The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all!

Just a short note to say I'm safely home, have had a smashing break, culminating in a Railex visit that introduced me to no less than a dozen RMwebbers, so I was very pleased with life yesterday.

More anon.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Home now after a day at house warming in West London. House was a fantastic location for plane spotters.

Some of the relatives (by marriage) started talking about politics so I went and helped entertain the new puppy (photo later) .

Apart from the brief political chat it was a lovely day.

We ended up using the North Circular to go there as an alternative to the M25, but came home on the motorway.

Helped Matthew sort out a financial niggle by phone and text. Some organisations are obstructive but this is the second time that the Post Office credit card people have provided help. Very impressed.

• Like 2

Good morning all, not much to report from here.  Been without water now for around 24 hours.....................the plumber is "on his way"  

Whatever you're up to today, 

Try and enjoy,

Trev

Morning All,

The sun is shining today, and the sky is blue - which makes a change from the rain we have had over the past few days.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

Thanks, BoD.

I'm in a 'having to juggle' position this month as a largish credit hasn't yet materialised.

If I call on alternative funds then I ruin a long term deal I have with my bank.

What will probably happen is that, after fiddling the books, the credit will arrive in time.

However, I know other folk are in a far worse position.

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Back to normal with lots of rain this morning & 10oC.

Had a great weekend spent mainly in the sunshine complying with management's requests instructions so I am fully gardened out! The miraculous thing is that just for once my back & knee only ache slightly instead of the usual agony. However I haven't told Chris so she thinks I'll need a couple of days off to recover. Could be more if I can get away with it!  :onthequiet:

Trev - I couldn't imagine being without water for 24 hours here let alone where you are - hope your plumber gets there soon!

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

Cold, grey and wet in not so sunny Shropshire this morning.

The rest of the family are either at work or preparing to visit relatives and friends for a few days, so I am now 2ic of the house and grounds.

Elsa the dog will oversee my activities, and I have already been instructed to commence modelling (railway, not winter swimwear) and not to disturb her until a dry spell occurs when we can go for a walk.

I have it on good authority that Staffies are allergic to rainwater, and will start melting should a drop fall onto their fur.  It does however become inert on hitting the ground and it then quite safe to bodysurf through the submerged wheel ruts in the various fields, as is charging across and through the irrigation ditches in pursuit of imaginary rabbits.

Regards

Richard

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Weather in Leeds - wet - so why did the England Team take so long to declare yesterday? Poor management and apparent lack of need of local knowledge?

Never mind my game is off today - trying to sort out a double (umpire) booking for tomorrow then modelling...

Have a stupendously good day today people!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A lovely sunny start to the day - photographing 66184 on the Peak Forest - Norwich stone at 07:25. A lovely amble to work down sunny lanes with very little traffic and a cup of tea to get me going.

The sun has now gone and it's gloomy, looking like rain even.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It may have been sunny earlier but I was asleep until Aditi woke me to say she was off to work. It is raining now and is forecast to continue. 

I have a day of pottering, tidying up and waiting for a few deliveries. I'm glad I don't have to do accounts. When we were in the position some years ago of moving debt around it wasn't my idea of fun. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I think they tried to let Trott get his ton.

It may still work out if there is any play.

I didn't understand the decision,  given the weather forecast but I suppose if there is play today ,,,

Though I can remember a time when England were in positions where only the weather saved them from defeat!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Haven't really read all the deathless prose and news since I was last here, but gather that there has been the usual sprinkling of nice and nasty. I did catch sight of Sherry's pic of a steam loco from last week, and thought how terribly similar her shot was to one of mine - a casual observer of both might have concluded we were standing next to each other.....

Later that day I witnessed Bittern starting away from Kingswear, wreathed in water vapour (steam is invisible, ISTR) courtesy of 3 RMwebbers who rolled out the red carpet for me. They were Captain Kernow, Re6/6 and 10800. I met them again at Railex on Sunday, along with another dozen RMwebbers.

I am probably going to start a Wheeltappers thread about my hol, to avoid clogging up ERs, which is intended to be a light read, after all.

Overnight rain has rendered my gardening task impossible today. Shame.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

definitely looks like rain here, Henry has come in at least three times since the earlyish hours especially in order to be dried off, he looks 'orribly cute wrapped in a pink towel but I don't think he'd like the neighbourhood cats & dogs to know that.  Also far easier to get his thyroid pill into him when he's wrapped up.

So it's wet but not too windy and I understand we are going to a coffee morning day which must rate as the ultimate boredom in my version of the world - hopefully we can get away quickly, preferably very quickly and it is reasonably handy for a better branch of Waitrose than we have locally.  Now if I can work in an auction viewing as well all might work out nicely ... IF ... (lots of kitbuilt locos this time round but mainly LNER variety I believe).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Haven't really read all the deathless prose and news since I was last here, but gather that there has been the usual sprinkling of nice and nasty. I did catch sight of Sherry's pic of a steam loco from last week, and thought how terribly similar her shot was to one of mine - a casual observer of both might have concluded we were standing next to each other.....

Later that day I witnessed Bittern starting away from Kingswear, wreathed in water vapour (steam is invisible, ISTR) courtesy of 3 RMwebbers who rolled out the red carpet for me. They were Captain Kernow, Re6/6 and 10800. I met them again at Railex on Sunday, along with another dozen RMwebbers.

I am probably going to start a Wheeltappers thread about my hol, to avoid clogging up ERs, which is intended to be a light read, after all.

Overnight rain has rendered my gardening task impossible today. Shame.

Good to meet you at Railex.

Glad you made it back home and I see the weather is just the same as it is here - wet!!

Look forward to seeing the photos of your trip.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

I didn't understand the decision,  given the weather forecast but I suppose if there is play today ,,,

Though I can remember a time when England were in positions where only the weather saved them from defeat!

Strange - all of the local league teams would have gone in on Sunday and Bashed the ball about - if its says rain  you set a good target - quickly - then bowl them out....

Some very strange management/captaincy decisions being made by England at the moment ...

worse still how can we - in a senior league with a fair smattering of current and ex Country and county players manage to get 100 overs in in 6 hours and 20 minutes (3 hrs 10 mins per 50 overs) and they complain about 94 overs in an extended day ?  As the Westin Terrace would say - "Get on with it - either get on or get out....."

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from drizzly Hampshire.

The glorious sunshine of the Bank Holiday weekend has been replaced by a steady downpour. Good for the garden, no doubt.

Was a busy weekend with the in-laws visiting - much to the surprise of swmbo, gardening, feeding the tribe and even got some time to work on my layout. Will try to post a photo later.

At some point light pruning of an ash tree turned to felling. Maybe this was triggered by me leaning on the tree trunk and large chunks of it fell to dust. 

I'd be interested to learn if any of you can identify the creature in this photo...seems to be the pupa stage that lives underneath the bark of our Ash tree. Not sure if it is also in our Yew tree, or if it is specific to Ash trees. 

post-4299-0-84255800-1369734662.jpg

Have a nice day everybody, and good to see Ian back in the fold! 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested to learn if any of you can identify the creature in this photo...seems to be the pupa stage that lives underneath the bark of our Ash tree. Not sure if it is also in our Yew tree, or if it is specific to Ash trees. 

It looks a bit like the creature from the Alien films.

Googling Hampshire, ash, and pupae seems to suggest the Ash Pug moth but photos of pupae to compare seem elusive. DD might give it a home in his insect house?

I think they tried to let Trott get his ton.

It may still work out if there is any play.

I wondered whether they decided they needed some batting practice (i.e. not thrashing practice)........

It's all I could think off.

Glad Ian D. is back. He gives our drivel a weighty, philosophical tone............ :mail:

Best, Pete.

• Like 1