The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

:( Morning all

Pleasantly not cold this morning in Lancashire - return to work is progressing, as is the movement in my arm - physio is pleased with the progress, but wants me to step up the exercises a bit, and to go to the hospital gym a bit more often to use the equipment. Wow what fun, standing turning a big wheel, while the radio in the department dispenses Radio 1.

Mike - hope Jamie recovers quickly - chickenpox is one of those odd little illnesses that it's certainly better to contact in childhood - it can be a bit more of an issue in an adult. I had it as a kid, and it was over in about a fortnight - calamine lotion is still one of the best remedies for taking the heat out of the rash - old fashioned it may be, but fairly effective. Whilst I don't want to put the wind up you (or anybody else) chickenpox is caused by the ###### Zoster virus, which can sometimes stay dormant in the nervous system for many years, then flare up in later life as shingles - if it does, then it needs to be nipped in the bud with an anti viral treatment like acyclovir or its more modern derivatives.

Possibly won't be back on here for a couple of days, as I've got a couple of days off booked, and may use them to go away - I think I deserve that after the lousy winter I've had!

• RMweb Gold

Hope she feels better soon. I remember having Chicken Pox, and it wasn't pleasant. Measles was worse though.

I'm glad my little guy shouldn't have to face either of them.

Are children in Germany vaccinated against chicken-pox? I didn't even know it was available (I just googled it, it apparently is is the UK, but isn't routinely given). Matthew had a BCG vaccination (TB prevention) before leaving hospital when he was a baby. The doctor (she was German) who did the BCG jab said it was normal in Germany for babies but rare in the UK. In fact when the health visitor saw the mark on his arm at a routine baby check up we had to explain what it was, so this must be rare in Essex babies.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

seen some strange things get taken out by the content filter but ###### gets censored!!!

I noticed that - I suspect that somebody feels that as there is a version of this virus which is covered by what is euphamistically known as the special clinic that the word should be censored!

Are children in Germany vaccinated against chicken-pox? I didn't even know it was available (I just googled it, it apparently is is the UK, but isn't routinely given). Matthew had a BCG vaccination (TB prevention) before leaving hospital when he was a baby. The doctor (she was German) who did the BCG jab said it was normal in Germany for babies but rare in the UK. In fact when the health visitor saw the mark on his arm at a routine baby check up we had to explain what it was, so this must be rare in Essex babies.

Tony

The Chicken pox vaccine is optional - of course, all vaccines are optional but there are a number of vaccines which are strongly recommended and given as standard unless the parents specifically object. Chicken pox is left up to the parents (as are a number of other vaccines). Chicken pox was one of the optional ones that we decided to take up. Rota virus on the other hand we declined - He had rota virus and got over it in two days, I caught it from him and was in bed for a week!

I guess quite a few children must be vaccinated, because it is rare for an outbreak of Chicken pox at his Kindergarten - Scarlet fever is much more common!

As far as I remember, the BCG vaccine isn't currently recommended outside of those groups considered to be high risk from TB (including adults)

Standard for babies are: Diphteria, Tetanus, Polio, Whooping cough, Hep B and HIB (Combination vaccine) and then Measles, Mumps and Rubella (again a combination vaccine)

• RMweb Premium

To be honest, I wish Chicken Pox had been an option in the UK when I was a kid - I got it when I was about 11, and got shingles when I was about 50 - three weeks off work, and quite painful for a long time afterwards!

• RMweb Gold

When Matthew was born 17 years ago BCG wasn't routinely offered for newborns. It was routinely offered if the baby's family came from from places where TB was more common due possibility of catching TB on family travel or from visitors. This did cause an amusing situation. My wife is Indian and she knew that her nephews had been innoculated against TB before they left hospital in London, so she asked if this was done in Southend Hospital as well. They said they did recommend the BCG injection for babies with an Asian parent. The doctor(rather a Hooray Henry type!) then got confused. he decided I must be the step-father as I wasn't Indian and he didn't think my wife was Indian so therefore someone else must be the father of the child. A nice nurse lead him away still muttering "but I don't understand". He was then replaced by the nice German doctor who said all her children had had the BCG vaccine just in case they flew longhaul anywhere. Matthew didn't need a booster at 16 as he isn't considered to be in a high risk group anymore.

Tony

Morning All,

It is quite a grey one here this morning. It is dry at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me if it starts raining before too long.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all... :icon_yawn:

My girlfriend's visiting her grandma till Thursday, and subsequently I had trouble sleeping last night :unsure: . I actually ended up sleeping in another room because I felt so lonely... Oh well, I think a coffee may be due now! :lol:

Have a good day all!

• RMweb Gold

Good news.

Now that the temperature has reached double figures our local council has said that it will no longer ration salt and will resume a full gritting service.

Make it a good'un....smile.gif

Quck question for you guys.

The old back and knees are really playing up this morning having spent most of yesterday hacking down small trees and bushes overhanging our garden. I never know whether you should rest up for a day to give these joints a chance to recover or get out there and work through it.

Use it or lose it is an expression that comes to mind...

On the other hand, is aging something you just have to face up to and accept you can't do as much as you used to...?

• RMweb Gold
Use it or lose it is an expression that comes to mind...

When I cracked my rib last year I stopped walking and cycling (obviously) and for some reason never restarted. I don't know why because both activities I enjoy and find relaxing. I let myself 'go to seed' I have made a determined effort to restart both this year and found I couldn't do either in the way I used to. However, after each walk (I'm leaving the cycling until later) I find I can go a bit further and steeper - and it is easier.

So I guess it is a case of use it or lose it.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Although I walk everyday with the dog it is usually across parkland. I had two days last week of walking about university campus sites and my knees, back and ankles hurt the next day. I have found that if I do woodwork or gardening it is going to hurt the next day. I just do something not to overstrain the hurty bits but get on with something else. I'm lucky that paracetamol works quite well for me for pain relief. I think it takes much longer to recover from aches and pain now than it did 20 or 30 years ago. Apparently old age begins at 58 now according to researchers (front page today, Daily Telegraph). My wife recovers very quickly from things like her fall down the stairs last week, she is now referred to as the East Ham indoor skeleton bob champion. Perhaps it is because she looks much younger than her age she heals quicker!

We are off to Birmingham later today for my mother's funeral.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, If your back and other bits ache too much to do gardening Gordon I believe the only cure is several hours in the train room!

Hope all goes smoothly Tony.

Cheers

Dave