The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Car passed its  MoT. But why do MoT inspectors and garage mechanics always return the car with the seat pushed back as far as it can physically go?  Genuinely I saw the inspector today and he was certainly shorter than me, as is my usual mechanic.  :scratchhead:

Pete, there's a movement over here to get people to eat more insects - intentionally, that is, as opposed to just stray cockroaches that drop in to your normal restaurant fare. Maybe you could start an export business. You'd need to label them up as organic, free-range to get people to bite, though.  :yes:

Andy

Because it's now part of the test to make sure the seat has the full range of adjustment. Or possibly they were looking for six legged snacks!

Ed

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Car passed its  MoT. But why do MoT inspectors and garage mechanics always return the car with the seat pushed back as far as it can physically go?  Genuinely I saw the inspector today and he was certainly shorter than me, as is my usual mechanic.  :scratchhead:

Is it that as part of the test, they have to check the seat for free movement and for the safe operation of the catch?

Back to see what has been occurring, and lo and behold, we're getting nature lessons galore - never let it be said that we're an ignorant bunch on here - we really seem very erudite and educated compared to some web forum members!

EDIT - I was typing the above reply when Ed came in with his answer

S

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it that as part of the test, they have to check the seat for free movement and for the safe operation of the catch?

EDIT - I was typing the above reply when Ed came in with his answer

S

Because it's now part of the test to make sure the seat has the full range of adjustment. Or possibly they were looking for six legged snacks!

Ed

Well, you learn  something everyday. Ta. :) 

Still, curious how the relatively short examiner actually drove the car to where they left it after they'd finished the inspection. In my naivite, I sort of assumed they'd hand it back to me at the garage where I took it, not give me walking instructions on how to find it. Hey, ho.

I'll remember to put something reptilian under the seat for next time.  :jester:

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cars - hmmm.  It has just taken an hour to work out how to release the headlamp on a Flawed Focus to replace a bulb - accessability zero!  It's fine once you work out by braille where the clips are...grumble.

Stick your mobile phone in and take a photo first

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I did that exactly when one of our mobile video projector units at school wouldn't work and I couldn't see how exactly the cabling inside the cabinet was connected! Turned out it required more extensive repairs, but at least I tried fixing it myself...

• RMweb Gold

When we had a hire car some years ago in New England I had such a job getting all the cases in the boot I took a photo and printed when we arrived at our friends house. There was a big lever in the boot that kept getting in the way of the largest suitcase. I'm not sure why a car with a boot needs an internal release lever. Perhaps an anti kidnap device? I did get stuck in the back of the Renault Scenic once when I was fitting a dog guard and the tailgate shut. No internal door release which would have been useful I suppose. I had to remove the guard and start again. I then fitted new tailgate gas struts!

• RMweb Gold

It was a tip I got from my brother-in-law, a gynaecologist.

I think he was talking about changing bulbs in cars.

• RMweb Gold

There's no room to stick a phone there (or anything else...) it's about a 10mm gap, a long screwdriver gets it, but it's damn hard to see where to press!

Is it one of the vehicles that you have to take the wheel off and find an access panel for the lights?

Found this. Looks tricky!

! Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

See in good old days I could dismantle my Dad's Morris Minor with one screwdriver and one double ended ring spanner.

Despite being a Chartered Engineer who has even been a rocket scientist the "Design for Manufacture" lads in the car industry see easy pickings when we try to fix anything.....  and headlight bulb replacement which involves the removal of the battery, air con ducting and other bits of "engine" is not right. Perhaps they need to learn that lean has to be applicable to repair as well as manufacture....

Sorry to report that my friend Lynnie is at the end of her days.

Comatose on morphine, blind now and can't speak with feed through a tube.

When I was at school, a clever friend wrote a play entitled "The Rose and Crown".

The closing line was, "If life is a rose, then death is a crown".

Nothing could be more apt in Lynnie's case.

A much loved light is going out in the world.

I've kept quiet about it recently in view of others' troubles but it seemed right to mention it in these circumstances.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

I'm saddened to hear about your friend, DD – even though I guess it had to be expected, given her situation... I hope she will not have to endure any more suffering and I'm sure you'll be keeping her in good memory, going by what you related about her.

Dom

DD: Thank you for sharing the news about your dear friend. Words are inadequate at such times but Lynnie is obviously a special person whose memory will live on in the hearts of all who love her. Thinking of you.

• Like 1

Morning All,

It is a wet, grey and rather miserable morning around these parts. 

Sorry to hear about Lynnie, DD - loosing a friend is never easy.

On the subject of car parts, I despair!  These days, it seems the manufacturers make their money on parts rather than the cars themselves, for instance:

• Timing belts - what a silly idea!  Chains are far more resilient, and don't break causing the engine to need a compete rebuild.
  • Water pumps - My ex-wife had a 1.6 Astra, the water pump was the same as my 1.8 Zafira except for the mounting holes and a little reservoir so you could see when it was leaking.  The Zafira one was twice the price.
  • Plus, why is it when you need to change a headlamp bulb, you need the hands of a Geisha and the muscles of a Gorilla?!?

Have a good day everyone...

PS:  I found the layout thread I was looking for!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

up early to go to umpire some Under 13s. Hurt my back last week and it isn't getting any better so more Ibuprofen on its way! Trivial compared to the pain and suffering of others across the world.

Breezy but grey in Leeds so far today.

Have as good a day as you can folks!

Barry

Thanks for supportive messages.

I just hope she doesn't linger too long now.

It's only her spirit that has kept her going this far - against predictions.

In typical fashion, she booked a plot in woodland not far from here - 18 months ago.

I won't keep on about it but expressing feelings is something I'm comfortable to do on ERs.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather dull here. I have been given a couple of shopping errands today. I don't think bags of mushroom compost are available from the supermarket so I'll brave the Mr Magoo driving experience (B&Q carpark on over 60s discount day) to buy it. 

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps they have to test the seat movement in case either a midget or a giant wants to steal your car. I suppose the issue is one of safty if you cannot reach the pedals you cannot brake.

Off to take the Motorhome for a service and MOT today.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it one of the vehicles that you have to take the wheel off and find an access panel for the lights?

Found this. Looks tricky!

!

Sorry to hear of your friend, DD.  I agree ER is a place we seek solace and comfort though.  How odd how we feel comfortable with that, but we do.

As for the Flawed Focus, mine is a bit different to that as it's an '06, and a 1.8TDCi diesel.  It is equally a PIA though.  Once you know where the clips actually are it's not too bad, but they are almost impossible to see from above. Of course I will have forgotten by the time it needs another replacement lamp!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps they have to test the seat movement in case either a midget or a giant wants to steal your car. I suppose the issue is one of safty if you cannot reach the pedals you cannot brake.

Off to take the Motorhome for a service and MOT today.

Don

Bet your motorhome comes back with the driver's seat in the bathroom. :)

• Like 1