The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have, it seems been left a minor gardening task. Aditi did all the hard work yesterday widening the borders around the "lawn". However the transition curves between flowerbeds have become straight lines so I am designated to "sort it out". I think I may just think about it today.

"And sometimes I's just sits and thinks"

i do that a lot - it is something to do with being married to a "petite" woman, I find.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Morning all...  now defrosted after umpiring yesterday (luckily it turned into a short game!)

Very Black clouds here but things to do , places to go , people to see....

Strange, over the years the military spent a lot of money on working out why you can't use touch screens if you have either - big fingers or wear gloves - seems this has flown past the rest of the electronics design and  manufacturing world..... 

have a great day

Barry O

I have very thick callous' on my left hand tips which don't help...............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

"And sometimes I's just sits and thinks"

i do that a lot - it is something to do with being married to a "petite" woman, I find.....

Best, Pete.

The funny thing about being married to a rather short person is that she always seems to wait until I sit down until she wants something from a high shelf. Probably less effort than dealing with dents in the work surface when Aditi hasn't caught the item she has flicked out of the cupboard with some long handled kitchen implement. 

• Like 2

Morning all ;)

Hope all's well wherever you are - the weather can't seem to make it's mind up today, much the same as yesterday up at Himley Hall where the annual Mini Show got it's usual soaking around mid-day, still, it didn't deter folk from enjoying what was on display with some very tasty '60s and '70s examples coming out of the woodwork...

''Nee-nah, nee-nah, you're nicked...'', a genuine Police Mk2 1275 Austin Cooper S...

post-7638-0-30338400-1368442178_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-44853400-1368442261_thumb.jpg

A sea of Minis... take your pick!

post-7638-0-22474400-1368442470_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-33376400-1368442541_thumb.jpg

Very tidy '67 Mk1 1275 Austin Cooper S (appeared in the old Top Gear titles a while back)...

post-7638-0-50123500-1368442684_thumb.jpg

A 1967 Mk1 Morris Cooper... sliding windows, external body seams and doors hinges - all very different from the current BMW model...!

post-7638-0-50342700-1368443191_thumb.jpg

A rare 1971 Mk3 1275 Cooper S (less than 1,600 built), much plainer looking than the earlier cars... compare it with the Mk1 S alongside...

post-7638-0-56559500-1368443391_thumb.jpg

;)

post-7638-0-83983700-1368442861_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 8

I do like that '71 Mk3 Cooper S!

My problems with the original Mini's revolve around  breaking the engine stabilizer bar about every week.........and keeping them cool in Summer traffic, of course.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

I've tried manfully to catch up during problems with BT and other commitments.

I got fed up with apportioning symbols halfway through so, kindly don't take offence if I haven't ticked anything.

I've had Admin PMs to tell me I've received a couple of 'likes' so, if it keeps up, the mailboxes will be full.

I can't find a symbol for "Post May Contain Nuts" which would be very useful as we all seem quite good at writing b*ll*cks.

• Like 3

Fantastic pictures Nidge.

The Austin Cooper S is also my favourite, I would love to have one of those!

My problems with the original Mini revolve exclusively around rust - which is why mine is for sale :this:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

New coffee machine is the fourth in a decade, I think, but I do like the stuff. This one offers a "learning" facility, so it will dispense just the right amount for your favourite cup.

Postman delivered an On30 caboose today, won on ebay. Factory sealed, it cost me £10.75 - but postage from Texas was £17.88! Still, a total price of about £29 is cheaper than the same item in Europe or the UK even before postage. Anyway, glad it's arrived, as I am off on hol from Weds morning, and was concerned it might need to be hand-delivered, but it fitted in the post-box.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes when the electronics in my car go off on their own I hanker for our original car - a Highland Railway Green (Tundra) 849cc Mini. Over the time we had it I changed the ball joints, the radiator, the exhaust and could do most servicing. It wasn't fast but it could go anywhere and it sorted out my driving front wheel drive cars!!  

Come back real mini all is forgiven!

• RMweb Gold

Them's proper minis compare with one of taodays minis and todays seems to have an obesity problem. Have they made them bigger so bigger people can use them. Surely the compact size was the whole point of a mini. Wightlink are now saying that because cars are getting bigger they can get less on the ferries so prices may go up. Mind you Wightlink put up prices whenever they can think of an excuse.

What has happened to the likes etc now. Are we part of some big experiment? Psychological evaluation ( shades of Hitchhikers Guide perhaps)?

If you are getting fed up with re-thread the line on a strimmer try using shears to cut the awkward spots for a day you might think better of the strimmer. When we had geese we thought they might keep the grass down in their paddock. They did eat the grass but left all the weeds so still had to mow/strim to keep the weeds down.

Don

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The worst (appearance wise) of the present Minis seems to be the 4wd version - parked in Tesco's ever entertaining car park one of them looks almost as large as my Peugeot, and it's a 407SW!  I can't honestly see how on earth they can justify calling one of these things a mini, they look huge but presumably the idea is to appeal to all the overpaid oiks round here who apparently consider a big 4wd vehicle is what they need to do their shopping or take their offspring to/from school?

Correct typos (I hope)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

(...) who apparentluy consider a big 4wd vehicle is what they need to do their shopping or take their offspring to/from school?

As in, a ten-minute walk is intolerable for children? Don't get me started about these...

• RMweb Gold

As in, a ten-minute walk is intolerable for children? Don't get me started about these...

There are people round here who use cars, mini buses (sorry 'people carriers'), and 'umpin great 4x4s to take their children to & from schools which are less than half a mile from where they live.

• RMweb Premium

Them's proper minis compare with one of taodays minis and todays seems to have an obesity problem. Have they made them bigger so bigger people can use them. Surely the compact size was the whole point of a mini. Wightlink are now saying that because cars are getting bigger they can get less on the ferries so prices may go up. Mind you Wightlink put up prices whenever they can think of an excuse.

In recent years, I've been noticing much the same whenever I had to drive into a parking garage. It isn't pleasant either when the size of many of today's cars begins to restrict lines of sight in those confined spaces, especially when some motorists mistake car parks for race tracks!

Edited by 1216 025

• RMweb Gold

There are people round here who use cars, mini buses (sorry 'people carriers'), and 'umpin great 4x4s to take their children to & from schools which are less than half a mile from where they live.

Encouraged by the meejah, who sell newspapers warning that your child will be the next abduction victim. Every parent's nightmare, of course, so it sells papers and keeps the motor trade in business, helping raise tax revenue on cars and fuel, but leading to obesity and other ailments in children which cost the NHS more than ever before......

• Like 5

What happened in Cleveland won't have helped your or Mike's cause, Ian......The thought of some old greasy git having his way with my daughter has me reaching for both my tomahawk and machete (use your imagination).

Best, Pete.

I just realized that the old, greasy git was younger than me...so "fat, greasy git".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I may have mentioned it before that a colleague once opined she believed that if we were to open the main doors in the mornings, there would be parents who'd drive right into the concourse to drop their little ones off. I do agree with her whenever I think of the bedlam that's going on on the road outside the school grounds every a.m. and p.m.!

Actually it's not so bad, over here, Dom. Realizing the problem each of our schools has a one way system where the parents drive through, pause and drop off outside a designated door then exit via another route. It's surprisingly fluid and fast.

The fact is that the school authorities have to recognize that they will not change the attitudes of the parents to their precious's's' - yet not leave  it to the Police to resolve out on the street, this way is safer for other road users too.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I can't think of an easy way of providing a similar solution at my school, Pete, as we're located near a main road and a major side road leading into a large residential area. That is to say, there's little space which might be used for a drop-off circuit like the one you describe.

• RMweb Gold

I saw the school collection working in Houston, It seemed quite efficient but drivers in the US in my limited experience are not as aggressive as over here.

I'm quite pleased if I see a Peugeot 407SW leaving a parking place as I know my 4x4 will fit, being so much shorter. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

come back the good old days when I started to walk to school on my own after my first day at school (aged 4.5 years) i managed to get there and back without being knocked flat crossing 3 major roads and traversing some of the mean streets of my home pit village......

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I saw the school collection working in Houston, It seemed quite efficient but drivers in the US in my limited experience are not as aggressive as over here.

I wonder whether UK or German drivers are more aggressive. Can't see how anyone could beat what seems like the majority of contemporary German motorists, though!

• RMweb Gold

come back the good old days when I started to walk to school on my own after my first day at school (aged 4.5 years) i managed to get there and back without being knocked flat crossing 3 major roads and traversing some of the mean streets of my home pit village......

Completely a generation thing. Few folk had cars when I started skool in 1953, so, like you, I walked a mile to skool before my 5th birthday. Of course few perverts and abductors had cars, either, so the risk wasn't really recognised. That said, my mum deffo gave me stern lectures about not getting into cars with strangers.

• Like 3