The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Friends swear by (not at) their Lexii. Presently got the CT and it is hard to stop them recommending it!

Neighbours have a Lexus. Very comfy but not so good on ice and snow. They have arrived courtesy of a tractor tow for the final bit when visiting their daughter in Denbighshire.

Four out of the five cars that I've owned in the last 20 years have been Fiestas.  

We are looking at a one to two year old Fiesta, probably with the 1.4L engine. The brand new one all the websites and magazines are keen on is a three cylinder 1 L model. I think Aditi would secretly like something exciting and silly but that can wait for retirement. 

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back from the chiropractor - very sensible fellow has said 'no hoovering for 6 weeks' - Mrs Stationmaster (who did not come to watch the torture session) seems not to believe me so it's just as well I asked the chiropractor to remind her on her next visit ;)

seeing DD's latest pic reminds of something which always passes through my mind when seeing those of the female gender steering traction engines etc - why do they almost inevitably insist on wearing shorts and skimpy tops when males are always advised to wear overalls or boiler suits in order to protect against cinder etc burns and to help us stay clean?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Best car I had in a long time was.................... wait for it.................... A Fiat Grande Punto!

1600TDI

£30 pa road tax

Went like the preverbial rocket.

Very comfortable

The only problem being it eats the front anti roll bar drop links and you need to change them every 20k, although the smaller engined versions do not seem to have this problem.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the female gender wearing skimpy tops and shorts last year I found the best way to speed up the depositing of rubbish at the local tip was to load one car up and get my sons girlfriend to take it.

On arrival all the helpers descended on her and unloaded it for her :yes:

My son and I took the other car and just watched as her load was cleared in record time whilst no one came to help us!! :scratchhead:

• Like 4

With regard to the female gender wearing skimpy tops and shorts last year I found the best way to speed up the depositing of rubbish at the local tip was to load one car up and get my sons girlfriend to take it.

On arrival all the helpers descended on her and unloaded it for her :yes:

My son and I took the other car and just watched as her load was cleared in record time whilst no one came to help us!! :scratchhead:

And I bet she felt better too after all that attention!   :O

Neighbours have a Lexus. Very comfy but not so good on ice and snow. They have arrived courtesy of a tractor tow for the final bit when visiting their daughter in Denbighshire.

We are looking at a one to two year old Fiesta, probably with the 1.4L engine. The brand new one all the websites and magazines are keen on is a three cylinder 1 L model. I think Aditi would secretly like something exciting and silly but that can wait for retirement. 

Tony

Tell me about it! Driving home from school in the Lexus (IS200) one Friday after a sudden fall of snow, I thought I was about to meet my Maker as I tried (and failed!) to negotiate a very steep hill and travelled some of the way at right angles to the direction I'd intended! Later a friend pointed out that I should have used the SNOW button! Doh!

My most recent Fiesta, which is a 1.4 Style (59 reg, bought nearly 12 months ago), is very pleasing to drive and has just passed its MOT without any problems.

• Like 1

Early risers??????

It's now 15h16 here. I tried logging on thrice this morning without success!

At this time I got straight on without a problem.

It's lovely and bright and although warm in my room, its pretty cool outside.

Lunch was hamburgers! One of my fellow regulars always asks "Is that with viennas? He cannot get hamburgers and hot dogs separated in his head. At lunch he commented "I've found something I like less than fish and chips!"

Oh well, I'm happy with either.

I hope the weekend is proving fruitful!

Ed, very sorry to read of your health problems. Best wishes for a successful resolution.

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 2

Pete, letters vanished 12 years ago. 01 for first half of 2001. 51 for second half. A 59 reg would be 2009. First 2 letters are the registering office. So for me LX52--- Is Bromley office 2002 July-Dec. L= London E= Essex G=Kent. Etc. so now we are on xx13xxx. After July it will be xx63xxx

• Like 1

Sherry what does "59reg" mean? Have the annual letters gone away?

Best, Pete.

Was about to explain but AndrewC beat me to it! That's a relief! Numbers and me are not too clever, hence I always taught Set 2 for Numeracy! (also known as Maths or Math where you are, Pete)

• RMweb Gold

Sherry what does "59reg" mean? Have the annual letters gone away?

Best, Pete.

We have a new system now Pete - with numbers instead of letters,  So the first two letters indicate the registration town (first letter for the town itself, second letter to provide additional series for that town - e.g my car is 'RV' of which the R indicates Reading and the V is the series they had got to at time mine was registered).  Then come two numbers, these indicate the year and half of that year in which the vehicle was first registered - mine was registered in the first half of 2009 so the figures are 09, if it had been registered in the second half of 2009 the numbers would be 59.  Cars registered in 2010 are 10 or 60, 2011 is 11 or 61, 2012 is 12 or 62 and so on - which means the system can run for something like 49 years before the numbers repeat.

The final 3 letters are simply a collection of 3 letters which thus provides more options than using 3 numbers  So there are loads of, for example, RV 09 vehicles but they are individually identified by the final three letters.  Very simple and clever system.

• RMweb Premium

German licence plates do not give any clues as to year of registration, and generally are fairly customisable. However, the first one to three letters generally indicate the city or district of registration. Certain agencies such as the various state police forces and the German military usually have a certain letter or combination thereof reserved for the first group. Military licence plates thus generally follow the "Y xxx xxx" format, while current plates for Hessian police vehicles are, for example, of the "WI HP xxxx" format – where the first of the four digits indicates the regional branch.

However, several combinations of letters are blacklisted, so that a resident of Stuttgart could, for example, not obtain a "S A", "S S" or "S D" plate to avoid any association with Nazi organisations.

Thanks, I have been in the UK since 2001 but had other things on my mind. In New Jersey no reference to age because registration numbers change with the car ownership. That seems strange for someone from the UK......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

ISTR that kids spotting German plates enjoy Hamburg-Harburg(?) which is HH, apparently pronounced Ha Ha!

Just to confuse Pete further, my Skoda, registered in Tunbridge Wells, was GK51EUA, which fits well with what you have been told. Now, re-registered in Le Mans, it is 2631XB72, where 72 indicates Sarthe, our Departement. But if I were to sell it, or move outside Sarthe, it would have to be re-registered again onto the all-France system in use since 2009. After all, Deb's Nissan Note was 5852XJ72, but when the registration was transferred to me it had to have a new number - CN526TP, but with a 72 on the side of the numberplate to appease those French who felt they were losing their identity(!). While the UK has for 30 years ensured you cannot have a reg number newer than the vehicle on which it is carried - in deference to secondhand values and misleading claims - France gaily re-registers cars with the latest number, irrespective of age.

Sherry's vote for Lexus is certainly borne out by other people I've known with the original IS200, and TBH, Toyota build quality plus 153bhp does sound a good mix in a BMW 3-Series size car. Whoever reminded her about the "snow" button is, of course, despicable. What a cad!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

More confusion , my car has WU as the opening , it is a Bristol number .

W equates to West of England , then U is one of a part series allocated to Bristol .

A to J  ( minus I ) are for the Exeter registration area , K and L are for Truro registration area

and that leaves M to Y for Bristol .

• RMweb Premium

ISTR that kids spotting German plates enjoy Hamburg-Harburg(?) which is HH, apparently pronounced Ha Ha!

"HH" refers to "Hansestadt Hamburg", similar to "HB" for Bremen, "HL" for Lübeck, "HRO" for Rostock and "HWI" for Wismar. German plates aren't permanently allocated to specific cars either, so when you change your primary place of residence, you'll also need to re-register your car. Some states (including Hesse) but have since enacted regulations which allow you to keep your old plates, as long as you move house within Hesse only.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In DD's photo of a steam roller not only is the lady hardly protected but you wouldn't think white shorts would be sensible however ladies often seem to keep cleaner.

I rather prefer the driving position in the motorhome where you are higher up and can look over hedges. This one is on a VW T4 chassis not quite as high as the Peugeot was. Should have been at the ALSRM Reading show today but things did get done otherwise we would have gone off in the motorhome. As soon as we can get the house ship shape it will go up for sail and we will probably set off in the motorhome.

Have a good weekend all.

Don