The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Light cloud in Gruffaloland this morning. Busy days ahead so no rail progress although set out two baseboards last night.

Ed - take great care, Alfie will be somewhat demanding I guess but clearly provides much company for you. Good luck in your recovery!

Yet more holidays Robert? Our secular society wouldn't recognise them but the PC brigade would like to add Ramadan and Eed to our calendar, though we ignore St George's Day yet celebrate St Patrick's.

• Like 4

I'm very pleased that all is going well, Ed.

An inspiring story:

An elderly friend (a train driver) was forced to give up work following two fatal accidents and subsequent heart troubles.

In 1994, having been given the proverbial six months to live, he emigrated to Lanzarote with his wife.

The Spanish doctors threw all his medication in the bin and gave him different medicines.

Now, nearly 20 years later he is still going strong.

We've visited a couple of times and he looks younger than when he left.

Not the first such instance I have heard of, an uncle of my wife's survived in Spain but had been written off by the NHS 20 years ago. I believe the NHS is better today, Ed and I have both survived cardiac issues, but cancer survival still lags much of Europe. Too many management layers siphoning off resources in my view!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Inspiring story DD. I wonder whether the key difference was a change of life style. Perhaps a little of that Spanish Maniana attitude added to getting away from whatever was stressing him.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sun is out, 45156 has a day off - going out for the morning with 30747 and Lily, then (ugh) "I'm going to my art group this afternoon, we're short on food, so you can get the shopping" - a trip to Sainsbugs is indicated - though I might get adventurous and go to Morrisons - wow choice choices.  EIther way, I get the short straw.  I was a real ER this morning, as Lily decided to throw up about half past five - but I didn't log on then, though it would have been novel for me to be a real ER for once.

Got one of my least favourite radio presenters on while typing - Chris Evans, as I wanted to see what sort of fist he made of the Dam Busters anniversary broadcast, and he is making it sound more like a trip to Alton Towers.  Only Radio 2 could give something that should have a little gravitas to a presenter who is renowned for his bombastic style.

Dog walking calls so

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Logged on successfully at 9:30.

Foot is still troublesome. Will be seeing surgeon on Monday.

Weather clear and "fine" but max temp still 20C.

It's Friday. Nuclear potatoes for lunch (Fission chips!)

Does anybody remember the episode of "My family" where Ben retires and starts to paint soldiers and gives up after one?

I'm thinking of the task ahead of DD who plans to paint 100plus!

I hope the weekend provides good weather and happy occupations!

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I think it must have "whiskers" like the Bachman................

cheers, Pete.

I stuffed the pocket with the bronzey springy bit that comes with a Kadee. This wasn't on the Davenport but some Bachmann stock. The ON30 range uses the same standard as their HO stuff. I do think even the Kadee 5 looks better than the plastic Bachmann couplers. I don't change them until they go wrong though I have met people who do to keep a standard across their fleet of models.

I'm not sure what the equivalent whiskered Kadee to number 5 would be.

• RMweb Gold

I was a real ER this morning, as Lily decided to throw up about half past five - but I didn't log on then, though it would have been novel for me to be a real ER for once.

The joy of pets. Robbie is normally quite a slow eater, he prefers to snack at his food but if he bolts it when excited it can have spectacular consequences. He always looks so surprised!

I bought him a new bed yesterday, the old one was very tatty. It lasted quite well as I think he only uses his bed for some of the night. He also likes the doormat or snuggles up to the side of the refrigerator. He didn't eat the new bed so he must be OK with it!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The joy of pets. Robbie is normally quite a slow eater, he prefers to snack at his food 

I bought him a new bed yesterday, the old one was very tatty. It lasted quite well

When I first read that I thought it said "very tasty!"

It's a good job that I've just remembered I've got  an appointment at the opticians shortly!  :blind:

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a gloriously sunny Fraggle Rock.  Torrential rain forecast tomorrow, oh, that's Saturday of course.  Bah.  I was going to spend the day clearing fallen trees at Groudle but I suspect that has just been cancelled. 

Theraping later, deep joy.

Does anybody remember the episode of "My family" where Ben retires and starts to paint soldiers and gives up after one?

I'm thinking of the task ahead of DD who plans to paint 100plus!

It's actually 200 plus, Don.

I'll start with their eyes and work outwards using a big brush.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry and sunny which is good because I ordered a ton of decorative gravel to be delivered today, hmm indeed it arrived at 0730 and was delivered by dump bag and placed at the bottom of the drive. This meant we couldn't get any cars out till it was moved!

My youngest who is home from uni (allegedly to study for his final exams) was duly kicked out of bed, wheelbarrow and spades found and said gravel was moved in record time. I'm off for a tennis lesson and said son has gone back to bed with his back hurting lol!

90% done on the garden project now, oh yes the end is in sight!

Have a good day and for the workers its Friday!

Edited by Shedman5

Morning all.

It is a damp morning here, but rather pleasant.

That's a lovely Car Nidge. The Mini has been a favourite of mine since childhood. I finally got one of my own a couple of years ago - unfortunately it turned out not to be a very good buy!

In other news, I think my modelling mojo may be returning. I found myself looking at my layout last night.

Have a good day everyone...

Bit of a show stopper that Minisprint Robert, despite not being everyone's cup of tea it takes you instantly back to the '60s. Like you I've had the Mini bug since I was a nipper, I've tried to give it up twice but it doesn't seem to have worked! What was your Mini like then... bit of a bad one was it...?

Here's another fave - a club member's '65 Radford Hatchback Cooper S... dead posh!

DSCF3586b_zpsf5cd4bd3.jpg

;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Running late and slightly confused about which day of the week we're on as we didn't got to Waitrose but went to Tesco instead.  Then home to more strimmering (which got a seal of approval) - now followed by a bit of a redesign plan which fortunately won't involve too much labour, I think.

So finally arrived here.  Looking very cloudy outside but no rain forecast by the seaweed consultants and none for tomorrow either.  Daughter has informed me that she would rather go to Fawley first tomorrow if I was thinking of going to the Wycombe Club's open day first because if we go there I'll only get talking to people and we'll never get to Fawley.  So with lots of attractions at Fawley I'm now wondering if we'll get to Wycombe and we certainly won't get to Knowle Hill or Bracknell - why do all these things happen on the same weekend I wonder?

Have a good day folks (what's left of it) and great to hear things seem nice and positive Ed - will you make Railex or not?

• RMweb Premium

I had actually been thinking about a Mini when I made my driver's licence back in '98. There'd just been the issue of it having a fairly small boot, which eventually put me off it. However, I was quite taken by its handling characteristics!

• Like 2

Just enjoyed a little fun with an obnoxious (North American) cruise-tourist as he boasted about the Queen Mary 2 liner he`d just come from, for a day trip ashore........He was loudly telling anyone who would listen, about his huge cabin and the luxury appointments (and the high-cost of the ticket). :no:

I couldn`t resist telling him (tongue-in-cheek) that HSC Manannan (berthed nearby) was just the tender for 'our' ship: which was way-too large to come alongside! :mosking:

• Like 4

Just enjoyed a little fun with an obnoxious (North American) cruise-tourist as he boasted about the Queen Mary 2 liner he`d just come from, for a day trip ashore........He was loudly telling anyone who would listen, about his huge cabin and the luxury appointments (and the high-cost of the ticket). :no:

I couldn`t resist telling him (tongue-in-cheek) that HSC Manannan (berthed nearby) was just the tender for 'our' ship: which was way-too large to come alongside! :mosking:

QM2 visits The Wirral???

The Ugly American sounds like a lottery winner, Debs...

Best, Pete.

QM2 visits The Wirral???

The Ugly American sounds like a lottery winner, Debs...

Best, Pete.

She`s alongside in Liverpool.........I went to have a marvel at her: she`s a very nice ship indeed! :angel:

I think the chap would have been obnoxious had he originated from any country! :nono:

• Like 1

We have enough to go around, Whenever I meet one (that doesn't know me) I like to tell them to address me as "Your Grace"......they tend to be fairly innocent, really and unworldly.

You can have some fun with them and they deserve it, unfortunately.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1