The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Having led a very sheltered life I'll just have to take your word for it.

Not being a biker, I nevertheless believe bike engine technology has embraced the principle as Debs says, while 4-wheel transport has found less advantage in it. I think the idea is that instead of simply providing springs to close valves in the engine, you provide actuators off the cam, just as you do for opening them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Been an odd sort of a day, not helped by my catching up, and reading Ed's unfortunate news about no surgery.  Let's hope then for some good news that an alternative treatment can be started.

Ford Fiestas - I've had five now over a seventeen year period, and can honestly say that they have been pretty trouble free vehicles to run - economical, and pretty reliable, and the seats have been typical Ford seats - ie comfortable and supportive - I think that one of these would make a good replacement for a Clio. 

Took Lily to have her periodic puppy check at vet's - after one visit, she came back quite traumatised due to having to have an ear examination with an auroscope, and next time she dug her feet in and growled at the nurse, so now we go just for fussing and treats, and she seems fairly keen to get herself though the door, and is getting a lot better with examinations - the practice is not charging us for these sessions, as they regard it as an investment in everybody's welfare - ie when she DOES need treatment, she will be a lot more relaxed.

Anyhows, I'm off and will call again tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Hope everyone gets better soon.

Ed - I've had stents fitted, I even watched it being done, one of your arteries was 99% blocked ? - lucky guy, all of mine were, which is why they took me straight to CCU as soon as the doctors saw my angiogram, it took a bit of clearing but the stents were fitted and I'm alive and well and the change was instant - hopefully they can do the same for you.

Our new Fiesta is superb, but then I'm driving down country lanes and a small, performant, car is handy and fun for those situations.

• Like 2

Not being a biker, I nevertheless believe bike engine technology has embraced the principle as Debs says, while 4-wheel transport has found less advantage in it. I think the idea is that instead of simply providing springs to close valves in the engine, you provide actuators off the cam, just as you do for opening them.

I completely lost my heart to Italian motorcycles, several decades ago :tender: ..............Ownership of a Laverda Jota, a Motoguzzi Spada 1000 and a Ducati 900 SS Darmah, in my teens; spoiled me forever......I even forgave their dodgy-electrics! :yes:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Another in DD's Old Transparency Series:

attachicon.gifSteamRollerDA.jpg

The roller is an Aveling and Porter piston valve compound for those interested in such things.  NHN used to rally one very similar with a friend who owned two. 

As for Ford Fiestas, our experience is at variance, Mrs NHN had a Zetec of what is now two marks ago, it was a good engine looking for a car!  It always felt as if it was unhappy handling wise if pushed at all, despite fitting new dampers, and the gearbox became noisy once over 50k miles.....so it got px'd on a Picasso, which she loved.  That went when we bought a campervan, Fiat X250 based.  I swore we wouldn;t have another Ford, but I now have a Focus estate, TDCi, 1.8, of the last version - impressed.  Oh, I agree about Vauxhall seats - had three Astras, good reliability (250,000 miles in one), awful comfort!

• RMweb Premium

Ah........ It's the motorbikes that have this valve gear.

As I said - from Wiki:

The Mercedes-Benz W196 Formula One racing car of 1954-55, and the Mercedes-Benz 300SLR sports racing car of 1955 both had desmodromic valve actuation.

Speelink edit as usuwal.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

Yo for Jota! Mean bike, Debs............................

Best, Pete.

Happy Days............and at 37p a gallon! :yes:

Oh!...how I wish I owned them still: they are now very collectable. :imsohappy:

..........oddly enough though; the REALLY sought-after one from my beloved-stable all those years ago, would be a Jap!.......my `76 Honda Britain (Colin Seeley) 750 SS: one of only 302 made; a small fortune it would now command!

If I`d only known! :drag:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm in awe of you having a Jota, Debs. I test rode one in '78 or '79, silver frame/orange tank one, I could hardly pull the clutch in....so I bought a CB900 instead.  The Jota was a pig in town, but the sound....oh the sound.....

The one upside was the CB900 got me the girlfriend who has been my wife :spruceup: :heart_mini:  for the last 29 years - she had been looking at it in the shop, and it disappered - only to turn up a few houses along from where she lived, with a young naval officer riding it :sungum:   She still rides too, but she's a BMW gurl.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I managed to avoid the heavy rain for long enough to clean MiL's patio. Also unlike the consultants hired by the property management I was able to determine the cause of the mystery leak. Big Clue, water doesn't flow up a slope.

Our trip to the Ford dealer just to look at a Fiesta turned into a choosing one visit. I did have to lever Aditi away from a black one with spoilers and other sporty bits towards the other ones. Actually the one we want isn't there yet as it is in one of Ford Direct's stockpiles. It isn't one of the hair dryer versions. We should get it in about 10 days. 

• Like 5

And again, watch the take off by this remarkable airplane, the F22 Raptor:

Despite what it says I think this is from Fairford 2010.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

I'm getting on fairly well with the iPad mini wot my son got me. I'm finding the screen just big enough, but the gadget will fit in a jacket pocket. Have watched some telly, it pixcellates a bit at times but is generally OK, can do emails etc, access bank details and, most importantly, keep up on here!

Ed

• Like 7

Pete, it's an aeroplane (sorry, can't do bold yet) please.

Ed

Sorry,  I live in North America where airplane is common usage and as the Wrights first flew a powered airplane in the USA  -  it suits me. I will still use it.

How are you doing btw?

Best, Pete.