser.

• RMweb Gold

- but he changed it in the late 30s, didn't ever tell me, so I have no idea why.

Name changes can cause all kinds of complications. My mother's parents didn't get married until the mid 1920s as Gran's first husband was missing in WW1 and they had to wait for a 7 year gap to have a legal presumed death. It turned out (in the 1980s )he had deserted and somehow got to Canada and started a new life. My mother and a couple of her siblings had their mother's married surname on the birth certificates and this was the surname they were known by at school. They started using their father's name when they started work. Mum's birth certificate had a hole in it where here father had scratched out the original entry. 

On my father's side I did try to trace some of the family history but gave up. I thought I would look at the army records for Granddad.

I've seen plenty of pictures of him in uniform but he doesn't seem to exist. I recall that he enlisted under-age using someone elses identity. Don't know the name though!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning and we have sunshine!!! two days of rain and now the suns rays, a bit of a breeze but who cares!

Off to the model shop this morning then the supermarket this afternoon, oh joy!

Enjoy whatever your doing today!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well the weather here in sunny Hampshire is...sunny. Like Ian I'm heading out into the garden to bury some more plants. 

Casualties so far are minimal, with only a cucumber being eaten by a snail - I guess the snail was faster than I was. :/

Heading back up to the Midlands over the weekend; mixture of work and maybe a trip on the SVR. 

Anyway, enjoy your day everyone.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

grey but not raining here in Leeds - game on today!

may get back to RMWeb today ...in the meantime

stay calm and umpire cricket!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Firstly the earthquake info for those interested

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=319429

While USGS offers the following, quoting you will note its proximity to the city of Nefyn (which according to Wikimisinformia had a population of 2,619 in 2001)

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000h7yc#summary

As far as place names go I believe there are two towns in France with our name - one I definitely know about as I've got a copy of the signalling diagram somewhere (anyone else got or had a signalbox with their name on it ? - apart from Richard Happy Hippo that is).

Weather has calmed down - not too wonderful driving down to Greenham Common yesterday but a very interesting array of auction lots for tomorrow although I'm not heading for the auction as it will be a lot sorting etc day at home.  Anyway I left commission bids on three lots one of which will at least give the likes of Mr Gostude a run for his money if he's trying to stock up on Western outline recent Bachmann while another is a quite nicely put together GW 'Bulldog' of K's origin but which looks to have a mixture of Romford and Nucro wheels, the third is for a box lot of all sorts of odds and ends of mainly scenic stuff but dealers tend to pay ludicrous prices for that sort of thing while I have bid what it's worth so I doubt I'll not be seeing it.  Alas the only attractive book lot - 19 in all - contained only a couple that interested me, about 8 I've already got and the rest I don't want - so that's c.£40 saved and a happy dealer will no doubt be taking them off to his shop and making a good profit on two of them (which I've already got).

Anyway that's enough of that  and off for a toddle round RMweb while awaiting Daily Orders.

Have a good day folks.

• Like 3