The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from overcast Hampshire.

Happy birthday Ashers. Hope you have a nice day. 

Tony, agree about the falsetto Count, but I was hoping for more of those drumming grannies again. :)

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Slightly overcast at the moment but it is forecast to be sunny later.

I will carry on doing some tidying in the garage today. A trainset sized space may appear if I carry on at yesterdays pace. 

Tony

That would be good Tony. To reach the back of my shed still requires pitons and climbing ropes in there somewhere is an 0 gauge layout (no scenics as yet) plus some extra baseboards.

Happy birthday Ash

Don

Hello all.

A clear blue sky, nil wind and warming up to an expected 23C.

No trains or railways to watch. Boo Hoo.

I'll have to to to the layouts section.

Roast chicken for lunch, though no stuffing since they roast chicken breasts, thighs and legs, no whole chickens.

They do a good job though as they are generally tasty and tender.

Happy Sunday to you all and A HAPPY BITHDAY to Ashers!

I'll drink to your health at lunch.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Ashers, may you enjoy many more!

Not much to report from here, moved into the new apartment yesterday, and of course there are things that dont work....but they'll get sorted . 

Now just to sort through the mountain (a whole trees worth!) of paper work that I seem to have acquired....

Whatever you're up to today,  try and find something to smile at!

Trev. 

Morning all and Happy Birthday to Ashcombe.

Grandfather on Mother's side was in the Andrew during the Great War (Jutland and all that); Mum's brother was also in the Andrew and picked up a gong for sinking the Scharnhorst (he wasn't the only person involved, just that his name was the lucky one as TGO from his ship that fired the torpedos in that case) and Mum was a Jenny Wren. With that background, I was lucky to avoid the Grey Funnel Line tied up in Pompey Harbour and get into the Merch to really see the world - well Single Point Mooring Buoys in the Arabian Gulf to the same thing in The Med / The North Sea / lightening tankers in Ashcombe's home bay! Actually, the smaller ships were the ones that got you to places where you could berth to a jetty and there are quite a few such places I really did like, just as I'm sure Neil has a few favourites. What happens on tour stays on tour!

My Dad never referred to the Navy as the Andrew, but his friend whose funeral I attended in January always did. What is the origin of this term?

Ed

Morning all and Happy Birthday to Ashcombe.

My Dad never referred to the Navy as the Andrew, but his friend whose funeral I attended in January always did. What is the origin of this term?

Ed

Hi Ed,

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/sea-and-ships/facts/faqs/royal-navy's-nickname

This is one version! I have no specific idea of the origin, only that it has been in use for many years.

Take care friend!

• RMweb Premium

Well, that was one successful photo round! I've now retired to the balcony for as long as the weather will hopefully hold, as a large rain front with possible t-storms has been forecast.

Have a look on my RMweb trainspotting blog here, if you like: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/74/entry-11664-steam-in-the-hessian-suburbs/

...after looking at this appetiser:

dsc080971mu32.jpg

• Like 12

It`s mowing season already......... :O

What a chore: it`s a dog`s life!

OneTegwentomowclevercolliesMedium.jpg

Being the first cut of the year; she needed to clean the H.T lead and pull on the choke-chain to get it started! :jester:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

From a creamcrackered 45156 - overdid it this morning the the garden, as has 30747 - a bit of remodelling which has involved lifting gravel and then relaying a load of slabs, and carting in heavy bags of topsoil then flattening same and seeding to make a grassed area. 

As I was then on dinner duty, the old 45156 standby of a prepacked Indian meal for two is coming to the rescue.  It may not really bear any resemblance to real Asian cusine, but for a fiver it's not too bad.  Regrettably we've a lot to compare this offering to as we have one of the best Asian restaurants here in Lancaster in The Sultan of Lancaster, and their chef is a talented muti-award winner.

Not a great deal to report here, so I'll get on.

Regards to All

Stewart

ps Happy Birthday, Sherry - sorry I missed it earlier.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

Been exploring the recesses of one of the cupboards. Why is it that something which has lain untouched since it was palced there still looks useful when you get reminded of its existance. It is probably genetic for millions of years it was helpful to hang on to things as we didn't have much. Now we are all weighed down by the stuff we have. Excluding of course all those boxes of bits that might be useful for the layout.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Late on parade as herself decided she wanted to go to the Fawley McAlpine thing today having heard that it involves animals and it sounded quite interesting - so we did, and we watched the dog show which was amusing in parts but the 'cleverest tricks' bit was something of a let down as there was not a collie to be seen anywhere.  Anyway a pleasant day out, we saw a few folk we know and herself bought me (or rather owes me the money for because I paid for it) a belated birthday present in the shape of a painting - it appears at bottom right in this view of the cover of 'Emotions of Railway Art' and is of a Tralee & Dingle loco although the character alongside it is based on a well known picture of James Dean; saw the painting yesterday and loved it from first sight.

post-6859-0-43451900-1368978020.jpg

• Like 4

Linky not worky!

Were you shown the "Golden Rivet" in the bowels of the ship.........

Best, Pete.

Still works for me Pete! "Golden rivet my a**e" to paraphrase TV's The Royal Family.