The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I read that as frocks the first time..... :O

We saw a young lady having her wedding photographs at Vermillion Lakes near Banff. She was wearing a traditional wedding dress. Canadian women must be very hardy as I think that was the first day that Aditi wore her "Arctic" parka. 

• Like 1

Our music teacher had known Holst - so you can guess what we got!

Holsters?

Hi DD, I'm puzzled by the 16 drummers but only 2 drums? Aren't the side drums, tenor drums and base drums attached to the men?

Note: I expect to see the regimental crest painted on the rim of the base drum(s), also a leopard skin apron on the base drummer's chest!

I assume the other drums have been lost, Don.

No problem - I'm going to cut them about anyway. I'll give them some drums.

I'll copy the crests from their buttons.

I read that as frocks the first time..... :O

Each to his own, Neil.

That last one looks French-Canadien...........

I've got another question Tony - I know you answered it but I can't find the answer. THe On30 Davenport - what is a straight fit replacement for the Bachman coupling?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Late on parade as the work scheduling fruit machine pulled me a late (18.30) finish, and I also had an early start due to having to "pay back" some time that I had to take to visit my GP about my persistent backache.  The cure has, I think, arrived as I revisited the Orthotics team the other week, as my physio told me that my gait was wrong, and I am putting 33% of my weight on the left leg, and 67% on the right, and he felt that the correction in my shoes was wrong.  How right he was, as my left leg is now about 3/4" short, and the strain on my pelvis and spine is causing the pain.  So they've arranged for one of my shoes to be built up (and it can't be seen) - result is that I am now walking level for the first time in two years.  Pete, I think, mentioned a while ago that he had managed to compensate for a similar problem, and It's unfortunate that I haven't managed to do so.

I'm fully caught up, and most pleased to learn that Ed is on the right side of the treatment - get well quickly, Ed. 

For those who want to know, this was what 30747 discovered when she was working in the garden, and Lily was "helping".

post-103-0-79324300-1368731712_thumb.jpg

I'm creamcrackered, so I'm shutting down for some shutting eye.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 7

Morning All,

It is a nice morning here - sunshine and blue sky.  Hopefully it will last, although the forecast doesn't seem to suggest it will.

TVR - Towing Vehicle Required.

Your Mini is going to look great when it's finished Nidge.  I am very envious - even more now that I know it has a right hand fuel tank - that makes it a Cooper then. 

I am a little surprised that heritage don't make a panel with the right hand tank, but then I guess there aren't enough genuine Coopers left to justify it.

Have a good day everyone...

Towing Vehicle Required - not heard that one before Robert!

My Mini has a r/hand tank as it was fitted from new being a genuine Mk2 Cooper S - it was an option up to January '66 (during Mk1 production) and standard fitment thereafter - the Mk2s came in in September '67 so all Mk2 S's had them anyway, and it was still an option on the smaller engined 998 Cooper. I think if Heritage did do a rear panel with twin tank holes they'd only sell the odd one or two! These are rare cars certainly (only 6,329 Mk2 1275 S's were built making them rarer than the much sought after Mk1 variety) but saying that last week I found out there's another near identical one in the same colour as mine living a few streets away, and yesterday I found out about another in Banbury (same colour again!) which has been with the same owner since 1973!

The presence of a right hand tank doesn't automatically make a Mini a Cooper S going on first impressions (not in Mk1 form anyway) - there are lots of givaways, some visible and some not which you'd need to see to know what's real and what isn't... it's a minefield and there are lots of fakes out there! When I bought mine one or two little things didn't quite add up as it had been restored once already with one or two badly done bodges, but now we've removed the trim and most of the paint the tell tale signs are definitely there, on top of the ones I could actually see when I first laid eyes on it. It has a complicated history, some of which is only just coming to light - I think that because it sat in the Morris showroom in Acton for six months before being put on the road, it may have been a cancelled order as it was one of the last Mk2 S's built with the old 3 synchro gearbox in October '68, the first 4 synchro one being built a few days later which was probably seen as more attractive to new customers back then. It still has it's original 1275 engine and it looks like it's been repainted at least four times in forty five years, although it's been the same colour for the last twenty two of those. At some point it was all over black, which was quite common for 'old Coopers' in the '70s - I'm contemplating painting it black again, or possibly a very dark blue / purple shade. Although everything else on the car is standard spec it'll look a bit different to the others on the show curcuit -  a friend of mine with a similar car has got some genuine period smoked glass for me to fit so it'll look a bit like a Radford or Wood & Picket Mini (think Beatles / Mick Jagger / Mike Nesmith etc).  ;)

(period tinted glass on this rare Mk1 Minisprint)

DSCF3588_zpscdff4fa0.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I too associated enigma with Elgar. Probably not a bad choice while modelling. It time to give up if you are playing Queen another one bites the dust! Mind you if you are pressing out rivets on an etched kit the Anvil Chorus seems appropriate.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That last one looks French-Canadien...........

I've got another question Tony - I know you answered it but I can't find the answer. THe On30 Davenport - what is a straight fit replacement for the Bachman coupling?

Best, Pete.

I can't find whatever I wrote either but does Kadee 5 or 58 (the scale version) sound familiar.

• RMweb Premium

Pete

Dickie Bird is amusing, the autobiography of Sir Gary Sobers is OK as is the various autobiographies of Brearley, Botham and "Sir" Geoffrey.

If you want a bit of history John Major has written an excellent history of cricket from the 1100s to early in the 1900s.

I will dig out some ISBN if that helps?

Barry

All except the last one taken near the station  in Jasper.

attachicon.gifCN6015.jpg

Here's what was 'stuffed and mounted' at Jasper station in the summer of 1968:

post-1771-0-40650800-1368745497.jpg

Apologies for the quality. It was only the second roll of colour I'd ever shot. It had been given to me by my aunt. I think it came from one of those companies that provided free film if you had your pictures developed and printed by them - 'Gratispool' or somebody like that.

• Like 6

Morning all.

It is a damp morning here, but rather pleasant.

That's a lovely Car Nidge. The Mini has been a favourite of mine since childhood. I finally got one of my own a couple of years ago - unfortunately it turned out not to be a very good buy!

In other news, I think my modelling mojo may be returning. I found myself looking at my layout last night.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2

Good morning all, 

Yet another Friday dawns....was it only a week ago that I was travelling around Vancouver.......seems like a month!

I'm also in the process of moving apartments, due to company changes I have too. It's surprising how much junk you acquire, even though I've only been here 7 years>.  

What ever you're up to today try and find some thing to smile at!

Trev  

Good morning all. Many thanks for all the good wishe and likes etc. It has meant a lot over the last month. I came out of hospital yesterday and spent the night at no. 2 son's flat, having been fetched by no. 1 son and wife.

The news from the doctors is that I can drive one week after the procedure (ie Wednesday) as it is mote than a month after the heart attack, this is what the DVLA web site says.

Back home later today after

Ken takes me shopping, they are back to Cornwall later. Lots to sort out at home, not sure whether to collect Alfie tomorrow or leave it for a couple of days until I'm a bit stronger.

Any way, thanks again

Ed

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Dry start, blue sky with a few clouds 7oC & as usual possibly some showers to come.

Ed - it's good to hear you are on the mend.

Nothing much on the agenda today except grandchildren here again later.

Cheers,

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather cloudy at the moment. 

I think today is a "tidy up" day. Aditi will be going to central London today so will need a lift to the station.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Looking fairly gloomy this a.m. and I'm not really awake yet either... Rain is on the forecast for today, but in between, we do need to plant those new flowers for the balcony.

Mind you if you are pressing out rivets on an etched kit the Anvil Chorus seems appropriate.

Either that, or The Prodigy's "Firestarter"! :sarcastic:

Edited by 1216 025

Preparing for bed.

Friday a little cooler than Thursday.

Today: Mostly Sunny at 23C.

Cutting the grass day!

Any storm chasers should have some interesting times from Texas to the Dakota's over the next few days... Large outbreak of tornados expected as far east as St.Louis.

Later, Pete.

I'm in the office now - having dropped the little guy at school.  I had a good run this morning, there was very little traffic compared with a normal Morning.  Perhaps everyone has headed off early for their long weekend.  We have a Bank Holiday on Monday.

I have always found storm chasing to be somewhat fascinating.  Not fascinating enough to want to do it, mind.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

it was a bit chilly doing the T20 last night despite it being sunny!

Cool and grey in Leeds today.

Reloading my music morning and waiting for a quote to convert the loft into a railway room  Bedroom,

Have a great day!

Barry O

I'm very pleased that all is going well, Ed.

An inspiring story:

An elderly friend (a train driver) was forced to give up work following two fatal accidents and subsequent heart troubles.

In 1994, having been given the proverbial six months to live, he emigrated to Lanzarote with his wife.

The Spanish doctors threw all his medication in the bin and gave him different medicines.

Now, nearly 20 years later he is still going strong.

We've visited a couple of times and he looks younger than when he left.

• Like 8